39 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 05:16 PM

James Bond goes to Tokyo to battle terrorist Goro Yoshida (whom we met briefly in NDOD). That's what we know so far about the new book. I trust Benson will do a great job with the Japanese locations, but I do kind of wish he'd send Bond somewhere, well, more dangerous. Like the Middle East or Africa. Still...I think Benson is at the top of his game and I can't wait for this new book.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 01:05 AM

It's an interesting connection. I thikn I read the same thing somewhere else but it simply said that NDOD sets up the next novel. Something like that. But I can't be sure!!

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 01:04 AM

Blue Eyes (06 Jun, 2001 01:39 a.m.):
How did you come across the villain info? Does NDOD hint at it?

Yep, NDOD sets up Goro Yoshida as a major Japanese terrorist (he's the guy who hires the Union in this one) so it seems pretty obvious he's the villian in the next book. Of course I don't know this for a fact.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 05:17 AM

Blue Eyes (26 Jul, 2001 12:18 a.m.):
Do you mind if I turn this into a post for the main page Zencat or if you want to write it up you can ?

Sure, you can put this on the main page. I would have written you up an article but I didn't think I had enough info.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 05:56 AM

I'll write it up as a full feature article and send it your way and let you add any touches. I'm not as competent with the novels as you are :)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 03:41 PM

I'm sure Benson will do a kick :) job with Japan, but I can't help feel that he's not sending Bond to some of the most interesting and dangerous locations of the world. If Fleming were alive today, you know he'd send Bond to the Middle East. Imagine a Bond adventure set in Israel or Saudi Arabia or Syria or Iraq or Iran? I mean, this is the hot spot of the world and a region where a spy is still VERY relevant. There's incredible wealth, horrible despots, torture, beautiful women in veils, amazing monuments and landscapes, and God knows what kind of devious plots and dangerous weapons of mass destruction floating around. The fact that Benson is so good with locations tells me he

#7 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 04:05 PM

But does Benson himself knows enough of these countries to write a book set in it?

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 07:33 PM

Digitarius (20 Jun, 2001 05:05 p.m.):
But does Benson himself knows enough of these countries to write a book set in it?

Like Fleming, Benson travels to his locations and does extensive research before he writes the book. Which, if you ask him, is why he hasn't set a book in the Middle East or Africa -- because he doesn't wanna go there! But I think he should. He should push his own limits -- get himself, and Bond, off the tourist track. Or else his books are in danger of becoming like John Gardner's later books -- aimless little tours of Europe with an occasional visit to the U.S.

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 07:31 AM

[quote]scaramanga (04 Oct, 2001 10:19 p.m.):
we are guaranteed certain words and characters will appear and so will a million and one references to YOLT.
There will be a ton of references:
Ernst Stavro Blofeld/Dr Guntram Shatterhand and his Garden of Death, Irma Bunt/Emmy Shatterhand, Tracy, Kissy Suzuki, Bond's son James Suzuki, Magic 44, the weather balloon escape and the events leading to TMWTG, i.e. the brainwashing.
And you can certainly guarantee that some of Benson's mates will appear as characters which seems to be a bad habit he has.
quote]

Agreed, with a sense of imminent dread. Let's have Dr Dave Worrall back. He was such a worthwhile character.

For God's sake Benson, make up some characters of your own. Make them memorable. Stop nicking Fleming's memorable characters. It's very, very lazy.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 09:16 AM

This should interest everyone. I've put up the aritcle about Benson's next new novel (which I'm really looking forward to now) on the main site.

It hasn't been proofed etc... by Zencat, when that happens it'll probably be updated, that if he finds anything to change :) But be sure to check it out!

The direct URL is http://www.commander...testnews&page=5

#11 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 04:13 PM

zencat (25 Jul, 2001 05:25 p.m.):3. Tiger Tanaka will return!

It was always obvious he would return. In NDOD Benson never explained what the movie "TSUNAMI RISING" was all about. Why ?...and why a Japanese related title ?. I have a feeling it ties in with his next one. The title could be literal, or symbolic, since it describes Yoshida.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 04:49 PM

[b]Jacques Nexus (26 Jul, 2001 05:13 p.m.)
In NDOD Benson never explained what the movie "TSUNAMI RISING" was all about. Why ?...and why a Japanese related title ?. I have a feeling it ties in with his next one. The title could be literal, or symbolic, since it describes Yoshida.

Hey, I never thought about that. Sounds like there could be a connection. I wonder...

