20 replies to this topic

#1 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 01:32 AM

I was just wondering how much a UK 1st ed. of TWINE would go for. Zencat I know you know the answer.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 09:33 PM

RossMan (06 Nov, 2001 12:10 a.m.):
Who in their right mind would pay that much for TWINE and TND? And why the devil aren't the novilizations printed in hardcover in the US?

I wouldn't personally pay those prices but I do intend to spend a large sum on TND one day to get myself a copy. I'm one of those fans who intends to get all the originals to display on my bookshelf - so it's something that will have to be done sometime.

As for the hardcover question, I don't know hopefully Zencat will see this thread. I'm sure he'd know.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 06:22 PM

zencat (05 Nov, 2001 05:39 p.m.):
Those prices are insane.

I'm glad you think so too, zencat.

I am not a collector of 'first's or even 'mint condition's so the most I've ever spent for a book in my collection is whatever Never Dream Of Dying retailed for. Most of the Bond books I own, I paid one to five dollars US for. It's good to hear someone who has dropped some serious change on Bond books thinks that is way to much to pay for those books.
(Unless, you're saying they are insanely low.;D )

#4 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2001 - 03:44 AM

Anyone know what a US paperback edition of TWINE sign by RB would go for? I can't belive I got this at Borders book store in Chicago yesterday. It's on the title page, and it's Benson alright.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 10:57 AM

DRATS!! There was a LTK on Ebay yesterday. Hard cover US Edition by the Armchair Detective going for US$20 but someone had bought it with Buy It Now! Wish I had :'(

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 07:22 PM

7777 (22 Oct, 2001 02:32 a.m.):
I was just wondering how much a UK 1st ed. of TWINE would go for. Zencat I know you know the answer.

The last one I saw on eBay sold for $43.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 March 2002 - 03:57 AM

RossMan (03 Mar, 2002 05:13 p.m.):
.....abebooks.com is a terrific site for books, they have anything your looking for in any edition. (thanks to Blofeld's cat for pointing that out to me few months back)

RossMan, you are so kind.:)

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 05:39 PM

Those prices are insane.

#9 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:11 PM

Go to abebooks.com if you're looking for first editions of TWINE and TND. There's a TWINE for sale now at only 25 pounds. TND is ranging fomr 45-200 pounds or dollars (depending on the seller) abebooks.com is a terrific site for books, they have anything your looking for in any edition. (thanks to Blofeld's cat for pointing that out to me few months back)

Not a first, but I just bought a UK TND paperback for 5 dollars US last night. I'll probably get the TWINE UK paperback too soon, I prefer the cover designs of the UK copies instead of the US.

This time, as soon as the B20 novilization is available on amazon.co.uk, I'm going to get it, then I'll hopefully be able to get it signed the following summer when Benson does a signing for his 7th book.

#10 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 12:10 AM

Mister Asterix (05 Nov, 2001 06:25 p.m.):
I am not a collector of 'first's or even 'mint condition's so the most I've ever spent for a book in my collection is whatever Never Dream Of Dying retailed for. Most of the Bond books I own, I paid one to five dollars US for. It's good to hear someone who has dropped some serious change on Bond books thinks that is way to much to pay for those books.
(Unless, you're saying they are insanely low.;D )

I used to just look for the paperbacks at low prices too, but over the past few months I was able to find some very cheaply priced first US editions of Gardner and Benson. I paid about two-five dollars for each of the Gardners, and no more than ten for the Bensons in hardcover from different used book shops on the internet. All in mint condition.

Who in their right mind would pay that much for TWINE and TND? And why the devil aren't the novilizations printed in hardcover in the US?

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 06:40 AM

Thought this may be of interest. Just found this on TWINE 1st being sold. For USD half the AUD.

