8 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 04:17 AM

While it was great to see Halle Berry win, Judi Dench recognized, the ninja scene in the Circe du Soleil (spelling?) number and mention of Bond in the favorite movies montage, somebody missed the boat big time on one thing at Sunday's Oscar ceremony -- the greatest song/composer montage made no mention at all of the Bond theme or recognition of John Barry.

How can you have the themes from Jaws, Star Wars and E.T. but no Bond. I know John Williams was the orchestra conductor, but Bill Conti and a few others were recognized, but no Barry. I've heard surveys that name the Bond theme the most recognizable piece of movie music of all time. Yet music from The Natural and Exodus made the cut? Please...

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 04:39 AM

Possibly, just possibly, the reason they didn't play the Bond theme when they showed John Barry was because he didn't write it. It seemed to me that the music montage was a tribute to the great film composers through the years and one could hardly call Monty Norman one of the great film composers.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 March 2002 - 07:13 AM

Mister Asterix (28 Mar, 2002 04:39 a.m.):
Possibly, just possibly, the reason they didn't play the Bond theme when they showed John Barry was because he didn't write it. It seemed to me that the music montage was a tribute to the great film composers through the years and one could hardly call Monty Norman one of the great film composers.

Agreed. That would be the logical and legal reasoning.

Norman has already taken The Sunday Times to court over misrepresentation so I'd imagine he'd take the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences to court too if the theme was played to associate with Barry.

#4 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 11:36 PM

PaulZ108 (28 Mar, 2002 04:22 a.m.):
Back in 1997 they brought Connery on stage with the Bond theme when he presented an award.  I bet that p***ed him off.

Heh. Reminds me of the time when Connery got that tribute presented to him at some special banquet. They showed a video of his life. When it got to the start of his film career, the Bond theme blasted out and went on about the films for longer than he would have liked. He was so ticked.

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 04:52 AM

Barry was in there. but no Bond music, they were focusing on scores that won......and there was some of Barry's work present...

#6 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 05:34 PM

I am so happy someone brought this up. After they finished the montage a few people who were watching the Oscars with me said why didn't they play the James Bodn theme? One person who isn't a "Bond fan" as it were even said I can't believe it, even I know the entire theme. Unbelievable that probably one of the most recognizable adventure movie themes is not played. :)

#7 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 05:30 AM

Yes Barry was represented by Out Of Africa. (sublime score) But the mind boggles that not one Bond score has ever won. But then Bond has always been under appreciated at the Oscars.

MBE

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 01:50 AM

Maybe next year they'll do something special for the 40th Bond. Lifetime Achievement, I suspect. Still though, that kinda sucks that the theme wasn't played. Oh well.

#9 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 04:22 AM

Back in 1997 they brought Connery on stage with the Bond theme when he presented an award. I bet that p***ed him off.