#13 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 04 October 2001 - 09:19 PM

I'm just nit-picking, but whatever happens in Benson's "Japan Book", we are guaranteed certain words and characters will appear and so will a million and one references to YOLT.
We know that Tiger Tanaka will reappear. Its a possibility that Benson will include Richard "Dikko" Lovelace Henderson in there as well.
Japanese words which will most certainly appear: 'ninja', 'samurai', 'bushido', 'ronin', 'gaijin', 'shinto', 'geisha', 'yakuza', 'hari-kari', 'seppuku'(sp), 'kamikaze', 'katana', 'sai', 'bonsai', 'ninjitsu', 'Bond-san', etc, etc.
There will be a ton of references:
Ernst Stavro Blofeld/Dr Guntram Shatterhand and his Garden of Death, Irma Bunt/Emmy Shatterhand, Tracy, Kissy Suzuki, Bond's son James Suzuki, Magic 44, the weather balloon escape and the events leading to TMWTG, i.e. the brainwashing.
And you can certainly guarantee that some of Benson's mates will appear as characters which seems to be a bad habit he has.
But none the less I can't wait for the book, and we should learn the title soon hopefully.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 05:23 PM

scaramanga (05 Oct, 2001 03:28 p.m.):
I know and sympathise with Raymond over the fact that he has to find the right balance between die-hard fans of the novels like myself and the movie-goers, but WHY, WHY, WHY does he have Bond drive an Aston Martin DB5 in NDOD??? Its from the films for christ's sake! Before the book was released, Benson stated that the Jaguar XK8, which Bond drove in TFOD and HTTK, would make an appearance in NDOD but without any gadgets. Well, I can't remember it appearing in the book can you?

You're right, the Jag didn't appear in NDOD. I didn't miss it. I don't mind the DB5 appearing in the books. If first appeared, I believe, in HTTK.

#15 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 02:28 PM

zencat (05 Oct, 2001 01:02 a.m.):
I don't think there will be as many references to YOLT as you think. I think Raymond is a better writer than that. Too many references and it becomes fan fiction. There may be things a fan will recognize, but I don't think he'll draw that much attention to it. I think RB knows instinctually the balance between a book for fans and a book for the public.

I know and sympathise with Raymond over the fact that he has to find the right balance between die-hard fans of the novels like myself and the movie-goers, but WHY, WHY, WHY does he have Bond drive an Aston Martin DB5 in NDOD??? Its from the films for christ's sake! Before the book was released, Benson stated that the Jaguar XK8, which Bond drove in TFOD and HTTK, would make an appearance in NDOD but without any gadgets. Well, I can't remember it appearing in the book can you?
I will have to slightly disagree with you Zencat, in that, RB won't go over the top with references to YOLT. RB is the king of continuity. He loves to do it.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 07:02 PM

From an interview with Benson by Ajay Chowdhury @ http://www.ianfleming.org/index.shtml

AC: What's next? Tell us what will happen to Mr Bond in your 6th original adventure.

RB: Bond goes back to Japan. Goro Yoshida, who is introduced in Never Dream of Dying, will be the major villain.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 06:22 AM

I think that may be one of his gripes. From memory it's still in Russian control after WW2. But I could also imagine he'd be anti-US simply cause of WW2, he seemed to me very old-fashioned Japan ie. imperialistic and proud. Which probably makes him anti-western as well.

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 June 2001 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the link Zencat. I've been chatting Ajay, talk about knowledge!

I'm quite looking forward to the next novel. I wouldn't mind trying to get an exclusive insight into it for CB.Net. Perhaps an interview or something like that with Benson.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 10:51 PM

Blue Eyes (17 Sep, 2001 11:36 p.m.):
I can't recall, but what was Yoshida actually getting off the Union?

I believe Yoshida was secretly backing the Union in NDOD with a eye towards creating a global terrorist network. The Union was always a "for hire" SPECTRE, in NDOD M suspects Yoshida is doing the hiring. Not sure we know if he's anti-US (although I can't imagine he wouldn't be). I think Yoshida's big thing is to return the Kuril (sp?) Islands to Japan.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 07:39 PM

You know, the more I think about JAPAN as the location for the next Bond book the more excited I become. I mean, think about it, Japan holds a great deal of meaning for the literary James Bond. This is the land where he went at his darkest moment, the land were he finally killed Blofeld, the land where he "lived" and conceived a son. Certainly Benson will at least mention these emotional ties. I wonder if Blofeld's castle is still there? Wouldn't it be cool if Bond returned to its ruins? Maybe the garden of death is still there? In a way, you could look at this book as being a thematic sequel to YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (which is one of my favorite Fleming books). Perhaps Benson should use the rejected Gardner title YOU ONLY DIE ONCE for this book.