[quote]Author: Raymond Benson
Title: James Bond. The World is Not Enough
Publisher: Great Britain: Hodder & Stoughton, 1999
Location of Book: New Zealand
Binding: Hard cover
Signed: Yes
Dust Jacket: Yes
First Edition: Yes
Price: AUD$378.00
Subject: BOND RAYMOND BENSON
Description: Hard Cover. As New/As New. 1ST EDITION. Signed by Author. 12mo - over 6

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 01:43 AM

RossMan (07 Nov, 2001 12:56 a.m.):
I saw a listing once on the internet for the LTK US hardcover and had always wondered about it. I just checked and its already been sold, it was only listed for about four dollars. Since it's a limited edition does that make it anymore of a collectible?

Yes, the LTK harcovers (there were 4 versions) are all very collectible and sell for hundreds of dollars. $4 would have been a very good buy. There was also a LTK hardcover bookclub. Maybe this is what you saw?

#13 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 12:56 AM

zencat (06 Nov, 2001 11:31 p.m.):
LTK was published as a hardcover, but that's because a specialty publisher (The Armchair Detective) made the effort well after the paperback release and only as a limited edition.

I saw a listing once on the internet for the LTK US hardcover and had always wondered about it. I just checked and its already been sold, it was only listed for about four dollars. Since it's a limited edition does that make it anymore of a collectible?

I hope that they'll decide to do something special for Bond 20 and have it in hardcover but I doubt it.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 11:31 PM

Blue Eyes (06 Nov, 2001 09:33 p.m.):
As for the hardcover question, I don't know hopefully Zencat will see this thread. I'm sure he'd know.

Sorry, I don't know why the novelizations haven't been released as hardcovers in the U.S. But this is nothing new. Christopher Wood's novelization of TSWLM and MOONRAKER were only released as paperbacks in the U.S. LTK was published as a hardcover, but that's because a specialty publisher (The Armchair Detective) made the effort well after the paperback release and only as a limited edition.

I can only assume the U.S. publishers don't feel the books are worthy of a hardcover edition as novelizations, by their nature, tend to sell to a very limited audience. They don't see them as "Bond books" with a hardcover tradition the way the British publisher does. Too bad I say.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 04:34 PM

I remember there was a great panic among collectors to snap up all copies of the TWINE UK hardcover anticipating another GoldenEye or TND situation. The hardcover was said to have had a print run of just 2,750 copies (James Pickard reported 750) and was said to be OUT OF PRINT before publication.

However, the print run must have been much larger because hardcover firsts of TWINE show up quite often and now sell for about $40 to $50. Ironically it's easier to find the TWINE hardcover than most of Benson's originals. Some dealers are asking over $200 but they're dreaming. I've seen a signed copy go for as low as $30.

One interesting note: There was a 2nd edition of this book released (the only Benson 2nd?) which added Bruce Fierstein's name to the screenwriting credits. I've found THIS to be the "rare" edition of TWINE, even though it isn't a first.

#16 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 06:31 PM

Doh... I have a TWINE hardback first edition...

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 07:09 PM

James Page (22 Oct, 2001 07:31 p.m.):
Doh... I have a TWINE hardback first edition...

Hold onto it. All the UK hardcover Benson and Gardners hold their value nicely (as opposed to the U.S. which you can't give away after a few years) and look great on the shelf. I've said this before, but all Bond fans should snap up the UK hardcover firsts when released. You never know when one is going to turn out to be ultra-rare.

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 11:04 PM

Give 10 years, how much would you expect the first edition to be worth Zencat?

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 October 2001 - 04:10 PM

Hard to say. Certainly it will go up, but it's all about how many are on the market in 10 years. I just don't know.

#20 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 December 2001 - 11:24 PM

I had done some thinking, I was curious about donating this to CBN. Donating that is my Signed US paperback of TWINE. I was curious about people's opinions about keeping it or donating it.

#21 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 04:33 AM

Christoper Wood's novelisation of JB, TSWLM is in hardcover in Canada, and I always thought we got the US stuff! ???

And so are TND and TWINE, but I really couldn't care less if they were printed on an old paper bag. ^_^