8 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 11:42 PM

If you listen to the music playing during 'the fight at Kobe dock', there is a synthesizer tune playing that sounds exactly the same as the main theme from OHMSS. Could this have been an early idea for yet another alternate Bond theme that John Barry wanted to introduce?
Could it have been that when scoring OHMSS, John Barry decided that he liked that sample so much, that he wanted to make an entire tune out of it?

I'd like to know what everybody else thinks and if anybody knows whether there is a deliberate connection between the two separate pieces.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:38 PM

TGO (13 Apr, 2002 12:33 a.m.):
Actually, there was some synth used in DAF. Although it is very subtle.

Welcome to CBN TGO.
Where abouts is this? If it is on the soundtrack album, could you please point out which track it is.

I suppose this doesn't really count as it was after On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, but the piece in You Only Live Twice is exactly the same as what comes after the opening bars of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

#3 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:47 AM

Tanger (13 Apr, 2002 12:38 a.m.):

Welcome to CBN TGO.
Where abouts is this? If it is on the soundtrack album, could you please point out which track it is.

Glad to be here, Tanger. If you listen closely to "Bond Meets Bambi and Thumper", about in the middle of the song, you'll hear a synth playing the DAF melody.

#4 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:56 AM

And in the movie, when Bond sneaks into Dr. Metz's van, there is use of a synth as well.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 01:00 AM

Thanks TGO
Have you heard the one we're talking about? It's basically the On Her Majesty’s Secret Service theme; in You Only Live Twice. It's really strange and nearly exactly the same. We're trying to find out if it was part of another, alternate Bond theme (like OO7) that John Barry was working on and wnated to reoccur, but by the time On Her Majesty’s Secret Service rolled around, just wanted to use it as it's theme and leave it at that.

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 10:06 PM

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 April 2002 - 01:09 AM

I'd need to get my hands on the particular pieces of music, but I'd say that Barry has just reworked one of his previous pieces to suit On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

A variation on a theme, so to speak.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 01:39 AM

Yeah, I've noticed the simliarities before. One other early idea for YOLT that was used in OHMSS was the idea of using a good story! ^_^

Sorry, I just find it irrisistable to bash YOLT when the oppotunity presents itself!

#9 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:33 PM

Actually, there was some synth used in DAF. Although it is very subtle.