9 replies to this topic

#1 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

So, you think you 've seen the ultimate James Bond spoof?
Check this out!

HELP! Thou Vou, obvious agent 000
Thou Vou, bald agent 000, operation Disaster!

These two films were made in the sixties, right at the peak of the Bond fenomenon. They are considered two of the best films ever made in Greece. Unfortunately, as it happens with most greek films, they are not exported, so, only greeks have seen them.

What is interesting in them, is that Vengos, one of the most popular actors ever in Greece, maintains his regular persona, while, at the same time, making fun of all the Bond craziness around the world of the sixties.

The first film, Voitheia o Vengos, faneros praktor '000' (Help, Vengos is obvious agent '000') finds him as an last year student of a secret agent school. He has some basic training in theory and practice, and then, in order to graduate, he has to accomplish three tasks. For each one of them, he 'll get a grade from 0 to 9, which, eventually will make his code number. Of course, he manages to mess each one of them, thus getting his well earned 000 status. The imdb link for this film is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123313/

In the second one, Thou-Vou falakros praktor, epixeirisis Gis Madiam (Thou Vou, bald agent, operation Disaster- a rather free translation, I 'm afraid), he graduates at last. He, and his assistant, sub-agent MAP 31, find that noone needs their services. Until one day, the first mission is assigned to them. And then, another and another, despite the disastrous failures of the previous ones. Of course, what they don't know is that in fact, it is a cinema crew who assigns them the missions, to exploit their obvious incompetence by filming them in secret (thus, making the first 'reality' show). The film ends with the death of both agents, their ascend to heaven and their application to meet the Saint (simon templar, of course...).

The imdb link for this one, is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184950/

Both films are hilarious, with very fast editing and direction (by Vengos himself), and they are really very modern films, even by today's standards (especially compared to other greek films of the period). They were hugely successful when first released and people would watch them in the cinema for many times in a row, from early morning till late night.

What I particularly enjoy is that, although the are James bond spoofs, they don't actually spoof Bond himself, or the films, but the Bond mania. Therefore, you don't find most of the usual cliches that you might expect in a Bond spoof (like 'spy hard', for example).

You can actually watch the first one online, in the link below, but unfortunately it is in Greek with no subtitles. Still, if you care to have a look, you 'll get an idea of what it was all about, since, some of the gags are visual and not verbal.

http://video.google....961798355021531

Definitely, two of my all time favourite films, internationally.

Attached Files

Edited by pgram, 20 February 2007 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hey, I remember this one!!! Haha, sometimes in the end of the 70s or early 80s I saw the first one in swedish television.

He has some basic training in theory and practice, and then, in order to graduate, he has to accomplish three tasks. For each one of them, he 'll get a grade from 0 to 9, which, eventually will make his code number. Of course, he manages to mess each one of them, thus getting his well earned 000 status.

Don't remember so much about it other than he was aiming to be Agent 007, like his big hero, but failed in the last task to get the 7. As far as I remember it was pretty entertaining. It's a pity I didn't had a VCR back then.

#3 natasa

natasa

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

i believe that the thou-vou movies are just perfect!!!
every time i see those two movies i completely die from laughter!
i would strongly recommend that EVERYONE watches them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 karras007

karras007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

thanasis veggos is the best comedian in greece.
he is responsoble for the creation of the 000 movies, which are the perfect parodies of the 007 phenomenon.
it will be a great idea for the resurrection of those movies, a remake or a tv series!

#5 AnGer 007

AnGer 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

In the 60's Bond-mania swept the world and many tried to 'jump on the Bond wagon'. Greece was no exception. The Connery 007 movies were HUGE in Greece so Greek film-makers tried to exploit that, with various success. Some had only the title in common, like "Eispraktor 007" ("Money-Collecting Agent 007" is my free translation) and "Praktores 005 Enantion Hrisopodarou" ("Agents 005 Versus Goldfoot", with a suprise guest appearance by Mr. Connery himself, you won't believe it when you see it!).

But the two Bald Agent 000 films by director, screenwriter, producer and actor Thanasis Veggos were nothing like the above. Veggos clearly was a fan of the Connery Bond films and he had studied them and his two parodies reflect that (the first film was successful enough to guarantee a sequel, something unusual for Greek movies.) His movies are full of funny gags and you don't have to be Greek to enjoy them. I highly recommend them to all 007 fans! They certainly give Austin Powers and/or OSS 117 a run for their money!

#6 AnGer 007

AnGer 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

Hey, I remember this one!!! Haha, sometimes in the end of the 70s or early 80s I saw the first one in swedish television. As far as I remember it was pretty entertaining. It's a pity I didn't had a VCR back then.

Really? A Greek '60s movie shown in Swedish television? Did it have subtitles?

#7 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Really? A Greek '60s movie shown in Swedish television? Did it have subtitles?

Yes It had subtitles.

#8 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

Back to this topic after ages, but i just found out that the second of the Thou Vou films is available for online streaming.

http://www.stage6.com/user/matakias/video/...eggos!!!

Another really hilarious film. Don't know how enjoyable it can be for non-Greek viewers, but I thought I 'd post it here, anyway, for completion reasons, at least.

#9 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the link pgram, but unfortunately I don't understand Greek. Is anyone aware of a subtitles file in another language?

#10 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

Probably unimportant to most of you, non-Greeks, out there, but today Thou Vou, Thanassis Vengos, passed away. Arguably the most loved greek ever, he 'll be sorely missed by all of us. Not just another funny actor. A really great person... One of those cases that you don't know if you should feel sad that he died or happy that he 'd lived. Still, the only news item that's actually made me cry in years...

May he rest in peace, and may he actually meet the saint, up there, as he requested in his Bond spoof.