12 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:01 PM

I'm just posting this to sing the praises of the FYEO soundtrack. I like this soundtrack so much, it just rings a bell to me. First, the gunbarrell, music, brilliant, pumping beat and excellent follow up. The title song: wow, i love this song, it is just so beautiful (and sung by the equally beautiful Sheena Easton) and it is used perfectly throughout the whole film. The pre-credits music: well, this may be controversial, but i like the usic used in this sequence. It has the Bond music revamped in an 80s style, and it works! Bond turning the copter round and stuff, the music works all the time. However, the only thing i would have liked to see is the snow music. Used in TSWLM, this would have worked brilliantly in the Bond/Kreigler battle. If anyone would like to make any other comments, say so:)

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:10 PM

The "deluxe edition" CD is IT!

All the music and some great tracks. Track 3 "Take Me Home" is perfect after an evening on the town...assuming you're at YOUR home with the right Bond-girl;)

The additional tracks are super and you get the gun barrel track which I remember hitting me like a slap in the face in the theatre when I first saw FYEO. Another superb piece of work from Bill Conti.

As to other Bond CD's - TB, FRWL, MR, TLD, CR, NSNA....hmmm...I like them all.

I've burned a few CD's that total about three and a half hours of music from every film. Granted, they are strictly my selections, but a few fellow "MI6 people" have requested copies.
Bond music is required when driving long distances.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 10:47 PM

They sound like some interesting CDs Bryce! What sort of tracks have you recorded on them?

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 11:04 PM

I could list the titles of each track, but that's a lot of typing. Real quick though, here are the first 3 films.

DN - Tracks 1,2,4,6,13,16,18
FRWL - Tracks 1,3,4,5-8,11,12,14-16,18
GF - the whole damn thing;)

I really need to make a complete listing or at least, compile all my CD program tracks from the session.

Bond music rules!

#5 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 09:33 PM

Sounds like some nice music you have there Bryce. I will probably buy that deluxe CD you suggested, being as it has the gunbarrel music, which is the BEST one of the series. However, i'm going to buy the CD that has all the title music on, from FRWL to TWINE first, and then the FYEO CD later. The main title theme has got to be my favourite now, it was sung brilliantly by Sheena Easton, and came with an excellant video.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 July 2002 - 03:18 AM

The producers knew (had to know!) what they were getting into when they took John Barry

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 07:43 AM

I'm still amazed that "they" (whoever "theyare) got away with the lyrics to "Make it last all night". It's a pretty shoddy song as a whole, but the lyrics...they're just filth, aren't they?

(Not that filth is a bad thing)

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 July 2002 - 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Jim
I'm still amazed that "they" (whoever "theyare) got away with the lyrics to "Make it last all night". It's a pretty shoddy song as a whole, but the lyrics...they're just filth, aren't they?

(Not that filth is a bad thing)

A similar case could be argued, albeit to a lesser degree, about the The Man with the Golden Gun lyrics as well.

As to the lyrics to "Make It Last All Night", they were co-written by Selby Conti and Christopher West, so I can only assume it was a family conspiracy.

If you want to know what Jim and I are referring to, you can "dance into the fire" and read the lyrics here
:)

#9 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 04:16 AM

Yeah, the lyrics on both are pretty obvious.

On a lighter note, one of my favorite lyrics are from a verse in TND.

Please correct me if I'm wrong -

"Darling you've won, it's no fun, martini's, girls and guns, It's murder on our love affair. It's you, that's your life, every night, while you chase the morning light, you're not the only spy out there."

I like a lot of Sheryl Crow's music and if anyone has had the chance to catch her live, she does do one hell of a show. She's amazing with a guitar.

#10 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 02:41 AM

Ah, finally, I thought I was the only one that believed Conti's FYEO to be one of the superior soundtracks in Bond history, as it is so avant-garde in relation to "Bond Music" in the purest sense of the phrase.

Something that makes me chuckle is on the For Your Eyes Only DVD, when (i think it's) John Glen mentions the choosing of Conti. He explains that they chose him as he was the "closest thing next to John Barry" in reference to musical style. Maybe I'm missing something, but could Conti's inimitable style sound any different to Barry's? As BC put it, the "pumping" bass, the stacatto horns, the decidedly 70s/v. early 80s disco flavour couldn't be further from what Barry had produced in the past (and has produced consequently).

The only track i skip on that (almost definitive) Rykodisc version is the God-Awful "Make It Last All Night", with wonderfully poetic and well thought out [url="http://"http://www.007archive.com/music/makeitlast.html"]lyrics[/url], and a terribly outdated sound (God only knows how they accepted it back in '81).

Still though, no word on these 40th Anniversary soundtracks that are supposedly 'just coming into print'. *Sigh* I'll hold out for them anyway, and try to refrain from buying those AVTAK and LTK imports that would burn a hole in my pocket...

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:21 AM

Originally posted by Dunphboy007
Something that makes me chuckle is on the For Your Eyes Only DVD, when (i think it's) John Glen mentions the choosing of Conti. He explains that they chose him as he was the "closest thing next to John Barry" in reference to musical style. Maybe I'm missing something, but could Conti's inimitable style sound any different to Barry's?

It's funny you should say that Paul, but that's pretty much what Glen said about the choice of Michael Kaman on the Licence to Kill DVD. Glen said that they went with someone that people would hardly notice the difference.

While Kamen's style was much closer to Barry's than Conti, it was hardly unnoticable.
:)

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:45 PM

I think Conti's score for FYEO is just wonderful. As pointed out before, the Bond theme is pumping, and the the main title song is beautiful. A standout for me would be the music during the ski chase, it just grabs onto you and doesnt let go until its finished. I love the way the music makes a bit of a turn as Bond enters the bobsled run.

#13 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 08:37 PM

Finally, two people who agree with me! Yes, I thught that the gb theme was pumping, and the title theme was so beautiful! The snow theme fitted in with the rest of the film, it being a sort of 80's disco theme. What surprised me (when I first watched it on VHS) is that they didn't use the snow theme from the trailer. In the trailer, they used the theme from TSWLM, from the snow theme in the pre-titles sequence. The trailer showed bits of the snow scenes from FYEO, going into it with the FYEO song, and mixing it with the TSWLM snow theme, it did kinda confuse me, but in a pleasant way, the alternative snow theme was just as good.