This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

POST SEPTEMBER 11: IS THE JAPAN BOOK IRRELEVANT NOW ?:SHOULD 007 GO TO WAR !

21 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 04:03 PM

This is a multi-faceted question. After the tragic events in America, I wonder if any fans out there have any fears that Benson's JAPAN BOOK may become irrelevant even before it is published ?. Think about it guys...the Western World is gearing up for a world crusade against Middle Eastern terrorism and is aiming it's weapons at Afghanistan, of all places...and guess what ?...in June 2002, 007 will be aiming his PPK at Japan !...Will fans negatively react to Benson's next one ?. Although I am sure it will be another exciting and dramatic instalment in the Bond canon, I think fans have the right to ask: why is 007 fighting Japanese terrorists ?...and since when is Japanese nationalism a threat to the world ?. It's not Benson's fault that real events have come along at the wrong time, however, he has always shown a reluctance to send 007 to the Middle East. I'm afraid to say that Benson's penchant for avoiding "touchy" subjects, like the Middle East, has finally caught up with him...like the CIA, he's been CAUGHT WITH HIS PANTS DOWN !. In the recent past, instead of sending our man James to the M.E., he's sent him to these other 'hot spots': Hong Kong (that's okay, good stuff)...Cyprus (exciting, but it HAS NOT been a hot spot for decades !)...the Himalayas (exciting, but I'd say it's more a 'cold spot'...I'm joking ofcourse)...Gibraltar (a great plot, but since when is this a thorny issue between Britain & Spain these days ?) & Cannes (a fantastic novel, but who really cares if hundreds of celebrities get blown up ?. Unless ofcourse if Brosnan was there ! Even 007 himself had the same impression when he first heard the caper from Le Gerant.). At the end of the day, we all know why 007 is going to Japan: it's a wonderful gimmick on Benson's part to tie NDOD & THE JAPAN BOOK with OHMSS & YOLT. Before September 11, battling Yoshida (ironically a Japanese version of bin Laden...that's one thing in Benson's favour which will be interesting to see how he & his caper parallels real events) sounded pretty good...now I'm not so sure. It's a shame in a way that we will not see 007's role in OPERATION INFINITE JUSTICE (not a bad title ?).

Following on (this has now become an INFINITE essay)...You know, one of the more remarkable aspects of 007 is that there has never been a story portraying him in a wartime situation. There were snippets from Fleming mentioning he had a role in WW2 and Gardner mentioned covert operations in the Falklands & the Gulf War...but never a full length novel !. There have been many famous spies who have changed the course of world history. 007 is a secret agent and it's about time he should GO TO WAR !. After THE JAPAN BOOK, it will be too late for 007 to involve himself with current events, however, I have an idea for a future Benson trilogy. Instead of focussing on a new criminal organisation, let's focus on a fictitious ROGUE NATION that becomes Britain's Number One Nemesis ?. Here's the plan:
BOOK ONE: The Rogue Nation plots to destroy or takeover Britain and is foiled by 007 (ofcourse)
BOOK TWO: British forces & the Double-0 Section are now at WAR with the Rogue Nation, as retaliation for the events in Part One; highlighting MI6 and 007's role in the war (shades of current events)
BOOK THREE: The Rogue Nation makes one last & seemingly foolproof attempt to win the war and destroy Britain !. 007 & the rest of the Double-0's are entrusted with the most important mission of their careers to stop the menace deep in the heart of enemy territory.

I think Benson could really go to town with this idea. By inventing an imaginary country with it's own customs, laws, history, evil leader, sinister intelligence chief, etc, etc...this is the stuff that storytellers like Benson would love to do; it's akin to what fantasy writers do, dreaming up a whole new world or universe.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 05:02 PM

Jacques Nexus (28 Sep, 2001 10:31 a.m.):
Where the hell did Benson get the idea for Japanese nationalism threatening the world ?...did he read Tom Clancy's "DEBT OF HONOR" by any chance ?...is the Japanese terrorism plot CONTRIVED as part of the wonderful gimmick to send 007 to Japan ?

My feeling is Benson was inspired (sorry, bad word in this case) by the Japanese subway gas attack. I don't know much about Japanese terrorists, but what I've seen is pretty interesting and scary. That's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to this book. Just as Benson "educated" me on the Greece/Cyprus conflict in TFOD, I expect he'll do the same with world of the Japanese terrorist and their "cause" in The Japan Book.

