43 replies to this topic

#31 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

I just finished "Past Bearing" yesterday, and I think it's even better than "Off balance" : it's a fast paced, rich and captivating thriller. I'm looking forward to reading the next one :-)
There are some points in the plot I'd like to discuss anyway :
- why M, Tanner and Co. reveal almost everything to 006 when Tanner finds him ferreting in his files ? I mean, they could have "monitored" him more closely, instead of introducing him (even partially) to their inner group ? Why was it necessary to give him an access to the monitoring system, and to remove his chip ?
- I strongly disagree with Joyce ordering a milkshake in the Cooks. Milkshakes in tropical countries are to be considered a major security threat to field operatives ;-)
Cheers !

#32 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

:angry:

Thanks for your feedback, and for reading the book of course - very much appreciated.

M, Tanner and the rest knew that sending 006 away when he clearly knew something was going on was possibly even more dangerous. He didn't know what he had stumbled upon exactly and therefore didn't know how devastating gossiping about it could be. M had rather inform him (with as little details as possible) and bring him into their little group so that she could at least control him better. [Even though that meant removing his chip and giving him access to the system, but knowing 006, she thought he would not cooperate if he knew he was on her leash]. He was a risk, but at least he wasn't a loose cannon.

Unfortunately, yeah, it turned out to be a bad call. By allowing 006 in they basically started the whole chain of events that led to Joyce losing, well, everything.

As for the milkshakes, well, Joyce is stupid. This was during her 'hey, I guess I won't sleep for a few days and start hallucinating' phase, anyway, and besides, I blame
Spoiler

:cooltongue:

:lol:

#33 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

I am having problems getting this novel to open properly on my Treo (which is really the only way I am able to read it - a page or two between meetings). Looking through some forums on the topic of Adobe for Palm OS, I think I've found the problem, but the cure will require a favor from Major Carrington.

I'll PM her, and hopefully will be enjoying Part II in no time at all!

#34 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:27 AM

Just a useless and pointless message: I'm watching some Dexter season 2 episodes (yeah, I know, it's a freakin' way to celebrate the New Year... :D ), and I was thinking to myself "Damn... This character of Dexter's sister reminds me of someone else..."
And I just got it: she reminds me of Joyce Carrington! (in some respects, at least)
Any opinion of the Author about that? :P

PS: some more about the character here - http://dexterwiki.sh...ge/Debra Morgan

#35 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

Well, that's very interesting. Unfortunately, Dexter hasn't hit Dutch television yet, but I have heard of it and am waiting for it to make its way over here. I can't really say whether you've got a point at this juncture, but I can see a few little similarities in the character profile you provided.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll keep my eyes out for it! :D

#36 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

I've downloaded "Off Balance" and "Past bearing" about a week ago. Just finished "Past Bearing" last night. The last few chapters were so good I was up to 4am reading it. Best fanfiction ever! It's inspired me to start writing Bond fanfic again after a 4 year haitus.

When can we expect "Method to Madness"?

PS: 006 sounds a lot like an ex-best friend of mine

#37 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Your PS made me laugh out loud. :tup: (not in the sense that you lost your best friend, but in the sense that I can't imagine there are blokes that annoying out there).

Thank you very much for giving Joyce's world a try. I'm glad you enjoyed.

I'm working hard on Method to Madness and I'm very committed, but sadly life has gotten a bit in the way on that. I will finish it, but definitely not this year. I really can't give you an estimate yet.

But thank you for your comments, they're much appreciated. :tup:

#38 jb bbflat

jb bbflat

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hi,
Part II took me a little bit longer to read.
I read Past Bearing over the summer and am excited about the part III Method to Madness. I viewed a forum subject of a teaser for it. I will check it out.

Joyce's suggestion on Mightier Than the Sword was spot on fun. Thanks. I enjoyed that adventure of 007, also.

Keep up the excellent work,

#39 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Many thanks for your feedback! :) Have a gander at all the other stuff in the Fan Fiction section, there's some wonderfully dark stuff there (*cough*Jim&Clink*cough*). :(

#40 operator5

operator5

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hi, I was just thinking about this and,realizing I hadn't downloaded it before, went looking for it. However, when I try to download the pdf, I get a message saying that that page can't be found.

Has it been removed for some reason? Or am I just running into a weird glitch?

#41 operator5

operator5

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Apparently, I've been away from the forum longer than I thought. I was just looking at another fan fiction thread and saw that the pdf's have been down since last year!
That being the case, does anybody still have the pdf for PAST BEARING that they could shoot me a copy of?
Thanks!

#42 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hi operator5, thanks for showing interest in the novel.

The pdf is down, sadly, but you can find Past Bearing here: http://www.fanfictio...rilogy_Part_Two

Enjoy. :tdown:

Just a useless and pointless message: I'm watching some Dexter season 2 episodes (yeah, I know, it's a freakin' way to celebrate the New Year... B) ), and I was thinking to myself "Damn... This character of Dexter's sister reminds me of someone else..."
And I just got it: she reminds me of Joyce Carrington! (in some respects, at least)
Any opinion of the Author about that? :)

PS: some more about the character here - http://dexterwiki.sh...ge/Debra Morgan

Holy crap, just stumbling onto this - I had totally forgotten about this post.

Meanwhile, I've seen three seasons of Dexter so far, and the one thing I couldn't get over was how much I loved the character of Debra. The woman is very dear to me, y'know, in a sort of "mess with her and you mess with me" kind of way.

I guess now I know why. :tdown:

#43 operator5

operator5

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the link! No spiffy cover to go with it, alas, but that's what I get for dawdling. Besides, it's the words that count!

#44 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

I guess I'm lucky with the fanfic section having gone AWOL for having several of the novels downloaded.