This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Hairstyle Manfunction:Why the Dracula look in LTK?

71 replies to this topic

#31 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

I didn't know about a possible "Raven" remake, but Dalton did appear in a couple of straight horror movies. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the titles, so maybe someone can help me. One was supposedly based on the case "The Exorcist," was derived from, where the possessed was a boy not a girl, and Dalton was a priest (sorry ladies). The other was about Burke & Hare, the grave robbers, and Dalton was the doctor that hired them. Hammer studios had an earlier version called "Flesh and the Fiends,

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 27 January 2006 - 07:19 PM.

#32 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

Dalton would been a great Dr Strange(the marvel superhero). Brosnan too...

#33 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

I didn't know about a possible "Raven" remake, but Dalton did appear in a couple of straight horror movies.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the titles, so maybe someone can help me.  One was supposedly based on the case "The Exorcist," was derived from, where the possessed was a boy not a girl, and Dalton was a priest (sorry ladies).  The other was about Burke & Hare, the grave robbers, and Dalton was the doctor that hired them.

View Post

Shame, The Raven one sounds quite good.

As for Tim's movies ... The Exorcist one is called Possessed ( also had Christopher Plummer in it who I also adore) and isn't a bad little movie. And even as a priest, Tim is still lovely. :tup:

The other one is The Doctor and The Devils were he plays Dr Thomas Rock. That had quite a good cast list including Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Pryce, Steven Rae, Sian Phillips and Julian Sands. Again, not bad. Not great, but not bad.

#34 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:51 PM

What's funny is that the DVD sleeve for LTK features a publicity shot of Dalton, circa TLD, repainted and hairbrushed, but still...

#35 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

[quote name='Lady Rose' date='27 January 2006 - 19:06']Personally, I always thought he would have made a great Dracula.

View Post

[/quote]

Me too, Lady Rose! :tup:

[quote name='Stephen Spotswood' date='27 January 2006 - 19:11']Both the earlier "Raven" movies had virtually nothing to do with Poe.

Edited by Royal Dalton, 27 January 2006 - 08:09 PM.

#36 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

[quote name='Lady Rose' date='27 January 2006 - 19:46']As for Tim's movies ... The Exorcist one is called Possessed

#37 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

[quote name='spynovelfan' date='27 January 2006 - 15:17'][quote name='Lady Rose' date='27 January 2006 - 19:46']As for Tim's movies ... The Exorcist one is called Possessed

#38 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

Re: TD "...never distracted him from embarking on campy* or otherwise 'irregular' ventures: [b]Sextette..."

I actually watched "Sextette," when I was in the Air Force, and I always remembered what should be a classic Mae West line. When told her new husband, played by Timothy Dalton, was an English secret agent, twice as big as James Bond, she purred, "I don't know, I've never measured either one of them." Although I was distracted by her face never seeming to move in that movie, that's when I pegged Dalton as the next James Bond I wanted to see. Then when I saw him play Prince Barin in "Flash Gordon," I liked the way he handled a laser rifle, and that convinced me.

#39 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Dalton may look like Patrick Stewart in a Dracula wig, but look at who Patrick Stewart looks like.

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/3460773.stm

This was the Kennewick man who apparenty was walking around the state of Washington 9,000 years ago. Scientists rebuilt his face over his skull.

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 27 January 2006 - 09:33 PM.

#40 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

I actually watched "Sextette," when I was in the Air Force, and I always remembered what should be a classic Mae West line.  When told her new husband, played by Timothy Dalton, was an English secret agent, twice as big as James Bond, she purred, "I don't know, I've never measured either one of them." 

View Post

James Bond mentioned in a pre-Bond Dalton film? Cool. :tup:

#41 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

His character is mentioned as being James Bond-like in that Charlie's Angels episode he did, too. :tup:

#42 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:16 AM

His character is mentioned as being James Bond-like in that Charlie's Angels episode he did, too. :tup:

View Post

He did a Charlie's Angels episode?

#43 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

View Post

He did a Charlie's Angels episode?

View Post

Sure did ... his James Bond type character was called Damian Roth and he got to fool around with Farrah. The episode is called 'Fallen Angel' and is one of the few things I haven't seen of Tim!

#44 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

There's another interesting coincidence with Timothy Dalton and Dracula. Both have been compared to wolves. Although the book Dracula somewhat resembled Mark Twain, he had several wolvish traits even in his human form. He had pointed ears, long sharp fingernails, and hair growing from the palm of his hands. In the Hamiton Dean/John Balderston play, "Dracula, the Vampire Play," that Lugosi's movie was based on, they refer to the Count a couple of times as the werewolf. Timothy Dalton was the host of an episode of "In The Wild," about wolves. The episode opened with a close up of a wolf's face, than zeroed in on the wolf's eyes, then sequed into another pair of wolfish eyes, and pulled back to show Timothy Dalton. Later a wolf expert was trying to teach Dalton what a wolf's cry sounds like, and then Timothy Dalton pulls his head back and howls like a wolf, and one would swear it sounded authtentic.

