16 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 01:52 AM

Just noticed the new Benson Bond book, THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO, is available for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk. It shows a release date of May 2, 2002. True, it might be a little early to pre-order (I'll wait until it shows a discounted price) but this means we may get the cover art soon.

#2 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 03:09 AM

Even with 20% off I don't think I'll be preordering it especially since I've already all the Benson books in US firsts. (though I look forward to the day when I can afford various editions of each book....)

When did we have the NDOD cover art at this point?

I remember reading on the web somewhere, just a few months before NDOD was released, an article about Benson visiting Japan for his next (this) book. That's what I like the about the books over the movies, you already know the locations, basic story, and title well in advance of it's release. I wish EON would follow a similiar path.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 02:02 AM

A bookseller in England (Post Mortem Books) is already taking pre-orders and in their description of the book they write: "Bond returns to Japan to face the terrifying threat of a deadly biological weapon."

Biological weapon? Have we heard this before?

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 December 2001 - 02:22 AM

zencat (13 Dec, 2001 02:02 a.m.):
A bookseller in England (Post Mortem Books) is already taking pre-orders and in their description of the book they write: "Bond returns to Japan to face the terrifying threat of a deadly biological weapon."

Biological weapon? Have we heard this before?

Interesting. He is may be going to extrapolate on the subway Sarin (sp?) gas attacks from awhile ago.

And of course, there is a link to the "mastermind" (his name slips my mind) of that terrorist act in the TWINE pre-credit sequence.

Can't remember if he died in the mayhem that followed.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the alert Zencat. I've just posted the news and created a new section on the site called "Must Buy Item". TMWTRTT is the first featured item. Hopefully it will drum up a few sales for him.

When do you expect the item to be discounted?

Also, could you e-mail me a url for Post Mortem books please?

#6 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 01:03 AM

I hope that we'll get the coverart soon and does anyone know how long it usually takes before they'll post the text from the dustjacket?

I probably won't preorder it(I normally don't) I usually just go over to barnesnoble and pick it up which I'm likely to do again when it becomes available.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 08:12 AM

I'm not sure on a release date, but rest assured we'll feature it as soon as it comes out. In fact we'll feature all of the possible news when it comes out :) So stay tuned!

#8 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 05:28 PM

I don't usually pre-order either, but this time I think I might try to get my copy signed by Benson when he's book signing in London or wherever. It'll certainly be worth the trip.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 01:40 AM

RED TATTOO is now discounted 20% at Amazon.co.uk. It's a good time to pre-order (I just did).

Still no cover art :)

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 January 2002 - 06:10 AM

RossMan (18 Jan, 2002 04:19 a.m.):
I've just pre-ordered the US edition from amazon.com. Also my first purchase at amazon, I normally shop for books on-line at rare/used types of places.

I believe Amazon have a section for rare/used books.

Most likely more for used books than rare ones. :)

#11 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 07:49 AM

Amazon, Ebay and all that, not really for me. Wheres the thrill of the pursuit ? I want to go mad searching all over town, I want to fight with a snotty 12 year old for the last copy in the shop, I want to try and haggle, but then finally accept the outragous price and mumble under my breath "Daylight robbery, this it". I'll get my book the old fashioned, gritty, grubby, painfully difficult way, the only way I know how. :)

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 08:11 AM

freemo (18 Jan, 2002 07:49 a.m.):
Amazon, Ebay and all that, not really for me. Wheres the thrill of the pursuit ? I want to go mad searching all over town, I want to fight with a snotty 12 year old for the last copy in the shop, I want to try and haggle, but then finally accept the outragous price and mumble under my breath "Daylight robbery, this it". I'll get my book the old fashioned, gritty, grubby, painfully difficult way, the only way I know how. :)

Know exactly what you mean, freemo!

Whenever I'm in Sydney on holidays, I start from Newport in the north and work my way down to Cronulla. Then I start working my way from south to north and go through all the inner suburbs. Then I work my way from the outer northwest (Hornsby), then out west to the Penrith/Richmond area, then lastly, all the way down to Campbelltown.

The quickest I've done it in is 16 days to visit EVERY secondhand bookshop in Sydney. I do it about twice a year.

Unfortunately, they seem to be gradually disappearing. :)

#13 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 04:19 AM

I've just pre-ordered the US edition from amazon.com. Also my first purchase at amazon, I normally shop for books on-line at rare/used types of places.

#14 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 07:09 PM

I wonder if the NDOD paperback will follow the previous ones and have the same cover style. That's what I don't like about the US paperbacks, they switch the cover styles around too often. But so far the Bensons have all seen uniformed covers. I hope they'll keep it that way.

I see the cover having the regular Bond logo, and the strip proclaiming it as the New Bond Adventure with TMWTRT below it and the entire cover will be a desgin of the tattoo.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 04:36 PM

The U.S. edition of THE MAM WITH THE RED TATTOO is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com (already marked at 30% off) with a release date of June 2002.

Also, the NDOD paperback is available with a May 2002 release date.

No cover art for either yet.

#16 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 10:29 AM

I really do hope that the cover art is not of the NDOD style. The one used for all the others is so much better - especially HTTK.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up Zencat. I'll order mine tomorrow! Can't wait to see the cover art. Hopefully it won't be too NDOD!