740 replies to this topic

#301 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Come on you've got to do better than that! Or at least tell me which ones do (one does?) count.

Well, I know for a fact he counts in GOLDENEYE.

He counts (incorrectly) his shared passions with Xenia.
He counts on Zukovsky’s love of money.
He counts the seconds on Trevelyan’s bomb while he counts on Natalya to locate Trevelyan.
He counts Boris’ pen clicks.

#302 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

Come on you've got to do better than that! Or at least tell me which ones do (one does?) count.

Well, I know for a fact he counts in GOLDENEYE:

He counts (incorrectly) his shared passions with Xenia.
He counts on Zukovsky’s love of money.
He counts the seconds on Trevelyan’s bomb while he counts on Natalya to locate Trevelyan.
He counts Boris’ pen clicks.

Let's not forget that he counts on his magic fairy dust to deliver him to safety in the PTS... B)

#303 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

Is it wrong that I say Pierce Brosnan doesn't count every time I talk to my friends (or non Bond fans) about Bond? B)

No, it isn't; he doesn't count.

OK, I'll bite; how so?

I say he doesn't count (as Bond) because
- I can't take him seriously
- I find his portrayal of Bond as weak:
- He's too soft, women walk all over him and compromise his missions and the lives of others
- His Bond seems to be incompetent which is a huge flaw considering this is after Dalton and he should therefore know what he's doing
- It's like he's needlessly reckless just rushes into things
- There doesn't seem to be anything unique about his portrayal of Bond- this Bond is a strange and poor amalgamation of past Bonds. A sloppy mix-and-mismatch patchwork Bond.

I've got respect for him but I personally don't think he counts as Bond. :tdown:

#304 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

With all due respect those seem more to be "I don't like him" reasonings rather than "he doesn't count" ones. I could be wrong but I got the impression you (and especially Mr. Blofeld) were stating (given that this is an unorthadox opinions thread after all) "Brosnan genuinely doesn't count" rather than "To me Brosnan doesn't count", no? I think some of the criteria you used there could also be used to argue Lazenby and Moore don't count. I'm not saying you have to like his Bond or bother to watch his films, I'm not too bothered about his era myself as it happens, but I think there's no doubt that he officially "counts" as someone who played James Bond.

But that is beside the point. This is an unorthadox opinions thread, I have mine and you are welcome to yours. I wanted reasons why Brosnan doesn't count as Bond, and you gave me some, for which I thank you. Now if only Mr. Blofeld could be so gracious...

#305 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Yeah i don't get that doesn't count part, everything counts warts and all even if you don't like it.

#306 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:31 PM

With all due respect those seem more to be "I don't like him" reasonings rather than "he doesn't count" ones. I could be wrong but I got the impression you (and especially Mr. Blofeld) were stating (given that this is an unorthadox opinions thread after all) "Brosnan genuinely doesn't count" rather than "To me Brosnan doesn't count", no? I think some of the criteria you used there could also be used to argue Lazenby and Moore don't count. I'm not saying you have to like his Bond or bother to watch his films, I'm not too bothered about his era myself as it happens, but I think there's no doubt that he officially "counts" as someone who played James Bond.

But that is beside the point. This is an unorthadox opinions thread, I have mine and you are welcome to yours. I wanted reasons why Brosnan doesn't count as Bond, and you gave me some, for which I thank you. Now if only Mr. Blofeld could be so gracious...

One could argue his films were more like commercial action blockbusters than Bond films, but it's something of a moot point. Like him or not, he was Bond. Fortunately not for very long...

#307 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

One could argue his films were more like commercial action blockbusters than Bond films, but it's something of a moot point. Like him or not, he was Bond. Fortunately not for very long...

My apologies, Safari Suit; I'll come up with some in the meantime.

#308 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

No need to apologise B)

#309 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Every time I watch FYEO, I fall asleep, this movie is better than two sleeping pills and a glass of warm milk B)

#310 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Every time I watch FYEO, I fall asleep, this movie is better than two sleeping pills and a glass of warm milk B)

Funny, that's the one I can't sit through without nodding off at least once.

#311 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

I watched it a few days ago (as evidenced from my post in the Moore forum), and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

#312 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:22 AM

Every time I watch FYEO, I fall asleep, this movie is better than two sleeping pills and a glass of warm milk :tdown:

I watched it a few days ago (as evidenced from my post in the Moore forum), and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

You know, if you fix the spring poking out of the seat cushion, you can sit all the way back on the dang thing like you're supposed to. B)

#313 Georgiboy

Georgiboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

I guess these are kind of unorthodox even though I highly doubt I am alone in these (as this whole thread shows):

1. Goldfinger is slow and extremely overrated IMO.

2. I have a soft spot for A View to a Kill. It is the first Bond film that I watched and it kills me to see it torn to shreds every other thread.