Ofcourse the young Sean Connery was compared in strength and grace to a jungle cat, and Dalton to a wolf. I guess if Brosnan resemebles any kind of critter it's a poodle.

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 30 January 2006 - 03:02 PM.

#45 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

Ofcourse the young Sean Connery was compared in strength and grace to a jungle cat, and Dalton to a wolf. I guess if Brosnan resemebles any kind of critter it's a poodle.

You are, of course, making reference to the dog which is not only an excellent hunter and swimmer (the name comes from the German word pudelnass, meaning puddle) but also considered to be the most intelligent of all dogs.

Poodles are not covered with hair; rather, their covering is wool, and so they must be sheared like a sheep; in fact, the poodle was used to guard sheep. The shearing of poodles began because the heaviness of the wool, when wet, weighed the dog down in its hunting duty of being a water retriever. To show a poodle, the dog must be sheared in one of the requisite cuts. Additionally, the very fact that poodles do not, and cannot, shed -- as do other dirty, messy, hairy breeds -- makes them an excellent and highly-coveted pet, since they are non-allergenic.

When a full-grown Standard rears up on its hind legs, it stands over six feet in height. Because of the poodle's intelligence, strength, and beauty, it became in such demand that requests arose for a smaller, more "house-size" pet. As a result, the poodle was bred with smaller dogs to create the Miniature breed; then smaller still for the Toy; then yet again smaller for the Teacup.

Poodles also live a great deal longer than most dogs, often reaching the age of nineteen years. I, myself, have been the extremely happy owner of a Poodle for the past eleven years, and I can tell you that no more intelligent, loyal, and well-behaved animal exists.

I would not have any other breed.

#46 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

You are, of course, making reference to the dog which is not only an excellent hunter and swimmer (the name comes from the German word for puddle) but also considered to be the most intelligent of all dogs.

Defending Pierce as a poodle. I'd say that's a first.

While we're at it, what animals are Moore and Lazenby? I'm thinking jackrabbit and fox, respectively. And David Niven strikes me as a bit on the mouse-ish side.

#47 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:39 PM

You are, of course, making reference to the dog which is not only an excellent hunter and swimmer (the name comes from the German word for puddle) but also considered to be the most intelligent of all dogs.

Defending Pierce as a poodle. I'd say that's a first.

It was intended as the highest of compliments, Publius, my friend.

Anyone should be pleased to be likened to an animal that is intelligent, strong, and magnificent!

#48 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

I would say Moore is like Edmund Burk's description of the English in his book, "Reflection on the Revolution in France," (1790) where he describes the English as cattle, and he meant it as a compliment. This is a critter that does not get excited about much, but apparently he never seen a stampede. Of course Burk is not taking into account that cows were first domesticated in the Near East. I could see Roger Moore with a blank look slowly chewing his cud. As for Lazenby, I see something of an orangutang, passably intelligent, and strong. I would say David Nivens is either more like a rabbit, as in timid, or a church mouse, who's also the director of a little mousy choir.

In a previous post, I was refering to the toy poodle, an annoying yapper, who serves no apparent purpose, other than to sport a puffy hairstyle. They always bare their teeth at you, and try to act more threatening than they actually are, creating a comical effect.

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 06 February 2006 - 05:41 PM.

#49 Marc-Ange

Marc-Ange

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

I think they cut the funding for the hairdressers, as they did for everything else for this movie it seems. That is a shame!

#50 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

In a previous post, I was refering to the toy poodle, an annoying yapper, who serves no apparent purpose, other than to sport a puffy hairstyle. They always bare their teeth at you, and try to act more threatening than they actually are, creating a comical effect.

Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this one, Stephen!

I have always owned toy poodles; my current one will be twelve years of age in three months' time. She, like her predecessors, barks so rarely, that, the odd time the event does occur, we look at each other in amazement and say, "The dog actually barked!"

If a dog barks, as when a baby cries, there is often a very good reason for it: it is hungry, thirsty, or neglected.

I know many children who are annoying little yappers; this is often the fault of their parents.

Regarding the dog's puffy hairstyle: as I wrote above, the poodle is wool, and must be sheared. If this is not done on a regular basis, the wool becomes tangled, and thus very difficult to comb. Not pleasant for the dog. Therefore, when the dog is sheared, tufts of hair are left in accordance with traditional specified styles. The dog is a beautiful and elegant creature, and because of the texture of its hair, these attractive and distinctive styles can be effected, which they could not with other dogs.

