This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Which Benson book would you like to see made into a movie?

31 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 05:09 PM

For me it's a toss up between NEVER DREAM OF DYING and HIGH TIME TO KILL. While NDOD might make a better, more traditional, Bond movie, HTTK might be just what the series needs at the moment -- something a little different to give it a kick in the pants and bring in a few folks who normally don't go see Bond movies. Any thoughts? What about the Gardner books?

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 12:48 PM

simon (05 Sep, 2001 12:54 p.m.):

Boldman (25 Jul, 2001 06:38 p.m.):
Good.

The day they use a Benson novel for a Bond film will be day I go and see something else instead.

Totally with you on that one. His books are nothing more than testament to his knowledge on the "history" of James Bond with absolutely no ability to create a future. Knowing smiles and nodding winks to the Bond fraternity are about all he's good for.

But then the day I heard they were going to use a Bond fan, it was obvious that this was all we were going to get.

Why the vehemence - well it is my belief that an author needs two distinct things to be successful. A varied and well travelled past from which to draw upon for outlines and characters. And the ability to tell a story. And our man Benson has neither.

A computer games whiz togther with a holiday up a mountain do not an author make.

Neither does lifting bits from Razzle.

I couldn't agree more with you. The reference to Dr David Worrall in Never Dream of Dying was wretched. Benson is a show pony; doubtless he knows about James Bond (woo hoo; a fictional character, fact fans), but he just reminds me of that moment in The Simpsons when (for reasons I forget) a nuclear missile heads straight for the comic store chap...."oh, I've wasted my life".

Benson bain't a writer. He's a fan. That is dangerous. He will write books for his beardy chums. Fleming wrote books for the general public. Did Fleming's books sell? Do Benson's books sell?

He's giving it a go, no doubt. Doubtless he "cares" about the character.This is a problem. In Fleming's books, the continuity is all over the place, because I suspect he couldn't have given a tupenny damn. Never let the fans get in the way of a good story.

This is another reason why continuity references in the films are generally a bad idea. Don't alienate the audience with knowing winks and nods. It's very anal. It's also massively exploitative of the "fans". You will ultimately feel cheapened if Bond 20 is full of them at the expense of the thing that sometimes passes as a "plot".

Trust me.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 12:08 PM

Do you think they would just use Benson's titles, but do something totally different to the book, like in Moonraker?

I hope they don't! but do you think they would?

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 11:54 AM

Good.

The day they use a Benson novel for a Bond film will be day I go and see something else instead.

Totally with you on that one. His books are nothing more than testament to his knowledge on the history of Bond with absolutely no ability to create a future. Knowing smiles and nodding winks to the Bond fraternity are about all he's good for.

But then the day I heard they were going to use a Bond fan, it was obvious that this was all we were going to get.

Why the vehemence - well it is my belief that an author needs two distinct things to be successful. A varied and well travelled past from which to draw upon for outlines and characters. And the ability to tell a story. And our man Benson has neither.

A computer games whiz togther with a holiday up a mountain do not an author make.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 06:57 AM

Good point Blofelds_cat (now we have two of them running around!!), all of them :)

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 August 2001 - 11:11 PM

It seems like everyone wants HTTK!

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 September 2001 - 02:10 AM

If it means keeping the Bond movies going?
ALL OF THEM!!

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 03:35 PM

Boldman (09 Sep, 2001 04:09 p.m.):
I agree with Jim and Simon.  I don't like Benson at all.

Moving this one still further, we're often reminded not to worry - everything is in the hands of the professionals. Baring this in mind, one has to wonder at the sanity of the chaps at Glidrose, those that actually gave permission for Benson to go ahead. Having a fan in charge of the destiny of his own hero is utterly ludicrous - God knows with what sense of power he goes to bed with at night.

I am reminded of another situation with the Saint character. I enjoy the literary exploits of this character as much as that of Mr Bond (albeit it in a sane and removed way) and the Charteris foundation gave permission to someone exactly like that of Benson. Burl Barer had written a Benson type overview book, which then stood for credentials to write fictional exploits. He did exactly the same - mentioned all the Saint cronies known the Saint fans and created an abysmal episode called Capture the Saint. His Saint character was more concerned with giving up smoking and travelling around at no more than 30mph than doing his job.

The main point about this is that Fleming also named friends - but these were unkown to anyone but him. Benson and Barer should a) stick to writing reviews and :) if further exploits are to be considered, stick to naming unknown high school buddies.

Chumps, the both of them.

#9 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 12:28 PM

My heart tells me it should be HTTK (though EON should change the title)...and my brain tells me it should be TFOD (though EON should delete the cruise missile and put something else in it's place).

#10 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 August 2001 - 07:18 PM

But they could do what they always do in movies and fix it up so it isn't slow, a bit of movie magic.

#11 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 26 August 2001 - 05:38 PM

I too would like to see HTTK, but I can't see that being a successful movie due to the slow middle of the story.

