31 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 12:43 PM

I really wish that Rareware was still making the games for Bond - they'd be so much better! I mean, look at TND, can you imagine that if it was made by Rare? Wow - it'd have been great!

I also wish (I wish a lot) that Goldeneye was updated/remade with all the new great things that can be done with PC games these days - a PC version of Goldenye, playable via the Internet! Great!

If only...

#2 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 06:48 PM

I really hope that Rare makes the Bond 20 game this time round. Don't get me wrong, the EA games are good too, but I just miss the aspects of the Rare game. They also better have the Bond 20 game (if they make one) on the 64, none of this Playstation crap all the time. The only Bond game made specifically for the 64 was Goldeneye, and the rest were strictly PS or PS/64. 007 Racing would have been really good on the 64, I think. Bond on the PC would be excellent, also. It would be awesome if they made a whole Bond computer game package, with all of the past Bond games in PC form, with additions, of course ;-)

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 08:17 PM

Is there anyway we can get a message to EON that the Bond fans want RAREWARE back as game developers!!! God damn it! - the N64 controller was the best ever for Bond to have in a game enviroment!

How stupid were they to have EA make the games!

#4 OO7Qbranch

OO7Qbranch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 12:34 AM

rareware is good, but compared to rockstar games like gta3 max payne, well if anyone has played those i know you'd like to see them make a 007 game.

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 01:58 PM

I have to agree - Max Payne is great (I prefer Return To Castle Wolfenstein).

Can you imagine a multiplayer feature such as RTCW but used in a Bond scenario? Say Bond and his MI6 operatives infiltrating a Russian Chemical Weapons factory. That would be cool.

I woul hate EA to make the game though! They seem to make them as simple as possible, a simple storyline etc...

Activision or Rare would make such a better game series for Bond.

#6 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:37 PM

Well, just looking on Gamespot - and guess what! Looks like Gearbox Software saw our posts, and responded!

GameSpot recently talked with Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, about reports that the developer is working on a new James Bond action game for Electronic Arts. Gearbox is best known for its Half-Life action game expansions including Half-Life: Opposing Force and Half-Life: Blue Shift. The studio is also developing the upcoming Counter-Strike: Condition Zero in conjunction with Valve Software.
Although it is too early to release any details about the upcoming Bond game, Pitchford confirmed that the game is in fact in development for the PC, and that it will feature an original story. It will also be released on console game systems. No release date or title for the game has been announced. We'll post more information about the game as it becomes available.

What great news!

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:00 PM

It was only yesterday I started a post in the forums, longing for Bond to be on the PC again. Well, the folks at Gearbox Software (creators of the Half-Life series) seem to have noticed it; Bond is to return on PC!

The new Bond game for PC is currently being developed by Gearbox for Electronic Arts (the current developers of the Bond games) who created Tomorrow Never Dies, 007 Racing, The World Is Not Enough and the latest, Agent Under Fire.

Posted Image
Bond in Agent Under Fire

No other details are known, but the game will have an original story line to it. The game will also be available on console systems.

Bond coming back to the PC has lots of advantages to players compared to it being on a console platform. With the latest Bond games, we'e only been able to play the levels we have on the game, however, with current PC games, players have been able to download new levels to play in multiplayer games across the Internet or Network games. Also, skins can be downloaded and created so you can play as any character you like. Many more things can be achieved with a PC game, so we can't wait to get our hands on it!

Be sure to talk about the great news in this post which I started yesterday.

#8 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:09 PM

Rare were not fired by MGM after goldeneye. In fact they think they were too limited by the bond reputation. I mean they wanted blood, and more things that can t be in a bond game. So they refused to developped another bond game. It was bad, because, even if Perfect dark is improved graphicaly, the story is very strange, and the most weak point is the alien. I hate killing alien. there is no fun when you kill them !! I prefer shoot in a human leg or head, it s funnier. :-)

#9 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:14 PM

To be quite honest, I can't see why Perfect Dark was a 15 - I mean the bloody wasn't exactly realisitc, but it made the game more realistic.