As to the dog's serving no apparent purpose: unless you live on a farm, when was the last time you actually saw a dog work? What work has your next-door neighbour's big sloppy Lab done lately? What purpose does it serve? It slobbers and sheds all over the house and messes up other people's lawns. Fabulous!

Have you ever seen the joy brought to an elderly shut-in at the sight and feel of a small dog? I often take my dog to visit at homes for the aged, on "Pet Visiting" days. For an elderly person living in an institution, the opportunity to hold a small, lovable, cuddling creature in her arms is a rare one, indeed -- and the smile it brings to her face warms one's heart for days.

The sight of a salivating, bouncing Lab would hardly evoke the same delight -- more likely, the response would be fear or revulsion.

I would say Moore is like Edmund Burk's description of the English in his book, "Reflection on the Revolution in France," (1790)

By the way . . . I believe you were making reference to Edmund Burke. :tup:

#51 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

Wait... Dalton has been in a film with Patrick Stewart? I always thought Dalton *was* Patrick Stewart with a Dracula wig!

Posted Image

ROFLMAO.

Pamela "then why don't you ask me?".

Dalton Bond "hold me wig luv and I'll give ya a smacker!". :tup:

#52 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

There's another interesting coincidence with Timothy Dalton and Dracula. Both have been compared to wolves. Although the book Dracula somewhat resembled Mark Twain, he had several wolvish traits even in his human form. He had pointed ears, long sharp fingernails, and hair growing from the palm of his hands. In the Hamiton Dean/John Balderston play, "Dracula, the Vampire Play," that Lugosi's movie was based on, they refer to the Count a couple of times as the werewolf. Timothy Dalton was the host of an episode of "In The Wild," about wolves. The episode opened with a close up of a wolf's face, than zeroed in on the wolf's eyes, then sequed into another pair of wolfish eyes, and pulled back to show Timothy Dalton. Later a wolf expert was trying to teach Dalton what a wolf's cry sounds like, and then Timothy Dalton pulls his head back and howls like a wolf, and one would swear it sounded authtentic.

Don't forget Dalton playing a werewolf in the tales of the cypt tv episode, he was bond and werewolf in one!!!

check the thread:

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=27062

I've done so many posts regarding Dalton's wolf like traits, remember he uses a wolf whistle in The Living Daylights as well.

I think he would of been perfect for the jack nicolson film Wolf, both looked like wolves, perhaps Dalton could of been the villian instead of James Spader who I like anyway,

As for the dracula look, yes he does look a bit like Christoper Lee, but I think Timothy looks more like a wolf then Dracula, in that order, his hairstyle, especially in Sanchez's office in LTK, "lovely view" was Dalton acting with glares, hiding his real anger towards Sanchez, you wonder when he's gonna reach boiling point, but he doesn't, he keeps his cool and enjoy's seeing Sanchez turn on his own men, which Bond tricks him into doing. LTK was wonderfully written for Dalton, at times you feel the Bond in TLD has woken up to show just how dangerous he can be, the most dangerous BOND EVER.

#53 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

Actually Christopher Lee's appearance as Dracula was based in large part on Lugosi. But he didn't have the Hungarian accent. There was no sense of hidden danger in him either, because it was all up front with the hissing, teeth baring and leaping about like a jock on speed. Most of which wasn't in the book either, except for only a couple of teeth baring scenes. Lee claimed in an interview I cannot cite to have been considered for the role of James Bond. He was certainly already famous as a Hammer actor by 1962. Maybe someone can fill us in on this interview. Lee made a disappointingly bland villain in "Man With The Golden Gun."

#54 krypt

krypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

I thought Dalton's slicked-back hair with sideburns was a perfect style for Bond's "rogue agent" look in LTK.

#55 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:18 AM

I never really thought of Dalton's hair as looking like Dracula.

It seemed like he went to the hairstylist and said, "give me the Eddie Munster"

Posted Image

#56 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Are you sure he didn't ask the hairstyler to give him a wolf-wolf?

#57 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

I thought Dalton's slicked-back hair with sideburns was a perfect style for Bond's "rogue agent" look in LTK.

Ex-actly; pre-cisely; couldn't have said it better!

(Not to mention a gorgeous look.)

#58 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

LOL! :tup:

#59 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

Posted Image

Actually, that looks a little more like Brosnan in his last three. :tup:

#60 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

Exactly.

One of the things LTK has over TLD is Dalton's hairstyle. Yes it's thinner, but it's very "roguish" throughout, even in the non-casino scenes where it's on the "wild" side. Not only is he not trying to hide the fact his hair isn't "what it used to be", but he doesn't even seem to care. Very cool, very Bond.