#3 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 07:06 PM

Just to let you all know, on the subject of "THE JAPAN BOOK", I emailed Hodder & Stoughton about the book earlier today. Remember in Raymond Benson's interview here on CB.Net recently, he said that the book doesn't have a title yet but would need one soon as Hodder was printing their 2002 catalogue. Hodder got back to me saying that the catalogue had got back from the printer's today, BUT the book is still UNTITLED.

My suggestions would be:

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR
THE SUN NEVER SETS
EASTBOUND
THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR
NEVER SAY DIE

Anybody else got a suggestion for the title?

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 07:18 PM

scaramanga (28 Sep, 2001 08:06 p.m.):
Just to let you all know, on the subject of "THE JAPAN BOOK", I emailed Hodder & Stoughton about the book earlier today. Remember in Raymond Benson's interview here on CB.Net recently, he said that the book doesn't have a title yet but would need one soon as Hodder was printing their 2002 catalogue. Hodder got back to me saying that the catalogue had got back from the printer's today, BUT the book is still UNTITLED.

Good work, scaramanga. So the books is still untitled? I wonder what the problem is?

You know, I always liked Benson's rejected original title for HTTK, which was "A BETTER WAY TO DIE." I would say they should just go with this, except for the fact that the last book had "dying" in the title and Benson already used this as a chapter title. But still, if they're stuck...

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 01:51 AM

What if H&S are iffy about the book. Hollywood seems iffy about all the movies at the moment, digitally erasing the WTC, removing scenes with it. All sorts of unnecessary stuff. What if H&S are worried about the terrorist element or something?

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 02:13 AM

Blue Eyes (29 Sep, 2001 02:51 a.m.):
What if H&S are iffy about the book. Hollywood seems iffy about all the movies at the moment, digitally erasing the WTC, removing scenes with it. All sorts of unnecessary stuff. What if H&S are worried about the terrorist element or something?

That could be the case. Certainly media companies are a little confused right now about what will upset audiences. I hope H&S aren't over-reacting.

In that vein, I've heard there's a shot of NYC skyline in the new comedy ZOOLANDER in which the WTC towers are digitally removed. But they

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 11:18 AM

I've spoken to Raymond Benson, and he's said that the terrorist attacks will and has not been affected by the terrorist attacks. There's still no rumour, but the book is due for a May 2002 release date. Can't wait!

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 03:44 PM

Good news.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 October 2001 - 12:57 AM

Ahh 2002. Can't wait!
New Bond movie,
New Bond novel,
New Austin Powers.
"Delicious!"

#10 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 06:51 AM

It's great! But November 22nd is too far off! I need some new BOND in me.

Is there any more news on the Austin Powers film? A release date or anything? Has it started filming, or anything?

#11 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 10:50 AM

zencat (28 Sep, 2001 06:02 p.m.):

Jacques Nexus (28 Sep, 2001 10:31 a.m.):
Where the hell did Benson get the idea for Japanese nationalism threatening the world ?...did he read Tom Clancy's "DEBT OF HONOR" by any chance ?...is the Japanese terrorism plot CONTRIVED as part of the wonderful gimmick to send 007 to Japan ?

My feeling is Benson was inspired (sorry, bad word in this case) by the Japanese subway gas attack. I don't know much about Japanese terrorists, but what I've seen is pretty interesting and scary. That's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to this book. Just as Benson "educated" me on the Greece/Cyprus conflict in TFOD, I expect he'll do the same with world of the Japanese terrorist and their "cause" in The Japan Book

Good points, zencat. I forgot about the subway attacks. The leader of those terrorists was some sort of religious guru wasn't he ?. He was Japan's Public Enemy Number One !. You mentioned TFOD (one of my favourites)...already I can sniff overtones of that one's plot with the JAPAN BOOK...let's hope Benson can stear the reader in a new direction with his next one. At the end of the day, though 007 won't be going to war, I am still anxiously awaiting his next effort !.

#12 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 11:07 AM

scaramanga (28 Sep, 2001 08:06 p.m.):
...My suggestions would be:

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR
THE SUN NEVER SETS
EASTBOUND
THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR
NEVER SAY DIE

Anybody else got a suggestion for the title?