If you want to make a decent Bond game, you need to blood! duh!

#10 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:23 PM

i think half the reason we've never had a Bond PC game is cos they don't want ppl to make unofficial levels and character skins. Even with a Bond PC game, there's still no guarantee we'll see new, fan-made skins and levels for it. Max Payne, Q3A, UT etc etc all have officially-released level makers and tools so that fans can do these kinda things, but that doesn't mean that one will be released for this Bond game.

I also think that it's a shame the Rare decided to give up the Bond license, as GoldenEye is still one of the best games on the N64 (the only things that might beat it in my mind are the early, human-killing levels of PD and PD's multiplayer). But look on the bright side -- if Rare still had the Bond license, there would NEVER be a Bond PC game. Always look for the bright side, eh?

#11 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:46 PM

I guess they'd be no need (even though it would be good) for Bond to be on PC if Rare was still making them.

#12 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 07:47 PM

Higher up this post several people talk about how RareWare, were not allowed or not offered the chance to make "Tomorrow Never Dies" after the success of "Goldeneye" on the Nintendo 64.
This is FALSE!
RareWare, WERE offered the chance to make "Tomorrow Never Dies", if you visit their official site, and read up on http://www.rareware.co.uk/ you can see the full story. They turned down the offer so that they could try other types of games, if you look ALL of the RareWare games are very varied.

#13 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 07:51 PM

Rare had no choice in the matter. While they state they gave up the license, it was in fact Nintendo who owns the 007 license (and still do, but they dont have strict permission to publish them in a game). Nintendo, theoretically, could make another GoldenEye game, as they hold © on the word GoldenEye. The only reason Rare got it, is because they are part owned by Nintendo, and thought a British company should make a game about a British agent. PD was good, but lacked the Bond feel.

BTW, I think a Bond PC game'd suck, I hate keyboard-mouse combo, and game pads rarely work for the game you buy it for :)

I say let EA (as they have 3 games left in their contract) make it for one of the up-coming consoles, then through theyre net features, donwload the add-ons. X Box would be best, as it has an 8gig hard drive. Imagine the console sister to GE, with add ons and PC-like graphics... just made by EA instead... well, made by GearBox.

#14 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 09:32 AM

I'd love to see a Bond PC game. With the ability to create your own levels and missions. Great.

Imagine a Volcano (Blofeld's lair) to run around in and shoot others!!!

#15 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 11:07 AM

lol - I never thought about that! The monorail, Blofeld's Piranha pool! Great!

#16 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 03:05 AM

Parasyte (31 Jan, 2002 07:51 p.m.):
I think a Bond PC game'd suck, I hate keyboard-mouse combo, and game pads rarely work for the game you buy it for :)

I say let EA (as they have 3 games left in their contract) make it for one of the up-coming consoles, then through theyre net features, donwload the add-ons. X Box would be best, as it has an 8gig hard drive. Imagine the console sister to GE, with add ons and PC-like graphics.

Argh! Mouse-keyboard is the ultimate combo for controlling an FPS. Nothing comes close -- and I do like playing FPSs on consoles. The best by far is the default controls for GoldenEye, but that's no where near as flexible and easy as the mouse-keyboard.

Also, I think a new Bond game would go best on the GameCube. Why? Well, PS2 basically sucks for FPSs mainly due to control issues. Timesplitters was just poor in that respect. And even if it was on a console with 'net access (which is all of them) it's not likely EA would make add-ons etc available, and there'd be a next to zero chance of fans being able to make them. It's only a fan who'd go to the trouble to fully and accurately model the volcano lair etc -- and that could only be done on PC.

Obviously, in the future Bond games are going to be on all the major consoles if not the PC too. That's the EA way -- put it everywhere, make as much money as possible. After all, AUF is coming to GC and Xb ASAP. My console of choice would be the GC -- not only because it has the best controller, but also cos the other games are overall better too :)

#17 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 10:34 AM

yeah NINTENDO RULLLLLLLLLLLESSS !!!!!!!

