9 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 05:43 PM

This just appeared on the U.S. Amazon.com site. This is a different plot summery from that which appeared on the UK Amazon site and madaboutbooks.com.

Book Description
On a quiet late-night flight from Tokyo to London, a beautiful young woman, Kioko McMahon, falls ill. Before the plane can reach emergency medical facilities across the Pacific, she succumbs to her inexplicable symptoms. The mystery deepens when police in Japan discover that her family shared her fate. The only survivor is her rebellious sister, Mayumi, who had run off with her gang-member boyfriend several years before.
Because the late patriarch of the family, Peter McMahon, was the head of one of the world's most important genetic research companies, and a personal friend of the Prime Minister, James Bond is sent to investigate the deaths. 007's quest for answers leads to the surviving sister and to a nest of Yakuza gangsters. Along the way, he uncovers a plot of such monstrous proportions that it could only have been hatched in the mind of a madman.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 07:52 AM

zencat (19 Feb, 2002 05:43 p.m.):

On a quiet late-night flight from Tokyo to London, a beautiful young woman, Kioko McMahon, falls ill. Before the plane can reach emergency medical facilities across the Pacific, she succumbs to her inexplicable symptoms. The mystery deepens when police in Japan discover that her family shared her fate. The only survivor is her rebellious sister, Mayumi, who had run off with her gang-member boyfriend several years before.
Because the late patriarch of the family, Peter McMahon, was the head of one of the world's most important genetic research companies, and a personal friend of the Prime Minister, James Bond is sent to investigate the deaths. 007's quest for answers leads to the surviving sister and to a nest of Yakuza gangsters. Along the way, he uncovers a plot of such monstrous proportions that it could only have been hatched in the mind of a madman.

Still sounds like Mission:Impossible 2, even more so now.

Curious.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 11:13 PM

RossMan (19 Feb, 2002 10:51 p.m.):(edited)
I just hope nothing happens to Tiger. I was really disapointed at what happened to Mathis (one of my fav. Fleming characters) in NDOD and just about every ally Benson teams Bond up with gets killed.

I also hope Tiger makes it out intact. I was sad with what happened to Mathis, but I was glad to see that Benson had the balls to do something that horrible to a semi-major Fleming character. It will add alot more suspence when reading future Bond books. For example, when we read The Man With The Red Tattoo and Tiger gets himself into a fix, we won't immediately believe that Tiger is going to make it just because he's a Fleming character.

Benson has shown repeatedly that this is his world now, and he will do what it takes to make a better story. And I like that.

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 10:51 PM

Good work, zencat.

I'm getting more and more excited about this book, definetly looking forward to it.

EON could learn something from Glidrose. How long has it been now that we knew this book's title, even longer ago we learned it would be in Japan and who the villain is and that Tiger Tanaka would return.

I just hope nothing happens to Tiger. I was really disapointed at what happened to Mathis (one of my fav. Fleming characters) in NDOD and just about every ally Benson teams Bond up with gets killed.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 05:52 PM

Here's the plot summery from www.madaboutbooks.com:

"When a British businessman and his family are killed in Japan, James Bond suspects a mass assassination. Investigating with the help of beautiful Japanese agent Reiko Tamura and his old friend Tiger Tanaka, Bond discovers that two powerful factions controlled by the mysterious terrorist Goro Yoshida are playing God. Between them they have created the perfect weapon, one small and seemingly insignificant enough to strike anywhere, unnoticed. With an emergency G7 summit meeting just days away, it

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 05:51 PM

Ooooo....

I'm intrigued.

#7 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:56 PM

Wow! It certainly sounds good and has me very intrigued about the Yakuza theme. I can't wait for May 2nd!

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 12:00 AM

I'll have to see if I can get it in time for my birthday. Should be able to though. May 27th, if anyone's interested!! LOL! :)

#9 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:07 AM

Mister Asterix (19 Feb, 2002 11:13 p.m.):

RossMan (19 Feb, 2002 10:51 p.m.):(edited)

I also hope Tiger makes it out intact. I was sad with what happened to Mathis, but I was glad to see that Benson had the balls to do something that horrible to a semi-major Fleming character. It will add alot more suspence when reading future Bond books. For example, when we read The Man With The Red Tattoo and Tiger gets himself into a fix, we won't immediately believe that Tiger is going to make it just because he's a Fleming character.

Benson has shown repeatedly that this is his world now, and he will do what it takes to make a better story. And I like that.

Don't worry Mr*, in Benson's interview for CBN he stated Tanaka WILL SURVIVE. Still though, the amount of punishment Benson inflicts on Bond's allies is getting out of hand (in particular in NDOD when both Collette & Mathis copped it badly). Hopefully he'll scale it back a bit in the next one. I think if any one analyses the novels you may find Benson also punishes 007 far more than what Fleming ever did.

#10 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 10:58 AM

Although Benson's bio-weapon plot is reminiscent of his TFOD I am still very much looking forward to his new one. That tidbit about the "two factions" has me beautifully intrigued. That's the sort of thing I like.