Maybe the best book that would be suited to a film format would be TFOD, only with a better end sequence?

#12 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 August 2001 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, HTTK is the one for me! It's a fresh innovative idea and would bring a new lease of life into the series. The plus about TWINE was its cast of characters. HTTK is another example. James Bond, Roland Marquis, Chandra Gurung, Helena Marksbury, Hope Kendall, Le Gerant, etc, etc, The only concern I have is that of the Union. How will they be portrayed. Will they only appear in one film? Or would EON film Doubleshot and NDOD as well? I also didn't think any of the Himalayas action scenes would work well, until I watched 'Vertical Limit', and then, like the chapter title in Benson's book, I realised that it's NOT QUITE IMPOSSIBLE.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 07:15 AM

Well Gardner brought SPECTRE back in some form is For Special Servcies. Perhaps the next Bond author will bring The Union back in some form. A shell of it's former self, Le Gerant will never again return.

#14 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 10:27 PM

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, Blue Eyes. I'd love it if they brought the Union into the movies, based on novels or not. They could be Pierce Brosnon's Bond's enemies, like how Connery always got to battle SPECTRE in all of his movies.
I just hope that Benson plans on bringing the Union back in the coming future, even if it's just for one book this time.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 12:14 PM

I'd say that ZMT is now out of date to be filmed, however, I'm sure some elements could be well used for the film.

How I'd bring The Union to the films.

Film HTTK as is.
Do another film, non-Union.

Do another original film with the Union. Not based on the stories by Benson and coming to to long after the events of Doubleshot. This film clifhangers into...

NDOD which happens not too long afterwards.

That way there are four chapters of the union in Bond's life. 1 is exclusively literary and one is the same for films.

What do you think of that?

#16 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 07:01 PM

I'd like to see HTTK made into a movie, it would take a break from the regular Bond formula that we have all seen for the past nineteen films and would introduce the Union to the cinema Bond. I don't think that NDOD would make a good movie sinse it is the end of the Union Trilogy, the Union would have to be destroyed just after it's introduced which is why so many of Gardner's criminal organizations failed. (BAST, COLD, etc.)

#17 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 September 2001 - 03:09 PM

I agree with Jim and Simon. I don't like Benson at all.

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 09:52 AM

That's him!! I think they'd need to make a huge fight scene with him. Still on the mountains. It could be a spectacular scene because it has a great backdrop.

His killing of the Gurkha would have to be really sinister. So we just absolutely hate this guy to death.

Finally, I feel Bond would have ot kill him. His pleading for him just to die alone etc.... just isnt' like Bond.

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 September 2001 - 05:08 AM

Blue Eyes (05 Sep, 2001 07:57 a.m.):
Good point Blofelds_cat (now we have two of them running around!!), all of them :)

Dare I say it?...

.....PUSSY GALORE!

#20 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 04:04 PM

But I just thought of one thing. Benson describes the movements of characters being 'slow' in the Himalayas, due to the thinning atmosphere.
In a book, this doesn't matter, because this does not diminish the mystique. However, in a movie, this could be disastrous. Can you imagine Marquis and Bond slugging it out in slow (or extremely slow) motion?

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 August 2001 - 07:04 PM

And now we have Benson's answer to this question (from the excellent CBN interview):

2. by Desmond Hardison
Which of your novels would you love to see as a film?

Any of them! :) But if I had to pick just one, "High Time to Kill" would make an interesting one.

#22 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 05:12 AM

Ooooooops!
Accidently posted twice. ???

#23 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 05:32 PM

High Time To Kill, definately!

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 04:06 AM

I'd say HTTK. Brilliant novel plus it would start off the Union in the Bond series. But I'd want the final fight scene with Bond and that other traitor guy who's name I can't think of... to be extended and huge!

#25 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 02:33 PM

Dave (05 Sep, 2001 01:08 p.m.):
Do you think they would just use Benson's titles, but do something totally different to the book, like in Moonraker?

I hope they don't! but do you think they would?

Probably not all the way, but definately most of it. One reason for it is probably to tailor the story according to the film's action requirements. Personally I think EON will never film them...however they may appear AFTER the FILM RIGHTS EXPIRE (though the novels may perhaps be antiques by then !).

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 06:06 PM

I asked Raymond directly if he knew why EON has never considered adapting his or John Garder's books and he just shruged and said, "Ask Michael Wilson." He seemed to be as in the dark about Eon's actions as all of us are.

#27 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 12:58 AM

I asked him a while back via the old e-mail, he told me the same thing. They have all the rights, they just choose to do nothing with them.

#28 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 12:27 PM

The name is Group Captain

#29 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 05:38 PM

Good.

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 06:08 PM

Good. The day they use a Benson novel for a Bond film will be day I go and see something else instead.

Judas!

(just kidding) :)