Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 10:32 PM

in the Living Daylights, there is a piece of rock music used in what i can
only describe as "the ghetto blaster" scene (not long into the movie), where
Q demonstrates to Bond the radio/tape with a built in missile (buffs will
know what im talking about). As one of Q's lab techs demonstrates the
device, rock music is played from the "ghetto blaster".

my question. what is this piece of music and who plays it?!

first up, it does not feature on the Living Daylights soundtrack, and does
not feature in the films end credits. also, it was not created specially for
the movie as it also could be heard in another 1987 movie "Creepshow II", as
the kids were driving to the lake in the movies first segment called "The Raft". it must be commercial piece of music, but i would really love to know which guitar maestro plays it.

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 November 2001 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately in circumstances where "incidental" music is required, it (in most cases) is drawn from a vast library of music in the studio's vault. The library is a collection of music that has been built up from all the movies in which the studio (not the composer) would own the music rights.

More than likely, that particular piece of music you are referring to Ferris, was written for a specific movie, but has since been utilised in these two films.

It could be almost impossible to determine the name of that piece of music, and who wrote it, unless you knew someone in the music library that helped sellect it to suit the director's requests.

#3 Ferris

Ferris

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2001 - 06:28 PM

Blofeld's Cat (10 Nov, 2001 10:32 a.m.):
Unfortunately in circumstances where "incidental" music is required, it (in most cases) is drawn from a vast library of music in the studio's vault. The library is a collection of music that has been built up from all the movies in which the studio (not the composer) would own the music rights.

dont you find it strange that a this piece, heard in 2 separate movies from 1987, has never been heard again (to my knowledge)?

More than likely, that particular piece of music you are referring to Ferris, was written for a specific movie, but has since been utilised in these two films.

if it was written for a specific movie, ie, one of the two movies i mentioned (LD and creepshow 2), why does it not get a mention in the credits?

It could be almost impossible to determine the name of that piece of music, and who wrote it, unless you knew someone in the music library that helped sellect it to suit the director's requests.

aww come on!!!!! thats basically you saying "i don't know who composed/played it". why bother replying?

#4 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 11 November 2001 - 12:14 AM

aww come on!!!!! thats basically you saying "i don't know who composed/played it". why bother replying?

Now now, calm down, calm down.... :)

Blofeld's Cat's reply is useful because it tells you how hard it will be to trace the piece. Sometimes not even the most seasoned Bond fans can give instant solutions!

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 November 2001 - 02:09 AM

Believe it or not Ferris, some posts try to be helpful and or informative.

I don't know the answer to your question.

However, instead of just saying that, I am offering the reason that no one may know the answer up to now (we're talking 14 years).

I'm sure that at least one of the major Bond sites would have posted this musical tidbit if it was known who wrote/performed this "ghetto-blaster" piece, and you would not have have the need to ask the question.

Ferris, we all welcome your probing inquiries, knowledgeable input, and constructive criticisms on CBN in the coming months.

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 11 November 2001 - 02:11 AM

I don't know who composed/played it, either. ;D