6 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 04:44 PM

How do we feel about the UK vs. U.S. editions of the Benson books? Cover art wise, I'd say the Brits have it all over the Americans, although I don't mind the U.S. art as much as some (and the UK NDOD is a real step down). But being one of these nutty collectors who buys every edition, I'll tell you, the typesetting and overall layout of the U.S. editions are FAR superior to the UK books. Has anyone else notice how words and sometimes whole sentences run together in the UK books? I didn't catch it in NDOD, but FACTS OF DEATH and HIGH TIME TO KILL are a mess. And just look at the title page of the U.S. NDOD. Better type. Cool eye graphic. Just a better looking book. And the silver "007" stamped into the front board is pretty slick.

Of course, the problem is that the U.S. editions are release a month after the UK. No way am I going to wait!

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 10:52 PM

Something I notice as well Zencat :) And while I'm no source of major information, I can't even claim to have seen all the books, the US editions that I have seen while doing research all seem fairly similair. Which, as you point out, would look great on a shelf. Atleast the paperbacks are all about the same size :)

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 09:36 AM

It's a real bummer that the art changed for the UK NDOD as they had a really good style.

#4 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 12:17 PM

I was gutted with the cover for the UK edition of NDOD. After Doubleshot's brilliant cover, I expected something better. What a disappointment. I know Benson has stated that he has no say in the covers, but if I'd have written the book (which by the way is one of the best he has written), I wouldn't have issued the book like that. I would have had a close up shot of an eye with the union tattoo showing on it.

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 04:30 PM

Why change it? There is no reason why they needed to change it.

Hopefully, they've noticed their mistake, and in the Japan Book we'll see the old design back - again, I say hopefully.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 03:47 PM

The other thing I really like about the U.S. editions is they keep them uniform in design. This was also true of the Gardner books. Makes for a great looking set of books on the shelf. The UK editions tend to change styles (and sometimes size) several times during the authors run.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 04:26 AM

Hey Zencat, a long time since you posted this but never mind.

I ran across the US edition of NDOD of dying today. And while in general I don't like the cover design the eye on the title page is ace! Very well place and very effective. If only I could afford the book to add to my collection, but c'est la vie.