This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

In yor point of view, what makes ohmss a good/bad movie?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Max Zorin007

Max Zorin007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 08:26 PM

Well for me it's a good movie, my favorite actully.
I really like how every bit of 007 comes out in it,
like how he actually falls in love with someone.
Also how 007 is determined to get blofeld even thoughhis department wont allow it. the score is the best of the series and it goes along with the screenplay really well. I realy lie the snow and winter time so i guess that adds to my likings and from the look of the die another day trailer it'll be another cold one.
ohmss- one of a kind.

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 08:48 PM

OHMSS isn't the best film in the series, but it's one of my personal favorites. Why:

1. It's the most faithful adaptation of a Fleming novel filmed.
2. The romance between Bond and Tracy is believable and adds a human dimension to 007 that was missing in the previous two films. Her death at the end is a truly devastating moment.
3. The stuntwork is more than a decade ahead of its time--it's fast-paced, exciting, and tough; and it wouldn't be matched until Raiders of the Lost Ark 12 years later.
4. The scenes with M, Moneypenny, and Q are among the best in the series.
5. John Barry's best Bond score.
6. Great photography and great editing.
7. Finally--grand ambition. OHMSS would be the last film for a long while that took itself seriously and tried to do something new and original with Bond. Its ambitions make up for some big weaknesses--a flawed performance by Lazenby, a miscast Telly Savalas, the "We Have All the Time in the World" montage, etc.

All in all, I love OHMSS!

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:32 PM

OHMSS is both a good and bad movie for me.

It's bad because:
-- George Lazenby didn't have the maturity, physically or emotionally to play a Bond that was ready to chuck it all and fall in love and have a family.

-- Telly Savalas is another person who just didn't look like the character he was supposed to play. As another villian, he would have been great. But as Blofeld...it just didn't work.

-- James Bond in a kilt. Nuff said?

-- The Allergy Girls: Not one of them held my interest for longer than two seconds.

It's good because:

-- Diana Rigg. Again, nuff said?

-- The "We Have All the Time in the World" montage. I know most folks didn't like it, but I thought it was a very neat (in the neat versus sloppy sense) of showing us the progression of Tracy and Bond's relationship, without taking up too much time.

-- Tracy driving the car during the car chase: That more than anything told us how much Bond loved and trusted her.

-- The Barnyard scene: Never been matched.

What's good about OHMSS makes the movie viewable, whereas all the bad bits keep it from being in my top five of my favorites list.

-- Xenobia

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 12:29 AM

Good. Why?

Peter Hunt. Stuck to his wishes. Accentuated the speed and pace of the film. Gilbert and Hamilton would have thoroughly trashed this film.

George Lazenby. Thoroughly energetic. Physically the most capable and credible of the Bonds. Connery would, by this time, have been a bloody great pudding in this film.

#5 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:03 AM

I think I've made my case...

What, I haven't written anything? Oh, yes, er: what was said above, but do you guys really think Savales was miscast? I think he's the greatest Blofeld. American accent, but he plays the right sort of guy. I mean if I came face to face with a Blofeld that looked like Pleasance or Gray, I'd laugh, but Savales was frightening (well, I didn't wet myself or anything, but you get the idea).

And Lazenby's youth (not his acting youth) helped convince me that this was a man who still wanted the action from his previous life, and was prepared to just go and get married to the daughter of a crime boss (oh, and I hate what Benson did to him).

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:59 AM

Well, I do think Savalas was the best Blofeld, but only because he wins by default. . .Pleasance was too cartoonish and whiny to be menacing (he comes across as a mad scientist from a movie serial made in 1937), and of course Grey came across like Bond's naughty gay uncle--chirrupy, fun-loving, and with a penchant for drag. Still, Savalas came across more like a gangster than a suave mastermind, and that's why I consider him miscast.

#7 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 07:44 AM

There are some people ("some", not all, and I'm not referring to anyone here in particular so don't get excited) who, in my incredibly humble opinion (which I realise doesn't mean anything in the real world) appear to have perhaps (and I say perhaps) jumped on the OHMSS and Lazenby bandwagon because it makes them appear deep and thought-provokative.

It's a good movie, but when compared to the overs I rate it mid range, 10th out of 19.

The film does have some great things in its favor, Diana Rigg is tremendous in her role and most of the other cast aren't too shabby either. Though I don't think any of the three Blofelds were especially brilliant in the role of the cat stroking one, and if Savalas is the least "cartoonish" of the troop, then he is also the least interesting. Someone said Savalas may have been better as a differnt villian, I'm willing to argee on that one. Blofelds scheme was okay, if not spectacluar (though those involved didn't cre how dull it was, just as long as there were no gadgets, yippie), but I struggle to care over weather or not he is apprehended. If the mans willing to cut off part of his ear for a title, I say let him have it and lets get on with life.

