268 replies to this topic

#151 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

Bond and Tanya just mucking around to pass the time, both falling sleeping etc. It doesnt rush, and you really get involved in this sequence.

Me too. This sequence actually gets better and better the more I watch it. The tension really builds throughout, even when not much seems to be happening.

#152 tama_drummer91

tama_drummer91

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:49 AM

Yes, good strong plot.

The main aspect of FRWL that I like is the setting of the train. It is tight to move around in and full of possible spies. I also like the carefree and laidback feel it has while onboard the train, Bond and Tanya just mucking around to pass the time, both falling sleeping etc. It doesnt rush, and you really get involved in this sequence.

I agree. It gave Bond and Tanya a little more chemistry on screen that can lack at times in other Bond films for sure. I too liked that laid back feel. The whole film had a more realistic feel to it.

#153 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for bringing this groovy thread to surface. It's marvelous to think that FRWL came right after the somewhat cartoonish debut. Here the balance, IMO, was just right between pulp and artistry of the highest order. Now, if Dan beat the sophomore jinx with this much style and mindblowing brass, 11/7 will certainly rock.

#154 tama_drummer91

tama_drummer91

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for bringing this groovy thread to surface. It's marvelous to think that FRWL came right after the somewhat cartoonish debut. Here the balance, IMO, was just right between pulp and artistry of the highest order. Now, if Dan beat the sophomore jinx with this much style and mindblowing brass, 11/7 will certainly rock.

While I don't find Dr. No to be cartoonish exactly, I believe FRWL deserves so much credit. It's truly a classic.

Edited by tama_drummer91, 17 February 2008 - 02:02 AM.

#155 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

From Russia With Love is outstanding. So many elements work in it. There are just some scenes that are classic Bond. I particularly like when Bond is arriving in Istanbul and being watched by the Bulgars. And also how you see Grant "protecting" Bond, until he can get him right where he wants him. Robert Shaw was brilliant as Grant, and it shows in the scene before the fight how much Bond and Grant hate eachother. I agree, even if it wasn't Bond, it would be a great movie in its own right.

#156 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

I particularly like when Bond is arriving in Istanbul and being watched by the Bulgars.

I agree and enjoy learning how the Bulgars follow Kerim Bey and his sons around and vice versa; the arrangement they have. I also like how Kerim at first thinks that 007 is not needed in Istanbul and suggests he relaxes, enjoys his time there and then goes home, until he almost gets killed himself and realises something fishy is going on.

#157 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:03 AM

Agreed, Bond and Kerim think the threat is Krilencu, and it is a SMERSH affair. And its not until further into the film that the main enemies are revealed as Grant and Klebb and SPECTRE.

I think also the films ending is great. But I wonder whether the ending in the book would have worked as a real unexpected kick to the film(literally) It would have possibly been an even greater shock than the end of OHMSS to see Bond

Spoiler

Too much of a risk I guess.

Would have been interesting though. :tup:

Edited by BoogieBond, 11 March 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#158 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

I watched FRWL last night, and noticed a few things some might not have; for instance:

* Bond changes the attack on the embassy from the 13th to the 14th; this is referenced in OHMSS when 007 tosses the knife into the calendar and hits the wrong date (it is the 13th), to which he declares, "I'm superstitious."
* After Kerim Bey tells Bond that, after saving his life, the Gypsy chieftain has made 007 his son, Connery gets a very telling look on his face; possibly remembering the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Bond in a climbing accident, perhaps? :tup:

Overall, I liked it, though I felt Bond nearly beating Tatiana to death in the train carriage was a bit much.

#159 6Joker9

6Joker9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Classic film. I will simply echo everybody else in that it founded the right balance between realism and the traditionalism of Bond with the Bond-girl, the spy work, villains, et cetera. I

#160 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

[quote name='6Joker9' post='851431' date='18 March 2008 - 13:26'][quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='850951' date='16 March 2008 - 17:33']Overall, I liked it, though I felt Bond nearly beating Tatiana to death in the train carriage was a bit much.[/quote]
As far as I remember, wasn

#161 6Joker9

6Joker9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='851458' date='18 March 2008 - 15:05'][quote name='6Joker9' post='851431' date='18 March 2008 - 13:26'][quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='850951' date='16 March 2008 - 17:33']Overall, I liked it, though I felt Bond nearly beating Tatiana to death in the train carriage was a bit much.[/quote]
As far as I remember, wasn

Edited by 6Joker9, 18 March 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#162 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

Well, in the context of the situation, after the death of his ally, Ali Kerim Bey, Bond had all the righteousness in the world to use a degree of aggression toward Tatiana, who obviously had some knowledge of what was happening. He knew that her supposed defection was going to lead to a trap sooner or later, and he had played along with Tatiana up to that point - the situation then called for that type of reaction given the death of his ally and that the suspicion of a trap started to become more visible. Not to mention that Bond knew that he was probably going to die soon if he didn't figure the situation out. This in it for itself is not only the reason for his paranoia against Tatiana in that scene, but against Grant when he tried to pass himself as agent Nash - who ultimately was the person responsible and almost paid the price with his life for letting him pass.

Well, he seemed to distrust "Nash" less than he did Tatiana; perhaps Dalton or Craig could have played it better... :tup:

In this film, Walter Gotell is dubbed.

He's not dubbed; as witnessed in the documentary Inside From Russia with Love, Gotell speaks excellent English.

