Riding The Gardner Roller Coaster

62 replies to this topic

#61 marmaduke

marmaduke

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:35 AM

Hi Dinovelvet.Enjoyed reading your comments on my 'rating list' of Gardner's novels.Re the novalizations, yes i think that after reading Benson's originals i may well go back and read both the Gardner novalizations as well as Benson's.Re those short stories however, i tend to agree with you in that i 'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort to track them down. :)

#62 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:47 AM

I am reading the Gardners in order, just finished Nobody Lives For Ever. (The 28th Bond novel i have read this year!) What a fantastic novel. Gripping, exciting, written with verve, a strong plot...better than some of the lesser Flemings IMO. I have read Colonel Sun and all the Bensons, and this is the best continuation novel so far for me.

My league table:

LICENCE RENEWED. ***1/2. Liked the scene-setting at the beginning, then it slows down, but once we get to Murik's castle, the pace never flags. Great, believable plot. Not sure about Tanner on a field mission, though.
FOR SPECIAL SERVICES. **1/2. I can't for the life of me understand why this is loved so much. I found it tedious. The villains, the girls, the locations, the plot are all mediocre. And how original...let's bring back SPECTRE! And what's the obesession with daughters? Leiter and Blofeld's daughters appearing just smacks of fan fiction.
ICEBREAKER. ***. Starts off really well, but too many double crosses, Bond doesn't get involved enough, and the villain hardly meets Bond. Still, good action, interesting locales, a solid Bond adventure.
ROLE OF HONOUR. ****. Didn't find it boring, but refreshingly realistic, evenly paced and intriguing. The fastest read thus far.
GOLDENEYE. ***. I love the film, so perhaps I am biassed, but Gardner didn't seem to care much for the script or the characters (he has them say 'stop being so melodramatic' a lot!) and it was very workmanlike.

Starting NO DEALS, MR. BOND today. It sure is interesting reading the continuation novels.I avoided them for years but I feel a whole new world is opening up for me now. The books keep the character going, and put him in interesting and original situations. They can also get more in-depth than the films often can. (Compare the film of TND and the superior Benson novelisation.) Unlike the Flemings, nobody seems to agree on which books are the best, which makes reading them all exciting! The fact I enjoyed ROLE OF HONOUR and few else did bodes well for the disappointment after disappointment my fellow fans are preparing me for!!!

Edited by manfromjapan, 23 December 2006 - 04:02 AM.

#63 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:50 AM

I am reading the Gardners in order...

Pretty good timing! I encourage you to add your reviews of them to the . :)