2 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 08:55 PM

Searching my online sources I'm noticing something interesting about Raymond Benson's NEVER DREAM OF DYING. Seems that copies of the 1st UK hardcover edition are few and far between, and signed copies are non-existent (aside from laid in bookplates which I don't count as they're non-book specific). Benson apparently didn't travel to England to do any promotion on NDOD, so, unlike DOUBLESHOT and TWINE, there is not a stock of signed copies out there. Even the big-time Bond dealers don't seem to have signed copies on hand. And while you can still buy the hardcover on Amazon.co.uk, used copies are selling for $40 and up (twice that of a 1st UK DOUBLESHOT) on the used market.

What's up? When Hodder re-thought the cover art, did they also re-think the print run? Was the print run for NDOD unusually small? Like Gardner, could the later Benson books become the hard ones to find? If NDOD is any indication, it seems to be trending this way.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 09:21 PM

Doing a comparative search (hey, it's Sunday and it's raining, what else can I do?) I've found that TOMORROW NEVER DIES is the rarest (and most expensive) Benson title -- followed by ZERO MINUS TEN and NEVER DREAM OF DYING. Yet, when searching for a signed copy, NDOD is by far the rarest of the three. (And I'm just talking about the UK hardcover editions. Like Gardner, the U.S. editions are plentiful.)

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 05:00 AM

Great news for anyone who owns the book there. I was looking at TND the other day, I say Paperbacks of it going for about $40US.

Hopefully H&S will do a small run on TMWTRT as well! I'm hoping to get a signed copy personally.