#163 6Joker9

6Joker9

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

Well, in the context of the situation, after the death of his ally, Ali Kerim Bey, Bond had all the righteousness in the world to use a degree of aggression toward Tatiana, who obviously had some knowledge of what was happening. He knew that her supposed defection was going to lead to a trap sooner or later, and he had played along with Tatiana up to that point - the situation then called for that type of reaction given the death of his ally and that the suspicion of a trap started to become more visible. Not to mention that Bond knew that he was probably going to die soon if he didn't figure the situation out. This in it for itself is not only the reason for his paranoia against Tatiana in that scene, but against Grant when he tried to pass himself as agent Nash - who ultimately was the person responsible and almost paid the price with his life for letting him pass.

Well, he seemed to distrust "Nash" less than he did Tatiana; perhaps Dalton or Craig could have played it better... :tup:

It seems we will have to end in

#164 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

I love the gypsy camp fight sequence in FRWL. Connery's distinctive crouch and point shooting stance is way too cool.

#165 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Agreed Sharpshooter. Love that bit of style and panther like grace.
Who needs an army when SeanBond is around to help. Karate chopping necks and chucking over tables.
Saw this on the big screen recently and this is still hugely enjoyable. :tup:

#166 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Love this movie. It is my favourite of the Connery's. I think the fight sequence between Bond and Grant is probably one of the best scenes in any Bond movie.

#167 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

I tend to find the moment rather fitting for the characterization, to be honest, if not a personal highlight from Connery's Bond. Appropriate for the coldness of the character and his distrust, to say the least.

I don't think I would describe Bond as "cold" in that scene. More like an emotional mixture of anger, distrust and possibly fear barely under control. Good moment for Connery, I think.

#168 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

Agreed with the sentiments in this thread. For me FRWL grows as a favourite every year (and I'd like to think this is the case for everyone)due to the fact that it is the last Bond film (only the 2nd one as well) that feels like a Hitchcockian Thriller rather than the all action spectacles they've been from GOLDFINGER onwards by and large.

Robert Shaw's performance, the writing, Connery at his best, the cinematography, the rest of the unsung (outside fandom)supporting cast, the tense direction etc. For me it slides alongside OHMSS and CR as my favourite Bond film and I personally find more rewatchable than any other Connery Bond film (the CR effect perhaps :().

A case can also be made that it is the most 'adult' Bond film (blood and swearing doesn't make a film adult Mr LTK :tup:). For once the sexual innuendo and suggestiveness (the glimpse of Tania naked behind the curtains,Klebb's lesbianism, the implied threesome Bond has with the two fighting girls in the gypsy camp, 'Ali Kerim Bayyyyyy':tup:) is sexy rather than childish. All in all perhaps the most perfect Bond film (imo)!

Edited by baerrtt, 17 June 2008 - 03:44 PM.

#169 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

I love the train scenes. They remind me something from "Murder on the Orient Express"! That is what makes it special, in my opinion!

#170 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

Might be repeating myself, but one of my favorite scenes is the half-second after Kerim asks Bond if the Lektor is "all" he's after (referring, of course, to Tatiana). Bond says, "Welll..." and the scene dissolves. But during that dissolve, you can see him smile and begin to laugh. It always struck me as very human.

#171 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hey Ernie! Nice to see you back! :tup:

Yes I completely agree with the two above posts. I especially love the fight between Bond and Grant, I think its Connery's best moment... it just shows how brutal Bond can be.

#172 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Thanks! Been lurking a bit, but the new job's keeping me busy. Currently in Hangzhou, China, sneaking around factories...er, make that walking around factories, doing quality control checks. But don't worry, I'm still around in cyberspace, and as psyched as all of you to see QOS!

#173 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

I love the train scenes. They remind me something from "Murder on the Orient Express"! That is what makes it special, in my opinion!

:tup: I agree. Love the train scenes. Sliding doors, adjoining rooms, secret knocks, murder, suspicions over dinner, escape route plans and one of the great cinematic fights. What's not to love?

#174 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

Another fan of From Russia with Love here. It's simply Connery's best Bondfilm. Just like a lot of the members here I love the train scenes and the fight between Bond and Grant. Tatiana Romanova is also one of my favorite Bond girls. Love this classic film, love the characters, love the locations and the plot. So it's one of the best Bondfilms ever. :tup:

#175 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

I simply adore the scene where Bond is ducking the low flying helicopter on the hills.

On IMDB it says "During the helicopter sequence towards the end of the film, the inexperienced pilot flew too close to Sean Connery, almost killing him." Imagine if Connery was killed way back in 1963, incredible.

#176 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

I love the gypsy camp fight sequence in FRWL. Connery's distinctive crouch and point shooting stance is way too cool.

Totally agreed. EA at least replicated this stance correctly when they made FRWL the game.

LIke CR, the third act of FRWL is the weakest of the three IMO (from the moment they leave the train), but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it. The chemistry between Bond and Kerim is highly memorable, and has no doubt inspired one or two similar Bond allies since 1963 (Topol springs to mind).

In short, a unmovable top 5 Bond.

#177 James Bain

James Bain

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

I love From Russia with Love.

The music
Q's briefcase
SPECTRE Island
The Gypsy fight
The Setting
The time period
The Girl

EVERYTHING!

#178 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

I can only wonder if Bond's rough handlng of Tanya would have gotten the same reaction from some here if Tanya character had been transformed into a male deceitful ally.

#179 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

I can only wonder if Bond's rough handlng of Tanya would have gotten the same reaction from some here if Tanya character had been transformed into a male deceitful ally.

Of course not. Then again I doubt that the deceitful male ally would have been offered as a supposed love interest to Bond....

#180 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

Of course not. Then again I doubt that the deceitful male ally would have been offered as a supposed love interest to Bond....

It seems doubtful. But the pint remains.