I'm pretty much over snow now, theres been snow in 8 of the last 10 films (don't quote me on that) and there is alot going to be snow in the film Xenobia refers to as NAT. But I like how this one takes place mostly in the one spot (switzerland or wherever it is) which I always prefer over ones tha aimlessly hop from place to place. Bonds escape from the clinic is pretty awesome, probably one of the best action sequences in the series, so I'll give OHMSS points there. Why do they chase after Bond anyway, don't they want Bond to report to his superiors so that their threats are taken seriously ? (don't quote me on that either).

As for Lazenby, I still maintain that a fair portion (I didn't say all, so you can assume this excludes you, even though it probably doesn't) of fans praise him so they can have the "alternative" point of view and are therefore smarter than the rest of us. I'm not saying he's bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go and see multiple films starring him (unlike Connery, Moore, etc). Theres a few things I don't like about them, and yeah, I don't mind saying that one of them is that he isn't Connery. In quite a few instances in the film, such as getting it on with Tracey in the barn, and the scenes at the wedding, I so wished that Connery had done this film, it just would have been awesome.

Overall, I stick it 10th and 19, which when you consider the high standard of the series, makes it a good film. But saying that, the DVD doesn't spend alot of time in my player, and I'd probably rather watch my 11th, 12th and 13th favorites than OHMSS. When it comes to good or bad debates for OHMSS, I don't really have the heart to make a passionate claim either way. :)

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 01:51 AM

Snow, snow, snow....yes there has been plenty of snow...but I think OHMSS was the first to make excellent use out of it. :)

As for Mr. Savalas...as any other villian, he would have been frightening. But given the voiceovers we had been given in the previous films....TS' voice was too young, not aristocratic enough for Blofeld.

And Freemo as per the request of someone in administration I must now refer to DAD as DAD...although I still contend it needs another title.

-- Xenobia

#9 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 03:24 PM

For me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service is far and away the best of all the James Bond films and an example of what each and every Bond film has or had the potential to be.

As others have mentioned, this is due in large part to the names that made the film happen: Peter Hunt, George Lazenby, Telly Savalas, John Barry, John Glen, and others.

Peter Hunt made a Bond film that is cinematically original and stunning, thematically in keeping with Fleming's breathtaking drama, and relatively realistic.

The fight scene on the beach at the outset, thanks to the nontraditional editing, is one of my favorite fight scenes of all time. John Barry's instrumental opening theme song, stirring and strong, is my favorite of all the Bond themes. Lazneby's stint as the one time Bond sets him apart from all the others, isolates him, and he comes across as ernest and true. The plot is superb. There are bizarre, sometimes surreal, and truly artistic choices made throughout while depicting the cinematic action, such as the fight scene which takes place in a room full of bells. Savalas is stunning, a depiction of a real world Ernst Stavro Blofeld full of anger and drive. Oh, and the ending. Let's not forget that nothing in the Bond series will ever -- EVER -- be able to compare with the climax of this film.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best of the best. It's a pity Peter Hunt did not remain in the director's chair longer. It does, however, set this film apart from the rest.

#10 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Hardyboy
Well, I do think Savalas was the best Blofeld, but only because he wins by default. . .Pleasance was too cartoonish and whiny to be menacing (he comes across as a mad scientist from a movie serial made in 1937), and of course Grey came across like Bond's naughty gay uncle--chirrupy, fun-loving, and with a penchant for drag.  Still, Savalas came across more like a gangster than a suave mastermind, and that's why I consider him miscast.

Some very good pints there Hardyboy, I agree with you.
As for me, I like OHMSS because it has a great script, storyline,brilliant baddies, great locations and terrific actions sequences. The only down point is George Lazenby, although I can't think of any other Bond actor doing the 'falling in love' sequences

#11 Max Zorin007

Max Zorin007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 09:02 PM

yea thats true, i cant imagine any other bond marrying someone. brosnan maybe but thats stretching it

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 07 October 2002 - 06:56 PM

I wouldn't feel as happy when watching my On Her Majesty's Secret Service video as I would be when watching most of my other Bond videos.

I think it's knowing what went on when the camera's were off, like the fighting between Rigg and Lazenby and Lazenby's obnoxious attitude. Although I suppose I can't really be sure if all that's true.

I'll get it right soon enough (edited thrice) :)

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:02 PM

The positive things about it are the music (especially "We have all the time in the world" and Diana Rigg.

#14 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:04 PM

well, I throughly enjoyed it. I read the book before I saw the film, and for one of the few times I enjoyed the the film more. It has everything that is so great about 007. And allong wtih agreeing of most above points (except I thought Telly as Blofeld was excellent) ti also has that blue cool feel. I know that makes no sense but there is alot of bluish stuff in it which reminds me of Fleming. It along with FRWL, OHMSS, LTK, and TWINE (others too) are some Bonds that Fleming would be proud of IMO.

