32 replies to this topic

#31 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:46 PM

Just an awful movie. Is that sacrilege? I don't know, just terrible. I mean, there are really no excuses. I keep reading all these posts where people are bashing Die Another Day. I mean, BASHING it, especially the ending. Then, I'll read stuff where they just hate Brosnan. Then, somewhere else, no repect for Dalton. Of course, there are people who HATE Moore, that's all fine, to each his own. But can't we just agree that DAF was an ill-conceived mess?
I know it was a box-office success, which was the reason they paid for The Man With the Swollen Gut (Connery) in the first place, and there were other political reasons that they wanted a light-hearted approach too, I get that. But let's just admit that it didn't work.
How can anyone bash DAD after watching DAF? How can anyone bash Brosnan or Moore or Dalton???
Let's put it this way. James Bond should not be campy. I don't mean to take it too seriously, but that's not what I want to see. No excuses.
But, I think I'm babbling...

#32 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:37 PM

I agree it was ill-conceived. A shame when you think of the possibilities
had they made it serious and used more of Fleming's source material.
I guess it's just the die-hard Bond fan in me that won't allow me to
completely dismiss it, and attempts to put it in context. This is why I
personally feel that Brosnan's era IS the "golden age" of Bond. There
are no DAF or MR, they are all played serious, with no attempts at
buffoonery, and they certainly avoid self-parody.

#33 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 05:01 AM

Yes, I am always surprised at how the Hell DAF came to be. I mean...I don't think the words have been invented that describe what sort of mental blocks must have been in everyone involved when they said: let's try not to make this about avenging Tracy, and let's not even make this about what it's supposed to be about: diamond smugglers.

Why doesn't Blofeld just steal another nuclear bomb (they are near Area 51) and hold the world ransom? I mean, who in hell pays God knows how many millions to launch a lavishly decorated satellite? What happened to the Reynold's Wrap NASA used?