62 replies to this topic

#61 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:18 AM

And I'm 100% sure that's the most outlandish moment of the film.

Good to hear. I like it, but I prefer my over-the-top...ness in small doses.

And yes, I too have seen some crazy free running (and other stunts) before, so this doesn't even strike me as that extreme, but I can see where tdalton is coming from. At least (it seems most have agreed) the Indy-style gun toss will be a definite crowd-pleaser. :)

#62 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:40 AM

I found the scene to be a bit of a disappointment. The hand-to-hand combat stuff was excellent, but it was all ruined for me while watching the guy jumping off the crane and off the building. That part just looked too cartoonish and looked like something that belongs in a Spiderman film.

So much for going back to Fleming. :)

If Ian Fleming were alive, free running or parkour is exactly the kind of exotic yet real element he would put in a Bond novel (or suggest to his boss in Naval Intelligence). He thrived on things like that and collected strange bits of information during his travels to put in his novels.

You clearly have a problem with the free running. In several posts you compare Mollaka (played Sebastian Foucan) looks like Spider-Man. I don't understand why you keep saying that. These aren't superpowers Foucan's character is exhibiting. He's doing those jumps for real.

Let me repeat that: FOUCAN IS PERFORMING THOSE JUMPS FOR REAL.

Don't paint it as unrealistic. It's not. Also, it's far more realistic than things that Fleming did write: Oddjob's hat for example.

He's showing off his extraordinary athletic prowess in the sport that he invented with David Belle. That he looks at all like a superhero is testament to his abilities alone. EON was wise to glom on to Foucan for the sequence. Fleming would go nuts to show off something like that in one of his stories. Believe it.

#63 DaltonCraig

DaltonCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

I think that they would have been better off reworking that entire scene so that it didn't have any shots of whoever the guy Bond is chasing jumping from ridiculous heights. It looked ridiculous in the trailer, and it looks ridiculous in the actual footage from the film. If all of the action in CR is like this, it'll be lucky if it's better than DAD.

I had hoped that I'd be paying money to see a Bond movie on November 17, not a Bond vs. Spiderman film.

Come on TDALTON, lighten up!

I mean even Timothy "Ian Fleming's Bond" Dalton popped a wheelie with a tanker truck! LOL!