382 replies to this topic

#361 photographer

photographer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

A short documentary about Sedlec Ossuary, called "Kostnice" (1970) from czech director Jan Svankmajer, had been made in 1970. The location is also shown in the documentary television series "Long Way Round" which showed a long motorcycle journey through the world made by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman in 2004.

Kutná Hora was used in the "Dungeons & Dragons: the movie"; also for "Blood & Chocolate" by Katja von Garnier. The church is mentioned by Amelia at the end of the film "Adaptation".

#362 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:49 AM

Sedlec Ossuary, Czech Republic.

Posted Image

This is one of the sickest things I've ever seen. I would have found this chandelier over-the-top in the Villain's lair in a Bond film, but well, if it exists in real life, I'll have to review my standards for "over-the-top"!

#363 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:17 PM

This is one of the sickest things I've ever seen. I would have found this chandelier over-the-top in the Villain's lair in a Bond film, but well, if it exists in real life, I'll have to review my standards for "over-the-top"!

There's nothing sick about it. I get that it's unusual - bizarre, even - but it's not sadistic. It was not made for the purposes of the macarbe. I believe the reason why it happened was because the church graveyard was running out of room during the time of the bubonic plague. Unable to cope wit the demands placed upon it, the monks hit upon the idea of using the skeletons to furnish the chapel. They didn't see it as exploitative, but as literally becoming a part of the church.

#364 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

Sedlec Ossuary, Czech Republic.

Looks like a great location for a Bond movie, got to love Czech Republic! Besides the most beautiful city in the world, it has still other things to discover.

#365 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

If you think that's sick, wait till you read what the Bond villian gets up to when he visits it.

Bombshell

CBn Fan Fic

#366 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

Posted Image

#367 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I agree this place is interesting, but only for an "Indiana Jones" film or something relevant! Not for Bond!

#368 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

I agree this place is interesting, but only for an "Indiana Jones" film or something relevant! Not for Bond!

That would be the cliché. But I think it could fit into a Bond film quite well.

#369 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:15 AM

They should go to the Balkans, but for real this time. Croatia is stunning.

Greece was hideously underused in FYEO, too.

They should go to the Balkans, but for real this time. Croatia is stunning.

Greece was hideously underused in FYEO, too.

#370 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'm bumping this thread because it's a good one, and also because I've found a decent building that could serve as a villain's lair: the McLaren Technology Centre at Woking:

Posted Image

#371 domnule alb

domnule alb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

Central Asia if going with oil angle

Cyprus/Greece if smuggling involved

Algeria or Morocco for opening scene action

#372 Sir. Walter

Sir. Walter

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

My first post here, but i think this studio in Poland would be a great place for a scene.

[http://bi.gazeta.pl/...1/z8151019X.jpg[/img]

[http://www.alvernia....ring-studio"]My link[/url]

Edited by Sir. Walter, 07 October 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#373 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Canada, North Korea or the inland China (South Gansu for instance). Anyway, the best future location will remain Royale-les-Eaux.

#374 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:22 AM

I'm bumping this thread because it's a good one, and also because I've found a decent building that could serve as a villain's lair: the McLaren Technology Centre at Woking:

Posted Image

Yeah, I can definatly see a kind of Moonraker helicopter arrival with Bond checking out the structures and the views :tup: Nice one Captain.

#375 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

The Canadian Arctic would be an interesting location, especially if combined with Russia, Svalbard, Hokkaido, etc. However, it would be a bit bleak for a whole film, I suppose, and with too few opportunities for bikini girls.

#376 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

It could have been done well in the 1970s or 1980s - a high-ranking Soviet spymaster wants to defect to the UK, but his cover gets blown and the Soviets seal all their borders. So he instead decides to defect by the only route that he knows: across the Arctic, and Bond must help him across.

#377 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

I was thinking it might be interesting for Bond to explore the recent competition between Russia and Canada viz arctic territorial claims. But I doubt if we'll ever see a Bond film primarily set in a cold or otherwise inclement locale. It's just too unpleasant for those behind the camera. MGW, in particular, seems like the sort who would veto a project that would require his presence in an icy clime. (Just my impression; maybe I'm being unfair.) From a purely economic perspective, it probably does make sense to avoid cold, extreme climates. It's not as if audiences are actually <i>turned off</i> by warm settings, so why stop using them? But from the perspective of realism or maybe just contrariety, I find it annoying that the bulk of Bond's work takes him to sunny vacation spots, with just a handful of brief scenes taking place in harsher weather (like the snowy scene toward the end of QOS).

#378 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Someone on the other forums posted this link:

http://weburbanist.c...ubway-stations/

I could see four of these - the Bund in Shanghai, Iidabashi in Tokyo, the Stockholm Tunnelbana and Drassanes in Barcelona - serving as part of the villain's lair, probably as his intended escape route with a private bullet train.

Full cedit to M_Balje for giving me the link.

#379 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:19 AM

Another idea: space.

Only done properly. I know the idea of Bond in space takes criticism, but I think it can finally be done right - with comemrcial space travel.

The story could go something like this: over the course of Bond's investigation, he finds evidence of a billionaire being implict in a scheme. The businessman is prominent, particularly with his commercial spaceflight ventures. Realising that MI6 is on to him, he decides to cancel the celebrations of one year of commercial spaceflight, which involves a large party in a private spacecraft. His partners convince him that cancelling it would look suspicious, so the party goes ahead. MI6 manage to get Bond onto the flight, and the traditional Bond-meets-the-villain-at-a-swanky-party scene takes place at the edge of space in this baby:

Posted Image

The film would have to use a larger model, since SpaceShipTwo isn't actually that big. But I think it would make for a great-looking scene, without having to address the issues of how Bond can be an astronaut without actually having astronaut training. And space would only be instrumental to the plot in the sense one of the villains bankrolls commercial spaceflights and Bond uses it to get close to him. So there's not space-based superweapons or hidden space stations; like the GoldenEye satellites, commercial spaceflight is based on real sciene, making it much more plausible (which is why GOLDENEYE is such a strong film).

At the very least, Spaceport America would be a very Bondian location:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#380 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

South africa I'm kinda sad the plans to film there fell though for Sky fall...

actually India South Africa and New York City

3 locations at one point rumored for Skyfall all of which I'd be happy with for bond 24

#381 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

What about the Neuschwanstein Castle? It is a absolutlely beautiful location to film a Bond film, perhaps it could be the lair of the villian,

Posted Image

Or the dolomites, another spectacular location,

http://colletts.co.uk/walkingholidays/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/walking-in-the-dolomites-005.jpg

#382 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

What about the Neuschwanstein Castle? It is a absolutlely beautiful location to film a Bond film, perhaps it could be the lair of the villian,

Posted Image

Or the dolomites, another spectacular location,

http://colletts.co.uk/walkingholidays/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/walking-in-the-dolomites-005.jpg

Oh yes ! And what about the return of a James Bond skying ? Would be amazing.

#383 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

South africa I'm kinda sad the plans to film there fell though for Sky fall...

The current theory - courtesy of Shrublands - is that EON never had any intention of shooting in South Africa, because India was always a backup plan. The Indians made a great deal of noise about SKYFALL filming there, with virtually every government department and bureaucrat having something to say. However, the theory holds that EON was negotiating with India and China simultaneously, knowing full well that both countries can be difficult to work with (India because they demand to be portrayed in a certain way; China because they get upset with political issues like Tibet and Taiwan). When the Chinese agreed to let filming take place, EON withdrew from India. And although South Africa tried to court them, as far as we know, EON did not approach them. If the theory holds true, EON did not approach South Africa because they already had permission for China.