15 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 09:25 PM

Does anybody know if there has ever been a 'Bond album'? This would contain all Bond music inlucing title and credits music. If anyone knows anything, come forward please.

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 05:01 AM

Clarification appreciated. But I'd still like to see a remastered Goldfinger album with all the 30th anniversary stuff on it. . .and anything else they may have in the vaults. In fact, all of the soundtracks from 1962-1979 deserve to be polished up, expanded, and put in the stores. Some of these films contain John Barry's very best work, and it all deserves to be heard.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 05:42 AM

And don't forget Octopussy. They must have put no effort in to the CD because three of the tracks are of Roger Moore with Lois Maxwell, Desmond Llewellyn, and Louis Jourdan. The Maxwell one was funny, but I'd rather hear the gunbarrel music and a longer version of the 'Chase Bomb Theme'.

#4 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 04:07 PM

Dunph, I don't see how getting all this Bond music can be bad. The only reason we search for it and talk about it is because we can't buy it yet. I want to stop searching and start listening to it.

If they can conjure uo almost 30 minutes extra of the Thunderball soundtrack from their vaults for the 30th anniversary CD, then they must have lots of other cues just sitting about. Now is the ideal time to bring them out.

I'd prefer fully remastered CDs for each soundtrack rather than a 40th anniversary collection on 1 or 2 CDs.

#5 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 09:44 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I can tell you that in addition to the film soundtracks there have been several notable albums released as tributes or collecting versions of the Bond title songs. There are plenty of albums out there. I recommend you do an Amazon music search for James Bond. You'll probably come up with a few of the following...

"The Best of Bond... James Bond" collects the original recordings of the first 18 Bond title tracks.

"The Essential James Bond," "The Best of the James Bond Themes," "Bond Back in Action" and the like offer re-recordings of Bond music and themes done by various orchestras. Personally, I recommend you steer clear of these. There's nothing like the original recordings and these re-recordings come off a bit cheap.

"Bond Beat and Bass: The Elektronika James Bond Themes" is one of my favorites, a techno tribute to a few of the most memorable Bond tunes featuring some unique remixes.

Perhaps most notable of all is "Shaken and Stirred: The David Arnold James Bond Project." David Arnold brought together an eclectic mix of some of today's most talented artists (Propellerheads, Pulp, Chrissie Hynde, Iggy Pop, etc.) to cover their favorite Bond themes. The result is pretty spectacular. This one is not to be missed.

As is evident from this list, there's plenty of offerings to choose from in addition to the official soundtrack releases. You'll just have to pick and choose.

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 10:08 PM

I have the James Bond 30th Anniversary double CD, released 10 years ago (natch!) and still available at new and used CD stores. This is an absolutely terrific collection--CD #1 contains all the title songs (or theme music) from "Dr. No" through "Licence to Kill;" and CD #2 contains some real gems, such as music from "Thunderball" that was left off the original album, the original version of "Goldfinger" sung in lounge-lizard style by Anthony Newley, a demo of "You Only Live Twice" that is nothing like the finished song, radio spots, and more. If you can find it, buy it. Otherwise, I hope someone puts out an even more extensive 40th anniversary collection this year.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 01:54 AM

I think the 'James Bond 30th anniversary set is the closest yet to a complete album. Still, not every forgotten track has been released on CD. There's that 'Who Will Buy My Yesterdays?' and 'Gumboldt's Safe Break' from On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. And The Spy Who Loved Me must have had more than the 10 tracks they gave us.

#8 leviramsey

leviramsey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 04:55 AM

Carver (17 May, 2002 10:25 p.m.):
Does anybody know if there has ever been a 'Bond album'? This would contain all Bond music inlucing title and credits music. If anyone knows anything, come forward please.

Am I the only one who thinks that a box set of the best music from the films is the perfect addition to the James Bond @ 40 hype that we'll be seeing this autumn?

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 07:46 PM

leviramsey (18 May, 2002 05:55 a.m.):

Am I the only one who thinks that a box set of the best music from the films is the perfect addition to the James Bond @ 40 hype that we'll be seeing this autumn?

I agree with you there. :) But I'd rather see all the unreleased tracks released. Also sheet music for some of the more popular tracks might be good.

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 02:49 AM

leviramsey (18 May, 2002 05:55 a.m.):

Carver (17 May, 2002 10:25 p.m.):

That would be like the Holy Grail. Put that on my Xmas list. Or maybe they could do ones by era, starting with Connery, Moore, Lazenby/Dalton then Brosnan. I really want a complete Diamonds Are Forever CD, the most neglected album of all.

#11 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:34 AM

Complete DAF, YOLT, OHMSS or Moonraker would be great. But I've been waiting for these for years. Surely the 40th is the time to bring at least some of these out on CD.

All we can get at the moment in the way of a complete soundtrack is TB, FYEO, TLD, TND and TWINE. It isn't great is it?

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:44 PM

Goldfinger seems to be a pretty complete soundtrack with 'The Laser' and the Anthony Newly et al tracks.

But I agree with bringing out a fully complete set of cds.

#13 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 10:31 PM

I did see a CD awhile ago (maybe a month or so), and it had every single one of the title songs up to The World is not Enough on it. I can't recall what it was called, but if you're only intetrested in title songs, that'd be the one to get. Also, there's a Shirley Bassey remix album out there titled "Shirley Bassey: The Remix Album...Diamonds Are Forever" and it contains Goldfinger remixed by Propellerheads, and Diamonds Are Forever remixed by Mantronik. I have it, and it's worth a look. Fortunately, I didn't have to buy a CD to get all the title songs: my friend got all of them and made a custom CD for us with sound clips and the Moby 007 remix (I think that's what it is).

#14 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 10:32 PM

What you people are referring to are the ever-elusive "40th Anniversary Collection" Bond soundtrack CDs that I have personally been trying to find information on for months. According to some, the first imprints have already been made to this highly hallowed collection of CDs, other than that snippet, of what could most probably be false, information, there is nothing to go on.

I do think, however, that releasing AL: the James Bond music would be a bad thing. When they are released. What would you search for? What would you spend your days talking about wanting to have? Although production of the soundtracks has, in my opinion, been the most lacklustre and under-used promotional angle of the films, it is beneficial to both us and EON that all the tracks aren't released.

However a half-way decent 40th Anniversary collection would be a boon. And I'm sure it would rake in a lot of capital for all parties concerned.

We can but wait and hope. :)

(P.S. What the bloody hell has happened to the region 2 Bond DVDs? They seem to have been discontinued, as I work part-time for Currys (a UK electrical retailer) and they are all now listed as that. Could this mean a NEW 40th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION of DVDs?! I hope not, that means I'll have to sell my other ones!)

What do you think, folks?

#15 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:48 AM

General Koskov (19 May, 2002 10:44 p.m.):
Goldfinger seems to be a pretty complete soundtrack with 'The Laser' and the Anthony Newly et al tracks.

Of what do you speak, General? Is there a new, remastered Goldfinger out there, with additional material on it? I have the CD, but it's identical to my old LP. . .and the only additional material I have--including the Anthony Newley song--is on the 30th anniversary CD. I'm intrigued.

I'm also interested in this news about a 40th anniversary CD. First I've heard of it. As for what we'd talk about once we've collected all the soundtracks. . .we're Bond freaks! We never stop talking about Bond-related subjects!

#16 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 01:40 AM

Sorry about the ambiguity. I was referring to two of the many previously-unreleased tracks from Goldfinger that are on the 30th Anniversary CD set. 'The Laser' is the suspense music from (guess what!) the 'laser scene'.