7 replies to this topic

#1 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

Those of you you familiar with me know that I spend a lot of time on travel status. Reading is one of those endeavors that occupies my time while on an airplane and also serves to keep me out of trouble. Indeed in some troubled-spots I am sequestered, and not allowed to go out and about. In any case, I have never recorded all the books I read, so for '07 I will now log my readings here at CBn.

Please comment on any books that I list in this thread, if you have read them, or would like to read them, or if you just have any questions in general.

Cheers,

Four Aces

#2 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Thus far for Jan '07:

1. Cary Crant A Celebration of Style by Richard Torregossa. This is a new biography of Grant. A lot of it focuses on his style of dress. Grant has always been considered the standard of sartorial excellence. I am always interested in sartorial topics, as my grandfather was a tailor.

2. A World Undone The Story of the Great War 1914-1918 by G.J. Meyer. Non-fiction of course. If you thought WW1 was boring in school, or if you thought it was covered only as a shallow subject, then this book is for you. It is excellent. What a web of intrigue and comedy of errors leading up to the war, and during its execution. This is now one of may favorite titles in military history. Read it and examine the world today. History repeats itself because those living in the present are arrogant enough to believe that they are smarter than those that came before them.

3. Rescuing Da Vinci by Robert M. Edsel. If you've checked my profile you know that I am interested in art history. This non-fiction book tells about the unsung heros of WW2 that recovered stolen art, looted by the likes of Hitler, Goering, and other Nazi leaders. Many folks do not realize that Hitler himself was an artist, and was ever vengeful after having his application rejected to study art in Vienna. There is much in here about treasures stolen from the Netherlands, France, and Italy, in addition to art stolen from fellow Germans. A fascinating read, and I would say no worldly education is complete without this knowledge.

4. The Titian Committee by Iain Pears. Pulp fiction, an art history mystery involving murder and intrigue. Bond-like, but no Bond-like protagonist. This is the first I have read of this series. There's a couple with a love interest that serve as the protagonists in this series. A fun read with a setting in Italy.

Edited by Four Aces, 19 January 2007 - 10:56 PM.

#3 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

No reviews. The list is comprised of books I have already read, as I finish reading them. I won't be writing book reviews on them. I'm just listing them here to stimulate interest in case folks go browsing through their local bookshop or library. And of course, so I can log what I read through '07. I wonder how many books I read in '06. Maybe 25?

The books you mentioned sound real interesting, especially Headlong, so I will look for the same next time I am at a bookshop or library, and maybe pick up a copy.

Edited by Four Aces, 20 January 2007 - 01:44 AM.

#4 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

5. The Iraq Study Group Report by James Baker et al. I don't agree with any of their recommendations. However, the background on what a political and miliatry disaster this has been in the aftermath of the maneuver victory is amazing. This can be read in one sitting.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged. It will be the longest book of my life if I ever finish it. :cooltongue:

#6 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:15 PM

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged. It will be the longest book of my life if I ever finish it. :cooltongue:

I've read all of her works, AS is one of my favorites. I'm a Libertarian, along the Cato Institute lines.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

I've read all of her works, AS is one of my favorites. I'm a Libertarian, along the Cato Institute lines.

Me too. Freedom baby yeah! :angry:

One of my favorite web sites:

www.capmag.com

There are forums, which I'm a member of as Tarl_Cabot but the discussions are often pretty dull...it's always the case of someone preaching to the quire. I wash there were some hard rightys and lefties to mix things up...

#8 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

It's funny. Lefties think we are Right-wing extremists, while Righties think we are Left-wing extremists. Neither has the proper perspective of individual liberty, because both groups are collectivists by nature. They have abandoned the principles of the US Constitution.

One of the reasons I'm an aficionado of The Saint is because he represents Libertarianism in practice. See my profile. I try to do the same in real life :cooltongue: