4 replies to this topic

#1 malaysian_bond

malaysian_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

There's a new Marvel comic book movie coming out and it is directed by Kill Bill choreographer Yuen Woo Ping and will be produced by Ang Lee. It was based on the Shang-Chi comic books itself and it will have both Chinese & English dialogue. It tells a story about Shang-Chi, a kung-fu master and son of Fu Manchu (also father of Dr. No in the Wold Newton universe), who leaves evil and joins the MI6 as a kung-fu wielding spy. His allies will include Clive Reston (son of James Bond in the Wold Newton universe), Dennis Nayland Smith, Leiko Wu, Fah Lo Suee(Shang-Chi's sister), Black Jack Tarr, and other allies and villains, including The Manchu himself. Sounds cool, since i'm a fan of both Kung Fu and Marvel comics. I'm reading The Hands of Shang-Chi right now, it's kinda awesome.

In the meantime, check out Wikipedia on Shang-Chi:
Wikipedia: Shang-Chi
List of Wold Newton universe characters

IMDb Listing:
The Hands of Shang-Chi

#2 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:14 AM

Shang-Chi tangled with Spidey in one of the first comic books I ever owned. Still have it, too. I dig Shang-Chi.

Attached Files

#3 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:58 AM

Oh, how I wish this is true. :tup:

#4 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:39 AM

When I was a kid, I used to love Marvel comics. So much so that I have never thrown away the comics I collected in the early 70's. In Britain we had to make do with black and white reprints of American originals. Shang-Chi was in a comic with The Avengers and Dr Strange. Later on he alternated with Marvel's other big kung fu hero of the time, Iron Fist. I still have Spider-man's encounter with Shang-Chi as seen above, as well as his encounter with Iron Fist. (Incidentally, whatever happened to the Iron Fist film that was proposed a few years ago?).

This thread has given me an excuse to dig out some of my old comics. Initially, the Shang-Chi stories were centered around his mental and physical struggles with father Fu Manchu. Later on the stories are heavily influenced by James Bond, with Shang-Chi and his allies battling evil megalomaniacs in their underground fortresses and island lairs.

I do hope that characters like Black Jack Tarr and Clive Reston appear in this film. Reston is a James Bond clone, and some of his dialogue can still make me smile -

CARLTON VELCRO : "Should you answer my two questions satisfactorily, you will be shot before entering the pit. Should you refuse, on the other hand... you will greet my panthers with screams on your lips."

CLIVE RESTON : "Always wondered what I'd look like with a scream on my lips."

CARLTON VELCRO : "That is not what I consider a satisfactory answer, Mr Reston..."

On the subject of Marvel comics, does anyone know what the hell has happened to them these days? Some of the films featuring Marvel heroes have captured the spirit of the originals nicely. However, I was looking at a site which featured samples of new comics and I was shocked. They seem to be adult rated, containing graphic violence and sexual references. The heroes seem to have unlikeable traits such as alcoholism and wife beating, and the writers seem to revel in creating grisly deaths for them. The artwork seems to be surreal and explicit in its detail. Whatever happened to escapism for kids? At some point there has been a revolution at Marvel which I'm glad I missed. Bring back Stan Lee!

#5 malaysian_bond

malaysian_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

Not to forget, Clive Reston is James Bond's son in the Wold Newton universe. If Sony's distributing this movie, then we could see a Bond cameo!