Interesting Scaramanga...I've always thought the NDOD movie title TSUNAMI RISING sounds pretty good, it describes Yoshida perfectly. Do you remember in the YOLT novel when Tanaka and 007 are talking about the Japanese poet Basho and Bond comes up with his own version of a Basho poem. I think it went something like this:
"You only live twice
Once when you are born
And once WHEN YOU LOOK DEATH IN THE FACE".
Do you think it possible we could play around with the last words to come up with a decent title ?.

#13 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 11:22 AM

Okay it's too late for 007 to go to war at the moment, but there's no reason why Benson can't do it in his follow up...it may have to be retrospective, but there's still hope we may some day get a war time Bond story...........so far I've signed up Dave & zencat to my cause......any other takers ?...sign up here for QUEEN AND COUNTRY !!.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 04:18 PM

Well said as always Nexus. I'm sure you seen me post many times how I'd like to see Bond involved in Middle East intrigue.

But re THE JAPAN BOOK.

It's hard to say without knowing the plot, but I don't think Benson has a problem. Take away the word "terrorist" and Yoshida is just a Bond villain with a Bond villain's plot. Had Benson set the book in the Middle East, THEN he'd have a problem because who knows what that part of the world will look like in a year. Events could even work for Benson. You could think of Yoshida's terrorist activities as an attempt to open a second front, or maybe he sees himself as the successor to Bin Laden (as Bin Bin will most certainly be desert dust by May 2002).

Without knowing it, Benson may have played this exactly right. He's on the pulse with Bond fighting terrorism, but he has Bond doing in a part of the world where we don't expect to find it. Bond is doing exactly what a spy should do; infiltrating and destroying terrorist networks BEFORE they strike.

The real question is will Benson add a reference to Sept. 11 to the book? Gardner added The Gulf War to The Man from Barbarossa very late in the game, so we know it's possible to do. Couldn't hurt to simply add a reference to M's briefing, but I don't think he needs to go beyond that.

#15 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 06:35 PM

Just because the book is published in 2002, doesn't mean that it is set in 2002. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the JAPAN BOOK will follow closely after NEVER DREAM OF DYING which is set in 2001, so whats to say that the events in the book don't occur before September 11 2001, therefore bypassing the problem.

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 September 2001 - 07:49 AM

zencat (26 Sep, 2001 05:18 p.m.):
The real question is will Benson add a reference to Sept. 11 to the book? Gardner added The Gulf War to The Man from Barbarossa very late in the game, so we know it’s possible to do. Couldn’t hurt to simply add a reference to M’s briefing, but I don’t think he needs to go beyond that.

I'm hoping we get a reference. A comparison in M's briefing that Yoshida is similair to bin Ladin etc... would give him a lot more character. And get most readers into hating him. Could work quite well for Benson!

#17 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 08:52 AM

zencat (27 Sep, 2001 04:27 p.m.):
Well said as always Nexus. I'm sure you seen me post many times how I'd like to see Bond involved in Middle East intrigue.

But re THE JAPAN BOOK.

It's hard to say without knowing the plot, but I don't think Benson has a problem. Take away the word "terrorist" and Yoshida is just a Bond villain with a Bond villain's plot. Had Benson set the book in the Middle East, THEN he'd have a problem because who knows what that part of the world will look like in a year. Events could even work for Benson. You could think of Yoshida's terrorist activities as an attempt to open a second front, or maybe he sees himself as the successor to Bin Laden (as Bin Bin will most certainly be desert dust by May 2002).

