What does everybody think of it?

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:51 AM

One of the most memorable and moving scenes in the entire Bond series. I always get a little choked when I hear Bond say, "We have all the time in the world."

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:36 AM

Same here. I think the film closed nicely with the shot of the bullethole in the windshield.

Did anyone else think the use of the James Bond theme for the end credits was a bit inappropriate? I think it would have worked better with "All the Time in the World" or the OHMSS theme itself (though possibly toned down a bit).

#4 Max Zorin007

Max Zorin007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 04:25 AM

the ending is what makes ohmss a one of a kind movie. it just wont happen again in a 007 movie. an yes i alwas hought the 007 theme was a bit un appropriate but then again we have al the time in the world would have been too predictable.

#5 Number Eleven

Number Eleven

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 09:59 PM

The ending always gets to me which is why, even though it is one of my top three movies, I don't watch it very often. The Bond theme during the credits does seem like it would be inappropriate, but I have always found it somewhat uplifting.

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 12:32 AM

I remember in college screening OHMSS in my dorm room for a group of "new" friends. Everyone quite enjoyed it as they all had not seen it. Until the last scene...

Talk about bummed out. I quickly put in DAF and let them all watch the teaser. Of those present, the girls were the one's who were thrilled that Bond immediately got revenge.
If it had been Connery, he might have gotten an Oscar (or at least a nomination) out of it. George was pretty good all things considered. Not a lot of young actors would have stepped into that role behind Sir Sean.

#7 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:36 PM

I lost my fiance 3 yrs ago, and it's really bloody hard to watch OHMSS's climax anymore. The song enough by Louis Armstrong is still difficult as well. I knew I was in deep **** when I actually told her after being with her a few months, "We have all the time in the world." Stupid.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 07:19 PM

Bummer

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 10:18 PM

Good God, that would really make On Her Majesty's Secret Service a hard one to watch.

#10 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 06:22 PM

I'll tell you one thing though. For a long time after what happened 3 years ago, the first ten minutes of Diamonds Are Forever were the most therapeutic cinematic moments to revel in.

#11 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:08 PM

Crown - Sorry for your loss. I lost someone once.

The phrase everyone uses is "time heals all wounds." It's never what you want to hear, but (given time) it is quite true.

Time heals all...and some 007 in the right dose helps too.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:21 PM

It's interesting you should mention DAF IrishCrown. I have to admit, I've never been in your situation. So as a somewhat 'outsider' to the situation, I've always viewed the start of DAF and really wondered if that's what Bond would do. It's never struck me as the right thing. It feels... disjointed. Maybe it's just the retun of Connery. I don't know.

#13 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:26 PM

Having something like that happen sure changes your outlook on life, that's for sure. However, here I am 3 yrs later one semester away from getting my BA. I'm moving back to Wichita in December so I can get started on my MA in January. The wonderful thing about this is that I am moving back to the city in which she and lived. Granted, I am going to be living on the opposite side from where we lived and spent most of our time, it's still going to be tough. But...I think it's still doable.

#14 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:35 PM

IC, you have my sympathy:(.

#15 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 03:22 PM

Well, you know, it's weird to look at a Bond movie of all things and actually relate to something. You have Bond who finally finds something that's eluded him for so long, and he is actually making plans with her about the rest of their life what they are going to do. You know, you hear them talking about how many kids they are going to have, that kind of thing. And then, well, you know...
It's kind of strange to be here writing this, especially after reading the other contextual studies of the other Bond movies where the writers find some hidden meanings in the characters and situations. For me, OHMSS is a good Bond movie, but still gut-wrenching to watch. Anyone who's lost anyone close to them can watch this movie and really suffer along with Bond, I suppose. It's..
It's still a good movie.

#16 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 01:25 PM

I find quite sad but it is a very good movie i think. Lazenby really played it well but it always sends me quiet when he says "we have all the time in the world"

#17 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 02:05 PM

It's interesting that OHMSS is the film quoted by Brosnan as the one he would like to remake with him as Bond given the chance.

It really is the most harrowing sequence in any Bond film, the chance to see JB at his lowest ebb. I think Lazenby does a splendid job with the scene - for someone not as comfortable with acting as the other Bonds, truly superb.

There are only a few scenes in the series to even get close to the emotional intensity of the final reel of OHMSS (but none match it):

Quarrel's death in Dr No
XXX finding out that Bond had killed her lover in TSWLM
The death of Paris Carver in TND
Desmond Llewelyn's final scene in TWINE