38 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 02:22 AM

It's been one of the most discussed roles for Die Another Day and one of the most confusing as well. It has long been debated whether or not Madonna will have a role in the next James Bond film. Moreover, how she'll actually appear in the film has also been heavily speculated.

To date, the most popular theory has been that Madonna would appear in Die Another Day as the Scorpion Girl, a character who is involved in the torture of Bond. However, CommanderBond.Net has learnt otherwise.

Madonna's role in Die Another Day will be that of a fencing instructor. The scene that Madonna features in will take place at the Blades Club in London. The scenes at Blades do involve James Bond dueling villain Gustav Graves both inside and outside of Blades, however, audiences will only see Madonna inside. The singer recently filmed her cameo role at Pinewood Studio's outside of London.

We're told that Madonna's scenes in the film may have been cut down, possibly due to time restraints. Originally her fencing instructor character had a fair sized role in the Blades sequence. Rumours describing a scene where Madonna and Halle Berry's character, Jinx, kiss are all false. Berry is already back in the United States filming for the second X-Men film.

Despite the possibility of a smaller role, there is also the possibility of seeing Madonna outside of the Blades club. Director Lee Tamahori has previously revealed that Madonna was having a dress specially designed for her work in the film by fashion house Versace.
Thanks to 'Rupert' for helping out with this article.

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 July 2002 - 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Madonna's role in Die Another Day will be that of a fencing instructor. The scene that Madonna features in will take place at the Blades Club in London. The scenes at Blades do involve James Bond dueling villain Gustav Graves both inside and outside of Blades, however, audiences will only see Madonna inside. The singer recently filmed her cameo role at Pinewood Studio's outside of London.

Wow! I only suggested such a possible scenario to Xenobia in an MSN chat not 15 minutes ago.

Finally, Madonna's role can be truthfully told. For such a small part of Die Another Day, it was receiving a lot of attention, but then that's Madonna for you, and most likely something that Eon has paid good money to achieve - extra publicity.

#3 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 03:22 AM

Interesting! So is she actually going to use a sword which I don't believe she's had time to train with or will she stand around and just hold one? (one hopes) :)

MBE

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 03:49 AM

well, I wish she wasn't in the movie at all....

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 03:59 AM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
So is she actually going to use a sword which I don't believe she's had time to train with

A lot of people keep mentioning 'training'. I don't see the big issue. As long as she's not using a sword with the ferocity of Bond then there would be no risk. She'll probably use a foil with a rubber end (as most have) and as a trainer would only be performing fairly small movements.

#6 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 04:12 AM

Yeah I don't see her needing extensive training. She is'nt doing a "Musketeers " film afterall. i can't wait to see this!

#7 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 04:28 AM

A lot of people keep mentioning 'training'. I don't see the big issue. As long as she's not using a sword with the ferocity of Bond then there would be no risk. She'll probably use a foil with a rubber end (as most have) and as a trainer would only be performing fairly small movements.

But aside from the risk (and like you I'm sure they wouldn't risk her injuring Brosnan, think of the insurance costs! LOL) if she's suppossed to be an instructor and be at all believable she would have to know how to hold and use the sword (or foil) even in small compact movements wouldn't she? It is a skill, you don't just swish a foil around and look believable (especially when everyone else around you does look believable and has trained), a few lessons would be a good idea. But she's known about the cameo for some time so she could have taken a few lessons, so who knows.

MBE

#8 DerrickD

DerrickD

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 07:38 AM

Hey all,

I wouldn't worry about Madonna's "training". She had a mechanical bull installed in her own backyard to perfect her riding for a few seconds at the end of her "Don't Tell Me" video where she rides a bull. She's a perfectionist. Watch her work that sword like nobody's business...

#9 robster006

robster006

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 10:07 AM

I absolutely agree with DerrickD. To Madonna, any swordfighting movement would just be another choreography which she will execute with perfection. She always wants to do everything perfectly, so she'll get the hang of this as well. As long as she doesn't have to go into an extensive fight with Bond or Graves. I do however think Bond will use his charm on her and that she will be very strict and maybe useher sword to make sure Bond doesn't bother her again. Well, at least we know a few rumors are out of the picture: The lesbian kiss, Scorpion Girl and the rumor where she won't have any speaking parts in the movie. Too bad she won't be Scorpion Girl, but hey, you can't have it all, right? I'm sure it will be a blast!!!

Have a great day!!!