#21 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 09:19 PM

YOLT was one of mya fav Fleming books. It's amazing how they differ so much from the films. Where did they come up with an idea about space rockets swallowing russian and american space pods?

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 01:45 AM

Reading what you've written there I'm now really looking forward to the novel. When I first heard about it I had so many reservations. Japan again. Keep in mind I haven't read YOLT, I can't find it for sale anywhere nor in a library.

But with all those ties, all of which I've heard of, I really want to read Benson's next novel know.

Surely, those ties will appear in the book. At first I just though of Bond running around somewhere like Tokyo. But when you put it in that context, with the Blofeld ties and his son etc..., it opens up amazing possibilities.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:42 PM

Blue Eyes (26 June, 2001 02:45 a.m.):
Surely, those ties will appear in the book. At first I just though of Bond running around somewhere like Tokyo. But when you put it in that context, with the Blofeld ties and his son etc..., it opens up amazing possibilities.

I'm with you Blue Eyes. I though the same thing about Japan, then it hit me yesterday how Benson could use it. Now, at the moment, I'm more excited about Benson 6 than I am for Bond 20 (although I'm sure when I see the first pics from the set I'll come to my senses).

In a way, Benson is doing what is rumored to be happening with Bond 20 -- sending Bond back to Jamaica, back to his roots. But, of course, for the literary Bond, Japan is far more meaningful. Of course, Benson will hopefully novelize Bond 20 so...

It's looking like 2002 could be heck of good Bond year!

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 04:33 PM

Dave (25 Jun, 2001 10:19 p.m.):
Where did they come up with an idea about space rockets swallowing russian and american space pods?

Well... I have a pretty provocative theory about YOLT, as to what's REALLY going on that movie, subtextually... But perhaps we will save this for another day... :)

#25 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 11:20 PM

2002 Will be a bloody fantastic year! And all thanks to the CB.Net Media Group .... lol :) Sorry couldn't help it.

Anyhow.

Zencat, we'll save the theory till another day. And it's there alright! It will be on the relaunched CommanderBond.Net which is less than a month away!

#26 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 09:17 AM

Maybe shorter than that, if we could have a few people to help us :)

#27 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 03:28 AM

Well maybe shorter! But who's to say :)

#28 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 10:36 PM

I can't recall, but what was Yoshida actually getting off the Union? Perhaps Yoshida (have I said this before??) intends to attack America via a 'natural' disaster. An explosion under the sea made to look like an Earthquake, which devistates some part of the US with a Tsunami?

Notice that Yoshida is anti-US. As is Osama Bin Ladin (who has yet to be mentioned in anyway novel anyway, so if he exists in the James Bond world I don't know!). I wonder if Benson will change a few key plot points in light of the recent terrorist attacks in New York. Then again, the attacks have pushed Area 7 to the number 1 book selling spot and increased interest in the Tom Clancy novels.

#29 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 01:08 PM

zencat (25 Jun, 2001 08:39 p.m.):
You know, the more I think about JAPAN as the location for the next Bond book the more excited I become. I mean, think about it, Japan holds a great deal of meaning for the literary James Bond. This is the land where he went at his darkest moment, the land were he finally killed Blofeld, the land where he "lived" and conceived a son. Certainly Benson will at least mention these emotional ties. I wonder if Blofeld's castle is still there? Wouldn't it be cool if Bond returned to its ruins? Maybe the garden of death is still there? In a way, you could look at this book as being a thematic sequel to YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (which is one of my favorite Fleming books). Perhaps Benson should use the rejected Gardner title YOU ONLY DIE ONCE for this book.

My thoughts exactly. It's all very clever on Benson's part. And of course, all the Corsica & Draco stuff in NDOD parrallels OHMSS. Yoshida seems to be some sort of Japanese nationalist, perhaps trying to get the disputed Kuril Islands back from the Russians ?...and/or perhaps hoping to create a new Japanese Empire (The Rising Sun)...and/or planning a modern day 'Pearl Harbour' (triggering a tsunami to destroy the U.S. Pacific Navy) ?...I hope he's not a carbon copy of Thackeray, Romanos & Espada ?...all fairly similar characters in their intent. I haven't read all of NDOD yet but the title TSUNAMI RISING (from the novel) sounds pretty good to me for Benson Bond 6.

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 04:45 PM

I've been thinking a lot about terrorists and targets lately...

Seems a Japanese terrorist would target Hawaii in some way. As Bond has never been to Hawaii, I kind of hope this is what Benson has in store for us, even if it's just a showdown set on the islands in the last few chapters.