TMWTRT Bond Girl

14 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty

Smitty

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 10:57 AM

I just found out the identity of the Bond girl in Red Tattoo.

She is a Japanese agent called Reiko Temura.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Smitty! Looks like we have a plot summery.

"When a British businessman and his family are killed in Japan, James Bond suspects a mass assassination. Investigating with the help of beautiful Japanese agent Reiko Tamura and his old friend Tiger Tanaka, Bond discovers that two powerful factions controlled by the mysterious terrorist Goro Yoshida are playing God. Between them they have created the perfect weapon, one small and seemingly insignificant enough to strike anywhere, unnoticed. With an emergency G7 summit meeting just days away, it

#3 Smitty

Smitty

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 11:07 AM

Smitty (28 Jan, 2002 10:57 a.m.):
I just found out the identity of the Bond girl in Red Tattoo.

She is a Japanese agent called Reiko Temura.

PS There is more info on it at
madaboutbooks.com
just go into book search, type in the title & Bob's your Uncle !!! :-)

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 07:30 PM

It sounds better and better day after day!

I can't wait until May!

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 04:12 AM

What a great plot outline. You know it's funny, someone once sent me the same plot outline as the one for Bond 20. I posted it in the forums, some of you may remember. I'll try and find it and raise it again.

I believe the same thing happened when Benson went to Gibraltar.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 04:48 AM

Blue Eyes (29 Jan, 2002 04:12 a.m.):
What a great plot outline. You know it's funny, someone once sent me the same plot outline as the one for Bond 20. I posted it in the forums, some of you may remember. I'll try and find it and raise it again.

I believe the same thing happened when Benson went to Gibraltar.

I remember this Blue Eyes... Something about Bond going to Japan to investigate the murder of a British businessman. I believe we even speculated at the time that it was more likely a plot element of "The Japan Book" than Bond 20. We're sooooooo smart.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 07:03 AM

I've found the thread here.

The plot description was:

The movie will be about how Bond investigates the murder of a English man who was married to a Japanese woman. If the film proposal is accepted, the filming for the movie will begin next year around May and may be released as early as 2003.

Well, it's completely wrong (I gather) about Bond 20. But it seems to have a bit in relation to do with TMWTRT. Perhaps this British businessman is married to a Japanese woman!?

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 08:18 AM

zencat (28 Jan, 2002 04:51 p.m.):
"When a British businessman and his family are killed in Japan, James Bond suspects a mass assassination. Investigating with the help of beautiful Japanese agent Reiko Tamura and his old friend Tiger Tanaka, Bond discovers that two powerful factions controlled by the mysterious terrorist Goro Yoshida are playing God. Between them they have created the perfect weapon, one small and seemingly insignificant enough to strike anywhere, unnoticed. With an emergency G7 summit meeting just days away, it’s a race against time as Bond confronts both man and nature in a desperate bid to stop the release of a deadly virus that could destroy the Western world."

Don't tell me...the virus is called Chimera and the insignificant weapon is a person.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 08:25 AM

Very true Jim. When you look at it in that light, it does sound like Mission Impossible 2. However, you're only looking at a small (and possibly inaccurate) plot summary.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 08:33 AM

That's true. Sorry.

One cannot judge a book by its cover.

The only trouble with that is that I have a tendency to judge any book with "by Raymond Benson" on its cover.

But in the round, that's really my problem and not his. I'm sure he's not that bothered.

#11 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 03:35 PM

Great plot! I can't wait until May gets here. But, surprise, surprise, the Bond girl is an agent. Every other book, starting with TFOD, Benson has had the Bond girl as a secret agent.

ZMT - Sunni Pei, prostitute
TFOD - Nikki Mirakos, Greek agent
HTTK - Hope Kendall, doctor
DS - Heidi & Hedy Taunt, twin CIA agents
NDOD - Tylyn Mignonne, model & film star
TMWTRT - Reiko Tamura, Japanese agent

Notice the pattern?

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 08:51 PM

Interesting point Scaramanga, there is a pattern there.

#13 Smitty

Smitty

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 05:07 AM

scaramanga (29 Jan, 2002 03:35 p.m.):
Great plot! I can't wait until May gets here. But, surprise, surprise, the Bond girl is an agent. Every other book, starting with TFOD, Benson has had the Bond girl as a secret agent.

ZMT - Sunni Pei, prostitute
TFOD - Nikki Mirakos, Greek agent
HTTK - Hope Kendall, doctor
DS - Heidi & Hedy Taunt, twin CIA agents
NDOD - Tylyn Mignonne, model & film star
TMWTRT - Reiko Tamura, Japanese agent

Notice the pattern?

I've noticed a lot of patterns in Bensons books, I've said this before I think but not only is every second girl an agent, but there's is a sexy henchwoman from the country of the main locale aswell :
TFOD - Hera (Greek)
D - Margareta (Spanish)
TMWTRT- (?) possibly Japanese ?
And of course the (what I call) the "land dispute" sub-plot, TFOD was Greek/Turkish Cyprus, D was Gibraltar (British/Spanish) and in NDOD he talks about the Kuril Islands once belonging to Japan, but now Russia "owns" them, so could this be a sub-plot for TMWTRT? I guess we'll find out in May

(Do u think Purvis & Wade took these as an idea for B.20 sub-plot N/S Korea???)

#14 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 03:05 PM

Smitty (30 Jan, 2002 05:07 a.m.):
(Do u think Purvis & Wade took these as an idea for B.20 sub-plot N/S Korea???)

Very good point. It's very possible that P & W got an idea like that. Then again, Benson would have probably covered the North/South Korea angle eventually. :)

#15 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 10:46 PM

I think it's just the Benson Formula, like how Gardner always used doublecrosses, and many of his books end with someone trying to assassinate a real life political figure.

A lot of Gardner's girls were agents too. I find it hard to come up with girls that aren't either an agent or somehow affiliated with the villain unlike the girls such Honey Ryder or Tracy or Christmas Jones. (Think of the movies and books, this is the case for the girls in a fair percentage of them)