3. I find You Only Live Twice extremely entertaining (the score is fantastic).

4. Tomorrow Never Dies is my favorite Pierce Brosnan film.

5. I like Elliot Carver and Gustav Graves as villains. Both are just so charismatic yet evil at the same time.

6. OHMSS is probably my second favorite Bond film, but I hate Telly Savalas as Blofeld.

7. I hate the first half of Goldeneye (from the theme song on). It's extremely boring and the song is terrible. Everything from Bond and 006's reunion and on is great though. I do enjoy the score though unlike some.

8. Daniel Craig is too serious and should pull the stick out of his B) and smile for half a damn second. Good God, it's like watching a tree stump holding a gun. :tdown:

Well, that should do for today...

#314 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

5. I like Elliot Carver and Gustav Graves as villains. Both are just so charismatic yet evil at the same time.

I think there both over the top badly scripted characters myself

Edited by col_007, 10 August 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#315 Georgiboy

Georgiboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

Hence the point of this thread.

#316 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hence the point of this thread.

Quite. I simply do not understand why people are contradicting what others post in this thread. By its very nature, one is posting personal opinions that are likely not to be the majority view. In this case, contradiction seems utterly pointless.

#317 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

I haven't got any problem with Michel Legrand's score for Never Say Never Again. Legrand is a very gifted composer and NSNA wasn't one of his best jobs, but I think it's a nice jazzy score.

#318 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

I have to agree on that one! For Your Eyes Only is preety tense! I have to say I enjoy it every time I watch it! The underwater scenes though are quite boring and they're slowing the film down!

#319 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

And if Craig is such an good actor give him some space to do so, they failed him with the script of CR. There instead of the emotional discovery of betrayal we get a shootout in a sinking house. B)

I agree. While, when taken just as a standalone sequence, I like the sinking house scene, I do agree that it would have been better to take Bond's discovery of betrayal and his dealing with those emotions completely out of the context of an action scene and done something more faithful to the novel.

#320 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

Timothy Dalton has the best acting skills of all the bond actors.

#321 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

Not really unorthodox.

#322 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Not really unorthodox.

To some it may be. For those who would list Connery or Craig as a better actor.
Plus neither are half the things said in this thread.

#323 Marc-Ange Draco

Marc-Ange Draco

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I can't enjoy Goldfinger as a whole. The first 3rd or so is great--right up through the tire "blowout" in Switzerland. It then switches from a tightly-wound spy movie (think FRWL) to absurd, and frankly dull shtick. I found the book to be weak for the same reason, so it's not really the movie producers' fault, IMHO.

DAF: I think Wint and Kidd are hilarious. The movie is a letdown as a whole (common opinion), but those two make it very enjoyable nevertheless.

#324 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

I too love Mr Wint and Mr Kidd, easily the best things about Diamonds Are Forever.

I can easily sit down and ENJOY Diamonds Are Forever, A View to A Kill, The World Is Not Enough, Die Another Day and Quantum of Solace without being critical.

I think For Your Eyes Only is the boring and dull. Also, a horribly directed Bond film. The score is horrible. The locations, even though beautiful come across as DULL in the movie and I still to this day, have no idea how John Glen managed to mess that up! The only piece of music I like in the soundtrack, is the For Your Eyes Only renditions sprinkled throughout the score. The rest of it sounded like a strangled cat.

#325 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

Irma Bunt sucks! Blofeld needed another henchman!

#326 007.5

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

I watched "A View to a Kill" today. It's by no means my favourite Bond film (or probably anyone else's for that matter!) but the bit where Bond rescues Stacey from the fire in the City Hall must rank among Roger Moore's finest hours as 007. It's just the way he totally commands the situation, keeps calm and uses his wits and resourcefulness to save the day.

#327 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

I watched "A View to a Kill" today. It's by no means my favourite Bond film (or probably anyone else's for that matter!) but the bit where Bond rescues Stacey from the fire in the City Hall must rank among Roger Moore's finest hours as 007. It's just the way he totally commands the situation, keeps calm and uses his wits and resourcefulness to save the day.

With John Barry's excellent score in the background as he climbs the ladder with Stacey on his back, that is a good scene in Moore's weakest 007 film.

This may be a heterodox opinion but I actually like the Venice house shootout and sinking scene in CR. Even as far back as FRWL, the Bond films have added more action to Fleming's works(the helicopter and flotilla chases are nowhere to be found in Fleming's FRWL novel) so I have no problem with this similar "action finale" added to CR.

#328 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

I haven't got any problem with Michel Legrand's score for Never Say Never Again. Legrand is a very gifted composer and NSNA wasn't one of his best jobs, but I think it's a nice jazzy score.

Agree with that! People really seem to have a problem with it,and I don't see why,except that it's completely different from a typical Bond score. Still hate that theme song though!

#329 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

This may be a heterodox opinion but I actually like the Venice house shootout and sinking scene in CR. Even as far back as FRWL, the Bond films have added more action to Fleming's works(the helicopter and flotilla chases are nowhere to be found in Fleming's FRWL novel) so I have no problem with this similar "action finale" added to CR.

I agree 100%. I have no idea why so many people have a problem with this scene.

#330 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

This may be a heterodox opinion but I actually like the Venice house shootout and sinking scene in CR.

Who doesn't?