#15 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:51 PM

I can't comment too much because I have only seen it once I think. It is a shame to break up a long running series with a one hit wonder though (not that George was a wonder).

Otherwise a very credible movie.

#16 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
Snow, snow, snow....yes there has been plenty of snow...but I think OHMSS was the first to make excellent use out of it.  :)

Definately the snow plays a major factor. But, the numero uno reason is because of Diana Rigg, one of the most talented and gorgeous actresses of all time. If Sean Connery and a better Blofeld were in that movie, it would be the best of all time, hands down.

~LTK~

#17 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:36 PM

The best thing about OHMSS is Diana Rigg. :)

#18 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:49 PM

I havent read all of these but its not one of my favs. The dubbing is dreadful and they dropped 'funny' lines into the film afterwards for Bond in sooo many scenes that almost every time Bonds face was turned away one was put in afterwards. Glens editing is phoney in the action scenes. Not enough action and too sluggish. I know im in a minority here but Diana Rigg I could have done without. But when they arrived in Switzerland in one of my all time favourite places, Bernese Oberland region, I am a happy bunny! N.B. A tourist 'tour' in that part of Switzerland has a commentary and mentions the Bond film, adding that 'it has not been regarded as one of the best Bond films!!! True.

#19 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:25 AM

One of the best Bond films. I've been a Bond fan for about six years, but I only saw this a couple of months ago for the first time. Lazenby is very underrated, Savalas is the best Blofeld, and Dianna Rigg is the best Bond girl of the whole series. I'm glad I finally saw this movie, because it truly is great.

#20 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:32 AM

the thing for me is lazenby being in the movie, had connery been in it i would love it, but as it is i really dont like it, therefore it sits at the bottom of my bond list

#21 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:00 AM

i think........................
/./////////=======>Nobody Does it better

#22 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:14 AM

Originally posted by freemo
There are some people ("some", not all, and I'm not referring to anyone here in particular so don't get excited) who, in my incredibly humble opinion (which I realise doesn't mean anything in the real world) appear to have perhaps (and I say perhaps) jumped on the OHMSS and Lazenby bandwagon because it makes them appear deep and thought-provokative.

It's a good movie, but when compared to the overs I rate it mid range, 10th out of 19.  

Overall, I stick it 10th and 19, which when you consider the high standard of the series, makes it a good film. But saying that, the DVD doesn't spend alot of time in my player, and I'd probably rather watch my 11th, 12th and 13th favorites than OHMSS. When it comes to good or bad debates for OHMSS, I don't really have the heart to make a passionate claim either way. :)

I can see where you're coming from. However, from my POV, I like OHMSS because as I got older and the more I watched it(thank heavens for TBS & ABC) the better it got.

Quick history: My Mom wouldn't let me watch it when it came on ABC due to the "Parental Advisory" tag.

When I was in college(around the release of TLD & LTK) I watched OHMSS and enjoyed it on a basic level. TLD was the film where I essentially "got it." I could appreciate the character, his nuances and neurosis. OHMSS was like that comic book you knew you'd purchased but forgot where you put it. Once it's uncovered you savage through it and savor every panel.

At first, I thought the action and story were cool and the ending to me was an honest one. During the era of "Platoon" & "To Live & Die in LA," "bad" endings didn't faze me. In fact, I welcomed them.

As time progressed, I enjoyed the music, the plot and most importantly, I understood this film's context amongst the Connery films. I thought the romance between Bond & Tracy was genuine. Rigg's performance was excellent. We actually see Tracy evolve from Bond Girl, to Bond Woman to Bond Wife and thru no stretch of the imagination. Savalas to me will always be Kojak but I wasn't put off by his performance. Nor was I put off by Lazenby's acting. To be fair, bad acting to me is Evel Kneviel's performance in "Viva Kneviel" and the various films starring Master P. I thought George was physical enough for the role. Though I found myself snickering at his swinging at the seats style of punching.

While in my 20's I watched the film religiously when it aired on TV- especially the first 20 minutes. I thought the pre-credits sequence was top notch and fares better than most explosion-fests we're saddled with today.

Now in my 30's and knee deep in the film industry, I really appreciated the film on a technical level(cinematography & editing) and for it's story. You can scoff at the notion of Blofeld's Angel's of Death but biological warfare doesn't seem so sci-fi or absurd as it did then. Bond's proposal to Tracy is heartfelt, romantic and touching. This is a man, stripped bare by love. He comes to a realization regarding his relationship with Tracy and acts on it by simply asking "Will you marry me?"

Whoever posted that there wasn't enough action in the film is mistaken. We've been taken by the ammount of action in the last 3 Bond flicks. By that account, DN's may as well be an suitable for C-SPAN.

