This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Best of Ian Fleming

92 replies to this topic

Poll: The Flemings

Your favourite...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Your least favourite...?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Your favourite short story...?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

I loved, loved, LOVED the beginning of The Man With the Golden Gun. Then it quickly fell apart. They take this beautiful setup of a brainwashed Bond trying to kill M and then just ignored for some silliness about sugar monopolies in Cuba. Why?

My least favorite novel. By far. Even TSWLM, another novel I am not crazy about, attempted something different.

I still would love to see a movie made around the beginning of this story. I had hopes that that was what they were going to do in DAD, but again they just ignored it for a rehashing of Moonraker.

#92 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

A most unusual choice.
[/quote]

Which one?
[/quote]

Well, all three. Haven't seen that particular combination before, extraordinary. Take a look at the ballot, few people pick TSWLM as their favourite novel. Same goes for TPOAL.
[/quote]

I think TSWLM could have worked as a short story. But as a full on novel? Halfway through Viv's retelling of her life and sexual exploits, I was half hoping for Jaws to show up.

I like the grittier elements of the Fleming Bond, but I do not read this stufffor kitchen sink lierary realism
Still, props for attempting something different.

I would have LOVED to see them attempt a faithful film version while trying to stay close to the Bond movie formula. I wonder if they could have pulled it off?

Edited by archer1949, 08 November 2011 - 05:20 AM.

#93 Secret Treaties

Secret Treaties

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

"You Only Live Twice" is sort of a Bond master class. When you've devoured the other, more straight-forward narratives, "You Only Live Twice" challenges you in a new way. Bond is a wreck, far removed from the character in the first novel, and I've always believed the novel represents Fleming's most successful attempt at deepening Bond's character.

"From Russia, With Love" is one of the best thrillers of the 20th century. The quintessential Bond novel.