The Name Game

8 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 03:31 PM

I am just wondering what your opinions are on the name of the next Bond game, "NightFire" compared to "Phoenix Rising".

Which one is better, and should they have keep the name Phoenix Rising?

#2 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 03:34 PM

For me, "NightFire" is an improvement on "Phoenix Rising", which sounds like a late 90's American sc-fi movie.

It's still not Fleming enough, but I guess it's all about marketing these days, and to be honest, could you see titles in the style of "The Man With The Golden Gun" or "The Spy Who Loved Me" rocking the gaming world? Nup.

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 12:39 AM

I thought "NightFire" was a wierd choice considering the previous game had 'Fire' in the title.

It's still not Fleming enough, but I guess it's all about marketing these days, and to be honest, could you see titles in the style of "The Man With The Golden Gun" or "The Spy Who Loved Me" rocking the gaming world? Nup.

Definalty not TSWLM, but TMWTGG has abit of mystery too it, I reckon that one might do okay.

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 01:43 PM

Andy (31 May, 2002 04:31 p.m.):
I am just wondering what your opinions are on the name of the next Bond game, "NightFire" compared to "Phoenix Rising".

Which one is better, and should they have keep the name Phoenix Rising?

On Channel 4 (UK) they recently showed a X-Fire special entitled 'X-Fire: Phoenix Rising'.
Cross fire is an espionage based paintball team game where they are sent on missions to retrieve an object or informatio or even to just eliminate the enemy.

I guess it must have been in the planning stages for some time and so that's why the title couldn't be used as the game.

#5 Andy

Andy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 03:51 PM

That's a good point Tanger, I remember reading about that in the Radio Times. Seeing the name Phoenix Rising was quite strange.

It could indeed be the reason why it was changed... We may never know

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 08:50 PM

I reckon they should have kept Phoenix Rising, even if it is not Fleming enough. Nightfire is not a very imaginative title, considering AUF had 'Fire' in its title, they should have looked at previous Bond titles and thought of a good'un, for example, LALD,TWINE and TSWLM are all good titles, they should have taken a leaf out of their book.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 09:02 PM

My opinon is that they should stick to making games of the films. Not that the games have to be verbatim from the films--latitude is a very good concept in FPSes--but this would at least eliminate the silly titles and give better stories. An 'environmental corporation'? ??? Get real. :)

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 11:13 PM

I think if you look at it in its context the name change is a good one.

Consider this, some guy in a computer shop walks up to you. He says that you've won a game and you have to choose between two games and pick one. (why he's doing this I don't know, he just is :)). Anyhow the games are Pheonix Rising and NightFire. Which would you choose?

Personally I'd go for NightFire. It sounds gritter. It sounds like it could be an action/adventure game where I get to shoot people. Maybe a bit like Halo X. A more 'mature' persons game.

Pheonix Rising, on the other hand, conjures images of Sonic The Hedgehog and those sorts of games. While it's a more 'mysterios' title, I think the change was for the better.

Also, I wonder what the Pheonix is and if we'll see it in the game?

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 June 2002 - 02:35 AM

Views from a non-games person:

Phoenix Rising sounds like a Tom Clancy or Larry Bond novel.

NightFire sounds like a John Gardner Bond novel.

But to use the Blues Eyes scenario, I'd choose NightFire. It sounds more Bondian.

Besides, Fire Night was my original choice for my fanfic Of Spys And Fireflies. Sounds similar. :)

BTW: my fanfic is "still coming along."