ROB

#10 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 08:16 PM

As I have suggested in another thread, I think Madonna and Bond would be fencing against Graves and Frost, when suddenly things get a little heated between Mr. Bond and Mr. Graves. Miss Frost and Miss WhoeverMadonnaWillBe wisely decide to let the big boys fight it out.

And yes....folks need training with a sword, so it looks believable. Yes Madonna has flexiability and she is a quick study, so she should be OK...

That being said, I have read of occasions (and seen with my own eyes) normally sane people turn into Don Diego dela Vega when given a sword to play with.

Translation...everyone needs instruction so they do not look like insane people wielding a weapon.

-- Xenobia

#11 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 09:11 PM

I think it's really cool that Madonna is in this movie,I just am not sure i'm buying that she's "just a fencing instructer". I just feel that there is some kind of twist or special meaning behind her role however limited or not it turns out to be. I don't think the producers would ask her or she would bother doing it unless there was some kind of "red herring/surprise" factor central to the story. To me this new information only raises more questions.:)

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 11:27 PM

The singer recently filmed her cameo role at Pinewood Studio's outside of London.

Correcting myself, she's still filming the scenes. She wasn't doing the Sunday filming, but rather a Monday filming!

#13 DerrickD

DerrickD

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 12:28 AM

Hey all,

Didn't the director say that he had arranged a TWO-DAY shoot for Madonna?

#14 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 01:32 AM

Just thought I'd let you know that Madonna HASN'T filmed her scenes yet. In fact, she begins filming with Brosnan tomorrow. I've got a very reliable source on the matter so I think it's very safe to say he's correct.

#15 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 01:50 AM

She must have done some filming prior to her scenes with Brosnan. Tamahori did say she was doing a two day shoot afterall,perhaps she'll be finishing her scenes all together tommorrow.

#16 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 02:49 PM

From The Evening Standard Online:

http://www.thisislon..._text_id=606355

Madonna lands role in Bond movie

Madonna has been filming a cameo role as a fencing instructor in the new James Bond movie.

The 43-year-old singer has been seen wielding a foil at Pinewood Studios for Die Another Day.

She has shot a sequence that will be edited into a swashbuckling scene in which Pierce Brosnan, as Bond, duels with villain Gustav Graves, played by Toby Stephens, at a London gentlemen's club.

The scene was shot at the Reform Club in Pall Mall, which doubles as the Blades Club in the movie.

Madonna, who has recorded the title track to this, the 20th Bond movie, had fencing lessons for the part in which she wears an outfit designed by Donatella Versace.

========================================================

As for the two days that was an earlier estimate by Tamahori, and her part was reportedly cut down because of scheduling. It is a cameo afterall, not a supporting role, and if she can shoot it in one day it's probably around a couple of minutes or less of screen time for her.

MBE

#17 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 03:05 PM

Perhaps they will have a double fencing, then they cut to her when she takes off her helmet/mask (whatever u call'em).

#18 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Icepheonix

Perhaps they will have a double fencing, then they cut to her when she takes off her helmet/mask (whatever u call'em).

The above Evening Standard article said she was in fact taking fencing lessons for the role, which as noted above makes sense for the perfectionist she is.

MBE

#19 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra

The above Evening Standard article said she was in fact taking fencing lessons for the role, which as noted above makes sense for the perfectionist she is.

MBE

Ah, sorry my dear, my laziness prevented me from using my head.

#20 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 05:34 PM

Just a small note...

Commanderbond.net has been mentioned as source at the world's biggest independent music website, dotmusic.com

=> http://www.dotmusic....2/news25709.asp

Mon 8 Jul 2002 17:15
MADONNA DRAWS SWORDS

Madonna will appear as a fencing instructor in the new James Bond film, 'Die Another Day', dotmusic has learnt.

Fans were left guessing which part the Queen of Pop would play, after Bond star Pierce Brosnan unwittingly recently announced she would be appearing in the film.

At first it was thought that Madonna would appear as 'Scorpion Girl' - a character involved in the torture of Bond, but fan website, commanderbond.net claims the 'Material Girl' has recently finished filming the part of a fencing instructor at Pinewood studios near London.

The website also states that rumours of an on-screen kiss between Madonna and Halle Berry are untrue.

Director Lee Tamahori had already revealed that Madonna had a Versace dress designed especially for the film.

In addition to her acting part, Madonna will also contribute the theme tune for the film, which hits cinemas in November this year.

#21 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 05:48 PM

Hmmm. You know, I'm not sure that the fencing outfit would require a suit made by Donatella Versace, as mentioned in the Evening Standard. Unless it's something as extravagant as being lined with sequins or diamonds or something. I suppose that this type of outfit would suit the personality of Madonna, though. Anyway, this news is very good to hear.