#18 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 11:00 AM

The Nintendo controllers have a track record of being the best around at all times. I found the controls fo AUF really really BAD! You couldn't strafe, look up (for example) and then shoot at the same time - tottally impossible - whereas with the N64 - you could.

However, Keyboards are easy to use when you get used to them.

#19 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 11:28 AM

100% agree, 64 controls were well thought out. What was sony thinking!? Sony pumped out to many games, Quality not quantity. Damnit, TND could have been so good, if it was released on 64, by rare. They should re-release. For some reason thats a reason why TND 'failed', the game was crap. You'd be surprised how Goldeneye64 help the movie out.

#20 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 04:05 PM

I think the mods thing would definitely make the PC the platform of choice for the next Bond game. N64 has the best controls though. Also, I'd like to see some really 'advanced' unarmed combat. There's always too much of a focus on guns and not really anything you can do without them. It'd be cool if guards ran out of ammo and then you could have fist-fights with them that ended with you pulling some uncannily-placed lever that throws them into a piranha pond! And kicks and knockout, or kill, karate-chops/punches.

And don't leave out the ability to drive cars (ANY car) just for two tank-levels. And not those 'on-rails' cars either, I want stinger missiles (front and rear firing), smoke screen, tacks, oil, machineguns, bulletproof glass, and of course an ejector seat!

Maybe perhaps make this a 'revolutionary' game that has different paths to take. Not only different hallways, etc., but chances to kill Blofeld (or whomever) right at the beginning if you go to the right places.

They ought to make a game of OHMSS or Goldfinger...

#21 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 04:16 PM

For any Bond game made now - I think there should be a non-linear line of game play - having a linear game route makes it very boring. With Goldeneye (not all but some levels, such as Bunker) you had the whole of a level, had to work in there to do vertain objectives.

#22 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 08:33 PM

I think the main problem when it comes to producing Bond games is that they are limited to a certain extent by the license. To be honest, under EA Bond games are not likely to ever become more than "very good". I don't think we'll ever see a Bond game that, in terms of games, is revolutionary, but I do think that we might be see some very enjoyable games if EA and it's developers can be bothered to put the work in.

IGN.com recently had a small preview of AUF on GameCube, and whilst they say it's pretty much the same as on PS2, it has better looking graphics (higher rez), better framerate (60 FPS) and is a lot easier to control -- i can't wait!!!

#23 Styles

Styles

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 02:52 PM

Hi...for those of you chaps who wish to play Goldeneye on your PC, try downloading an emulator such as Project64, Ultra HLE, or Corn. Then, you can run it at higher resolutions and detail settings. I've got a hundred or so screenshots I've taken of Goldeneye running on Project64 on my PIII-933/256-MB RAM/GeForce 2 Pro, and they look awesome.

#24 Renard

Renard

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 12:58 PM

Yes that would be great! Since I've got a cumputer I always wanted to play a Bond computer game!!!!

so we can just hope the next one will be playable on PC!!!

:)

#25 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 01:04 PM

There are so many advantages to having a PC game for Bond...

...updates/expansions to the game...
...download multiplayer levels...
...download player skins...such as Jaws, Mayday etc...
...superior graphics...

I can't understand why there hasn't been one yet on the PC - also, why the hell did Rare stop creating the games? Biggest mistake ever!

#26 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 01:07 PM

btw Renard - great new sig!

#27 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 02:43 PM

I believe Rare lost the licence because MGM wanted to use their in house teams and EA...pity GoldenEye is one of the greatest games ever and my favorite FPS, wish it was available for the PC, but if you like Rare's work try Perfect Dark, good gameplay, just not Bond

#28 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 03:26 PM

I've got Perfect Dark - and that is the reason I'm annoyed Rare never got the chance for TND - with the improvements seen in PD (such as voices!)...

#29 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 04:42 PM

I agree with you Renard. I would like to see a Bond game on the PC.

#30 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 08:14 PM

Bond games, Goldeneye, play on the net?... Cool! That would be like, one of the best thing in life! And GE on the net to? WOW!
Of course, this is all wishful thinking, at least we have GE and PD to hark back to:)