What, so no more megalomaniacs then?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Barman

Barman

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

With this new Bond taking on terrorists as their various finaciers and conspiritors, does this mean that the days of megalomaniac businessmen bent on world domination are over? I'm talking about the Goldfingers, the Drax's and Carver's. Have they had their time in the sun or could such a character exist in this new Bond world?

#2 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

I wouldn't bet on it. Terrorism can actually be a good tool to achieve world-wide domination... :)

#3 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

more likely as a tool to cause world wide havoc.

#4 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

I like this thread title. It brought laughter to my day.

Um, nobody's saying we can't have megalomaniacs...but if another one pops up, it'd be nice to have a deeper look into their motives...

It was kinda nice to have some Moonraker in DAD, but if Colonel Moon had as personal and deep a reason for creatng the weapon as, say, Hugo von der Drache, we might have enjoyed the film a little more.

#5 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Megalomaniacs a la Drax, Carver, and the rest are a thing of the past. Far too unrealistic. :)

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

I hope to see at least one or two in the future. I love the Elliot Carver and Hugo Drax characters. :)

#7 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

With this new Bond taking on terrorists as their various finaciers and conspiritors, does this mean that the days of megalomaniac businessmen bent on world domination are over? I'm talking about the Goldfingers, the Drax's and Carver's. Have they had their time in the sun or could such a character exist in this new Bond world?

We could always have a megalomaniac terrorist businessman. :)

#8 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Meglomaniacs have been a little overdone, I'm afraid (and you're never going to be able to compare to how awesomely they've been done in the past). It's about time to come up with some more creative foes.

#9 Blunt Instrument

Blunt Instrument

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

IMO, it'd be quite insteresting if you turned the tables and Had a Vilain who had very little confidence in himself, hence his need for "world domination, etc..."

"I'm Sorry, Mr. Bond, I do not have the same self-confidence you do... I'm afraid I'll have to see to it that you are eliminated...."