#22 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Tim007
Just a small note...  

Commanderbond.net has been mentioned as source at the world's biggest independent music website, dotmusic.com  

CBn has also been mentioned at [url="http://"http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1026135846,13691,"]ComingSoon.net[/url] and [url="http://"http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30500-12028749,00.html"]SkyNews[/url]!

Now that's cool :)

Isn't it, James?

#23 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 06:32 PM

From the Mirror's 3AM column:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/

Take it for what it's worth, probably not much, but I think it's funny. :):

MADONNA IN LESBIAN BONDAGE

She's known as a control freak, but Madonna's latest demand - to play a lesbian fencer in the new Bond movie Die Another Day - must rate among her more extraordinary requests.

And, we can reveal, it's all because her character doesn't get to bed the gorgeous film lead Pierce Brosnan.

When Madge discovered that, contrary to custom, she wouldn't be indulging in any passion with 007, she insisted that her character must, therefore, be gay.

And the Queen of Pop has got her way.

"Madonna was furious movie bosses didn't want her to be a traditional Bond girl," says our source.

"All the Bond babes get to romp with the English agent but when she saw the script, Madge demanded to know why she couldn't at least kiss him.

"In the end, she persuaded the bosses to let her play a lesbian instead.

"She is practically the only female in the film who doesn't canoodle with Bond - although it wasn't because she isn't considered sexy enough to be classic Bond girl material.

"Madonna likes to be controversial. She's getting a real kick out of the idea that she is the first lesbian Bond girl."

For her scene, she will wear a dress specially designed for her character by Donatella Versace.

We are also informed that the Material Girl is hoping to spice up her brief scene by drafting in a pal - who has previously worked with hubby Guy Ritchie - to give her dialogue a bit more sparkle.

"Not even the leading stars like Halle Berry have made these type of requests," says our spy.

MBE

#24 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 07:43 PM

I just saw something unbelivable...

MTV Germany. Newsmag. A report about Madonna's cameo in 'DAD'. The voice said "as an internet site says..." and well, suddenly "www.commanderbond.net" faded in... :eek:

******** H*** !!!

#25 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
Hmmm. You know, I'm not sure that the fencing outfit would require a suit made by Donatella Versace, as mentioned in the Evening Standard. Unless it's something as extravagant as being lined with sequins or diamonds or something. I suppose that this type of outfit would suit the personality of Madonna, though. Anyway, this news is very good to hear.

I know for a fact that Madonna's costume is not being made by Versace. It was designed by Lindy Hemming and was created by a London company (I forget the name). I know the guy who made that costume (that's also why I know Madonna is filming today) and Halle Berry's belt.

#26 robster006

robster006

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 11:08 PM

So could you tell us a bit more about the costume then? Is this the only one she will be wearing or will she make another guest appearence somewhere else?

Have a great day!!!

ROB

#27 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 01:04 AM

Very impressive to see the CBn on Sky News and MTV! Brought a big smile to my face, so thanks for letting me know Tim :)

Despite what Lee has said (something I can't confirm or deny) about the Versace dress, I have also heard the same as Jordan about the costume. However, the name Madonna wasn't attached to it. The person was told the fencing costume was for a special cameo.

#28 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 July 2002 - 01:25 AM

While on the subject of fencing, I saw an article on the West Australian newspaper's website in which it stated:

Spoiler

This shows how pivotal this scene is to the movie's plot.

#29 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 04:26 AM

Madonna's "cameo" seems to have taken on a life of it's own in terms of it's relation to the films overall plot. All I have to say is Tamahori must have something killer up his sleeve. I do believe all the attention surrounding her role in the film has really increased the buzz level,which is a good thing. Btw it's really cool to see "cbn" mentioned all over the net as the source for all breaking Bond news,and I must confess I gather entertainment news for a few websites and I have been referencing this site as a major source of infallible Bond news and information.
Keep up the good work guys:)

#30 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 04:49 AM

Originally posted by robster006
So could you tell us a bit more about the costume then? Is this the only one she will be wearing or will she make another guest appearence somewhere else?

Have a great day!!!

ROB

Hi Rob,

As I understand it the costume is nothing more than a fencing outfit. I assume there are some traditional Bondian touches to it, but apparently nothing spectacular. The again, I've never touched it and I've never seen it -- I just know what I've been told about it (which isn't much) I've heard Madonna's role is comprised of nothing more than a few seconds of screen time.

Back to Pierce Brosnan (1995-2002)