All in all, I feel that OHMSS is an underrated gem in this series. Hunt's direction is sharp, Glen's editing top notch, the ski scenes are only surpassed by FYEO's and Barry's score is a musical milestone for the series.

Rating 8/10. This is really good filmmaking, in and outside this series.

BTW, the exchange between Bond and Moneypenny during the wedding reception is priceless. Acting without words , indeed.

#23 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:59 AM

I love OHMSS, always have, always will.
When i was younger (like 8 or 9) i used to love it for the scenes at Piz Gloria, and would fast forward the tape (still cant believe we had to do things like that back then :)) just to get to there.
But now that im older i can appreciate it for the brilliant film that it is.
It has a great storyline that is both realistic and over the top enough to be bond (10 girls ready for Bond to sleep with is what i like to refer to as sophisticated naughtiness :)). Piz Gloria is the best location the series has ever had (one i that i hope i can visit one day), the last hour of pretty much non stop action produced some of the finest action scenes the series has.
But as well has having the outrageousness of what I love about Bond, it balances it with a realistic storyline, with real characters and a touching love story for a character that hadnt experienced anything like that yet.
I could praise this film all day, but the film speaks for itself. They'll never make a Bond film better.

#24 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:19 PM

i remember when i first got ohmss. just bought it to add to my collection. watched it didnt like it. after becoming more of a bond fan however it has easily become my favorite bond movie ever. too bad my friend got it stuck in his vcr, guess i will have to buy the dvd version then since there is no sense in buying a vhs anymore

#25 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:38 PM

OHMSS is a masterpiece, the artistic pinnacle of the James Bond series.

To the people who say Savalas isn't right for Blofeld - I'd ask you to re-read the books, because Fleming describes a hybrid Greek heritage for the character - something Savalas had and which the other Blofeld actors did not have - nor did they have his physicality.

To the people who say "It would have been the best had Connery done it" - I have to ask: would he have been better in the action scenes? No. Would he have been better in the love scenes? No. Whould he have been better at the straight dialog scenes? Yes. But that isn't enough to make me want to see the fat, bored Connery of YOLT or Diamonds in this movie.

It is the best written script of the entire series. Maibaum said so. Pierce Brosnan recently commented on how well written the film is.

It has the best music.

It has the best direction and cinematography. As the authors of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang point out - it has a visual gloss unequaled by other entries. As James Chapman points out - each scene is composed well - like a painting.

Diana Rigg is the only woman in the world that could bring James Bond to the altar. 30 years later TV Guide is still saying she is the sexiest woman ever on the screen.

The action is mind blowing, and as Hardy Boy pointed out - at least a decade ahead of its time.

The scenery and locations are magnificent.

Lazenby's performance is stunning considering he had never uttered a word of dialog in front a camera before. Yes, the dubbing doesn't help him any, but that goes away soon enough.

I could talk FOREVER about this film but I'll stop here.

#26 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:07 PM

I think I like George Lazenby. The truth is, I like him, because he's in this movie. I'd like him more if he'd done more than one film, but it's such a good adaptation that I'd accept almost anybody halfway respectable as Bond. (I think I just described George.)
I love this movie, and I like George, but I really don't think he was that good. (Shhhhh....)

#27 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:29 AM

I like Majesty's a lot. It doesn't feel so much a part of a larger series as it feels like a film that stands on its own. Lazenby works for the most part as Bond, but there are times when (as someone stated earlier) lacks the maturity and commanding pressence that established actors know how to convey. There is no sense of the seasoned, battle-weary character from the novel. Still, Lazenby does a hell of a job for a newcomer.

As for Blofeld, the fact that the producers could never establish a single actor to play such an important role really compromised the potential the series could have had for these films building upon each other. Same goes for the Felix Leiter character. I mean, to go from middle-aged, to older, to significantly younger, to short and fat, etc. What the hell?

Telly Savalas seems to me cast as a follow-up to Donald Pleasance. His deep voice, particularly in the hypnotic-therapy, does more-or-less seem credible as the same character in "From Russia With Love" and "Thunderball".

The action and locales are all great, but in reality, it is hard for me to watch and not wish Connery was in this film.

#28 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:27 AM

I can understand the "bandwagon jumping" I used to like OHMSS just to be "cool" But truthfully I love OHMSS now cause I think it's a great film, and a great Bond film to boot. Kinda liked to have seen Lazenby continue on, but oh well.

#29 Sick Sense

Sick Sense

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:32 AM

ah cheers to you max zorin007, u are the greatest man living, you are a god.

#30 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:45 PM

"Telly Savalas is another person who just didn't look like the character he was supposed to play. As another villian, he would have been great. But as Blofeld...it just didn't work."

Telly is my favorite Bloefeld. Don't mess with Telly! He had the best lines in that movie. "A brilliant conversationalist before he left us"