14 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 12:34 PM

Hello, I'm fairly new here, so forgive me if this has been done already.

I'd like to know if you can recommend any cover versions of the Bond songs. I know of the obvious ones like David Arnold's album and Guns n Roses, Celine Dion etc. Are there any others worth a listen??

Cheers.

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 April 2002 - 11:53 PM

Tanger (19 Apr, 2002 11:33 p.m.):
To be honest, that Sex Mob CD doesn't really appeal to me. The tracks are more like 'mutilations' of the original tracks. It just doesn't sound like decent listening to me. I'm sure of heard that version of the OO7 theme somewhere before though.
I'm lucky, I was going to get this. Good job I didn't, I would have been so dissapointed.
What does anyone else think of it?

This sort of music is not to my tastes too, but because it's so different to other covers it's worth adding to any Bond music collection as it is so unique.

#3 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:14 PM

James Page (07 Apr, 2002 10:08 p.m.):
We have another 150+ tracks to add, but obviously can't do them all in one go.

If anyone is up for it, I was thinking of publishing the list of tracks on the forums, and the ppl can vote for which ones they'd like to see in the next update. 3 a week to start with I think.

Any news on which tracks you have for people to vote on, or when MI6 might add some more?

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 12:44 PM

I can't actually recommend anything from Guns 'n Roses.

Seriously, hop over to CBN's partner site MI6.co.uk. They have a nice collection of lost and alternate Bond themes.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 10:31 PM

To be honest, that Sex Mob CD doesn't really appeal to me. The tracks are more like 'mutilations' of the original tracks. It just doesn't sound like decent listening to me. I'm sure of heard that version of the OO7 theme somewhere before though.
I'm lucky, I was going to get this. Good job I didn't, I would have been so dissapointed.
What does anyone else think of it?

#6 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 01:21 PM

Yup, The Alternative Music Project is th eplace to be.

We've just moved servers so the MP3's have been down for a couple of weeks. However. they hopefully be back up by tonight as we have completed the anti-leeching work.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 08:52 PM

I suggest you track down the 'Lost Prophets' cover of A View to a Kill (thanks to DunphBoy007 for the tip-off). It really is something special. It's at a slower pace but is a nice update with electric tunes and scratching in the place of the drumbeats between the stanzas.
It's widely available on Audiogalaxy. It's worth downloading.

#8 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 09:08 PM

Yes I've got the Lost Prohets A View to a Kill cover, it's very good. The best A View to a Kill one yet I beliece.

The MI6 Alternative Music Project is back online now with MI6Mediia.

We have another 150+ tracks to add, but obviously can't do them all in one go.

If anyone is up for it, I was thinking of publishing the list of tracks on the forums, and the ppl can vote for which ones they'd like to see in the next update. 3 a week to start with I think.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 09:29 PM

I have an interesting cover of Thunderball if you're interested James. It's in Wav. format though so i'll have to burn it to disc and run it thru Audiocatalyst but that's no trouble. I've also edited it so that the quality's fairly good.
Do you have any Thunderball covers?
This one's by 'Mr. Bungle'.

#10 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 09:34 PM

Oh, I've also got three of the four 'Ten Masked Men' covers.
You probably have these, but I can send you them if you don't.
I have: The Man with the Golden Gun, The Living Daylights and A View to a Kill. The other one is Diamonds Are Forever but this is restricted and you have to be a Gold Audiogalaxy member to download it.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 April 2002 - 06:45 AM

I've just bought and heard a CD by http://www.sexmob.com/ called Sex Mob Does Bond.

Its jazzy, bluesy, avant-garde, and psychedelic, but very original and different, which is why I like it.

You can listen to sound samples of each song at Tower Records.

#12 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 03:07 PM

James - 150 tracks! Sounds like a real treat to me. Put the list on here anytime,I for one would love to see which tracks you've got.

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 03:08 AM

Tanger (19 Apr, 2002 11:34 p.m.):
Oh, I've also got three of the four 'Ten Masked Men' covers.
You probably have these, but I can send you them if you don't.
I have: The Man with the Golden Gun, The Living Daylights and A View to a Kill. The other one is Diamonds Are Forever but this is restricted and you have to be a Gold Audiogalaxy member to download it.

Have just heard the first 3 tracks you mentioned, Tanger.

Good grief! The singer is like a cross between Wolfman Jack and Dracula on valium. :)

I prefer Sex Mod to Ten Masked Men, any day.

#14 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Victor Zokas
I'd like to know if you can recommend any cover versions of the Bond songs. Are there any others worth a listen??

My Bloody Valentine did a stellar version of We Have All the Time in the World - it's really difficult to track down as it was released on an Island records best of in the early 1990s

#15 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 11:54 AM

^^^^^^ you can get that cover off the net quite easily....:)