5 replies to this topic

#1 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

I've only read the first few chapters of Colonel Sun so far (and this is my first reading of the novel!) but I'm itching to discuss, so here goes..

I'd read a bit of the discussion on the CBn forums about Colonel Sun already, and I went in a little apprehensive (since this is my first non-Fleming Bond novel). So far I think the critics have been pretty much correct..

OK, SPOILER ALERT, but only if you haven't read to chapter 3.. I just don't want to ruin it for anybody :tup:

The first chapter felt very Fleming-esque to me.. Bond's inner critical dialogue (he wonders about going soft and getting old in this novel much in the way that he questions himself in the Fleming works), the way the characters are presented and even the atmosphere seems pretty similar to something Fleming would have written or at least agreed with... Bill Tanner was a welcome surprise in the first chapter, and I thought it was appropriate that Bond would refer to him as his closest friend at MI6.

After the kind of friendly, quiet atmosphere in the first chapter, the incident at M's house was quite a shock. As I'd heard from this forum, Colonel Sun is supposed to be more violent and a little harsher in tone than most of the Fleming novels, and the first scenes have definitely proved to be at least more shocking than the other novels. There's almost an air of modern crime drama in the scenes where Bond and Tanner are dealing with the bodies of the Hammonds.. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, I'm still kind of thinking about it..

Anyway, I thought it was a little forward of Amis to kill off two of Fleming's characters in the first few pages (the Hammonds obviously weren't major characters at all but I'm still kind of shocked).

Did anybody else feel really uncomfortable that somebody was invading M's very orderly and organized home? Amis I think did a splendid job creating an atmosphere that something wasn't quite right from the moment Bond went in the front door (before that actually... Bond says something about seeing a flash of light in M's bedroom window and Amis gives the reader (and Bond) a very clear feeling that something's wrong). I thought the whole scene of Bond's capture, M being drugged, and Bond's eventual escape was very exciting and wonderfully written, and I like that Amis alternates chapters to show where Bond is but also to let the reader know about M's state and the slow introduction to Colonel Sun.

Anyway, this is too long (sorry!). I'm very much enjoying the book, I love Amis' writing style, I'm more worried about M than a girl really should be about a fictional character, and I'm very happy to be a part of this fantastic library club!

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

After the kind of friendly, quiet atmosphere in the first chapter, the incident at M's house was quite a shock. As I'd heard from this forum, Colonel Sun is supposed to be more violent and a little harsher in tone than most of the Fleming novels, and the first scenes have definitely proved to be at least more shocking than the other novels. There's almost an air of modern crime drama in the scenes where Bond and Tanner are dealing with the bodies of the Hammonds.. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, I'm still kind of thinking about it..

Definitely. Colonel Sun seems to jump right into the action and quick pace of the novel (which doesn't really let up until towards the ending). The narrative voice of the novel reminds me quite a bit of Fleming's.

I didn't sense the modern crime drama aspect as much, but the violence stands out here more compared to other continuation Bond novels.

The travelogue aspect (which doesn't really get going until a little further in) is another good quality.

#3 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

The first chapter felt very Fleming-esque to me.. Bond's inner critical dialogue (he wonders about going soft and getting old in this novel much in the way that he questions himself in the Fleming works), the way the characters are presented and even the atmosphere seems pretty similar to something Fleming would have written or at least agreed with... Bill Tanner was a welcome surprise in the first chapter, and I thought it was appropriate that Bond would refer to him as his closest friend at MI6.

Anyway, I thought it was a little forward of Amis to kill off two of Fleming's characters in the first few pages (the Hammonds obviously weren't major characters at all but I'm still kind of shocked).

I am glad that you are (sort of) enjoying COLONEL SUN so far bond_girl. :tup:

As far as the violence is concerned, this is something that is developed rather substantially at a later point. I do not want to spoil it for you, but there is a pretty gruesome scene near the end of the book that, in my opinion at least, outranks the Fleming torture scenes in this respect. It is a brilliantly written scene, and the effect it has upon the perpetrator (I am trying not to spoil this here for you!) raises COLONEL SUN above much of the work in the same genre. The tone, as you say, is indeed harsher than anything in Fleming.

While I do not think there is anything Flemingesque about the novel (that is a plus), I do nevertheless think that Bond is he of Fleming--moreso, certainly, than Gardner's Bond or Benson's character. Amis takes the character and places him in a more bleak and violent situation, and dares to take risks. Indeed, that is why I so enjoy the killing of the Hammonds. It is a statement of intent; an early declaration that this was an Amis novel and would be different and dangerous and dark. I, for one, commend him for that.

Hopefully you will enjoy the rest of the novel. Specifically you may like the wonderful sense of place and Amis' sweep that makes Greece comes alive. Anyhoo, let us know what you think. :D

#4 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:20 PM

I didn't sense the modern crime drama aspect as much, but the violence stands out here more compared to other continuation Bond novels.

Crime drama might have been a poorly chosen phrase.. I think what reminded me of that genre was the sense of reality. I don't remember another scene where Bond sticks around and deals with body clean up and the police like he does in this one. In the next scene with the round table discussion, there's a real sense of departments and hierarchy to MI6 as well.. I dunno, it's just more realistic somehow; like a real governmental organization probably would be. I think it's a good thing, Fleming gets a little too fantastical sometimes in my opinion (what was going on in YOLT?!? The crazy suicide garden was super surreal, whoa!).

As far as the violence is concerned, this is something that is developed rather substantially at a later point. I do not want to spoil it for you, but there is a pretty gruesome scene near the end of the book that, in my opinion at least, outranks the Fleming torture scenes in this respect. It is a brilliantly written scene, and the effect it has upon the perpetrator (I am trying not to spoil this here for you!) raises COLONEL SUN above much of the work in the same genre. The tone, as you say, is indeed harsher than anything in Fleming.

I've heard it involves a screw driver, Lazenby.. I'm only hoping that 007 isn't on the wrong end of it!!! Thanks for the warning, I don't think I want to know (I'm wondering if it's worse than a smoldering cigar and a bowl of ice :tup:.

Thank you gentlemen, this has really been fun :D I'm itching to go home and start reading again!

#5 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:52 PM

I think what reminded me of that genre was the sense of reality.

Interesting; as you continue on with your reading I think you will note the greater sense of realism throughout COLONEL SUN--especially in comparison to the fantastic nature of Fleming. Personally I love both approaches, but applaud Amis for daring to do something so different. (YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE is my favourite Bond novel).

I've heard it involves a screw driver, Lazenby.. I'm only hoping that 007 isn't on the wrong end of it!!! Thanks for the warning, I don't think I want to know (I'm wondering if it's worse than a smoldering cigar and a bowl of ice :tup:.

Thank you gentlemen, this has really been fun :D I'm itching to go home and start reading again!

I don't want to spoil it for you, but it is worse. :D

As I say, enjoy. :D

#6 Double-O Eleven

Double-O Eleven

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

I'm a bit more than halfway through it now, and must say that I'm enjoying it more than most of the Gardner and Benson books. It seems more in touch with Fleming, but it was also written close to the Fleming era (only four years after his death) and wasn't so influenced by the movies. Amis was a very skilled and critically acclaimed novelist already, he knew Bond very well, and he is able to come quite close to Fleming's style. The action is excellent and the plot gripping. Amis does put a lot more political thinking and debate into the proceedings, which is a bit of a minus for me; I prefer Fleming's more fantasy-tinged style in this respect. I'm very excited to finish the book, which I should get done in the next two days.