You make some good points zencat. In reply to your opinions I'm splitting what you had to say into different segments so I may be able to articulate my position better. I can see your point about setting it in the Middle East may be a problem, however, that's not necessarily the case. During WW2, thriller writers sent their characters on secret missions NOT KNOWING THE FUTURE COURSE OF THE WAR. Why can't 007 be sent on a WARTIME MISSION ?. The war against bin Laden will mostly involve SECRET COVERT ACTION by Special Forces. Also, the CIA will have to beef up it's human intelligence to infiltrate the terrorists. You can bet most of it won't be seen on CNN. Like the thriller writers of the past, an author can dream up a self-contained fantasy scenario in the context of a REAL WAR. You yourself, zencat, have mentioned many times that Benson needs to write something out of the ordinary, something more dangerous for 007 that could become his FRWL. If the timing was different, Benson would have had an excellent opportunity to do something truly original with Bond, ie, to send the world's most famous secret agent INTO WAR !. All Benson has to do is send 007 on a secret mission into the mountains of Afghanistan; something the world's public will never know about because it's SECRET !. In such a storyline, you don't need to speculate on the future geo-political face of the Middle East because it's IRRELEVANT TO BOND'S MISSION; it's simply a SECRET EPISODE in the REAL HISTORY of the world. Instead of that, fate has decreed that 007 will be heading for Japan, to fight a villain who is as you say: "another Bond villain with another Bond plot" (let's face it...there's a high probability Yoshida is a CLONE of Thackeray, Romanos & Espada).

I'm sure I'm going to love reading THE JAPAN BOOK, like I've loved all the other Benson's....but when the HELL IS 007 FINALLY GOING TO GO TO WAR !!! ?.

Doesn't any one else think a wartime mission will bring something UNIQUE to the literary Bond canon ?.

#18 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 09:15 AM

I agree with you Nexus. It would be great to see Bond in war doing covert special operations. More espionage.

#19 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 09:31 AM

[b]zencat (27 Sep, 2001 04:27 p.m.):[/b
...Without knowing it, Benson may have played this exactly right. He's on the pulse with Bond fighting terrorism, but he has Bond doing in a part of the world where we don't expect to find it. Bond is doing exactly what a spy should do; infiltrating and destroying terrorist networks BEFORE they strike.

As you say, Benson is tackling terrorism in THE JAPAN BOOK, which is a good point in it's favour. You also say: "doing it...where we DON'T EXPECT to find it". Very well said, zencat, because that's the problem I have with Benson's scenario. Japan is so far removed from Operation Infinite Justice, I fear it is ALMOST laughable. Where the hell did Benson get the idea for Japanese nationalism threatening the world ?...did he read Tom Clancy's "DEBT OF HONOR" by any chance ?...is the Japanese terrorism plot CONTRIVED as part of the wonderful gimmick to send 007 to Japan ?.

I'm heading into controversial territory here...after 5 novels, as exciting, dramatic and entertaining as they are...has Benson ADDED to the Bond canon ?...or has he maintained the STATUS QUO ?. When Mr Benson finishes writing Bond novels...what will be his LEGACY to the Bond canon ?. (I think I will pursue this question in a new topic some day).

#20 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 09:41 AM

scaramanga (26 Sep, 2001 07:35 p.m.):
Just because the book is published in 2002, doesn't mean that it is set in 2002. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the JAPAN BOOK will follow closely after NEVER DREAM OF DYING which is set in 2001, so whats to say that the events in the book don't occur before September 11 2001, therefore bypassing the problem.

Hey...very clever Scaramanga !. You may be right. Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing.
Anyhow...what do you think about the idea of sending 007 into war ?.
It's funny how the world's most famous secret agent hasn't had a full length wartime story written about him yet.

#21 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 09:48 AM

Dave (28 Sep, 2001 10:15 a.m.):
I agree with you Nexus. It would be great to see Bond in war doing covert special operations. More espionage.

Congratulations Dave...you are my first convert to the cause !. You and I should lead a Bond fan CRUSADE (a Jihad !) to get 007 to go to war. Any other converts ?...if yes...please leave your messages here. Thank you.

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 04:52 PM

Jacques Nexus (28 Sep, 2001 09:52 a.m.):
All Benson has to do is send 007 on a secret mission into the mountains of Afghanistan; something the world's public will never know about because it's SECRET !. In such a storyline, you don't need to speculate on the future geo-political face of the Middle East because it's IRRELEVANT TO BOND'S MISSION; it's simply a SECRET EPISODE in the REAL HISTORY of the world.

Hummm, yes, yes, I can see this. This could really be something very interesting. I do think you're onto something here, Nexus. I still worry about how fast events could render a wartime plot obsolete -- for instance, what if there isn't a war in 2003? But then again, so what! This is a story about what Bond did DURING the war. Yes, I'm with you on this Nexus. Okay, SEND BOND TO WAR!