Dr. No sampling?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 October 2001 - 01:13 AM

As there is not a General Discussion forum in the Music Section, I've posted this here.

On my way to work this morning (yes, some of us have to work today :) ) I heard a song on the car radio that really drew my undivided attention.

The intro to this song was strikingly similar to the intro of Three Blind Mice, the opening credits song to DN.

I think it is called 'Wake Up', or Got To Wake Up", or "Gotta Wake Up". Unfortunately local Jakarta radio stations are notorious for not telling its audiences the names of songs or their artists.

I'm not saying it's new, but it's the first time I've heard it. The sample (?) can be heard sparingly throughout the song, and is more subtle than the Robbie Williams' Millennium sampling of YOLT.

Does anyone know about it?

If it is the case these guys must be Bond fans as Three Blind Mice wouldn't to in anyone's memory other than a fan's.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:04 PM

It's in my Audiogalxy queue now BC. It's behind 14 others so I should have it by the weekend or Monday.
I did a major download period at the weekend. I just left my computer on with my Audiogalaxy satellite running and downloaded over 30 tunes!
The queue can build tremendously.
BTW, have you got those Ten Masked Men tunes yet, or are they still in your queue behind the other 36 songs?!
Regards

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:28 AM

Tanger (11 Apr, 2002 07:04 p.m.):
It's in my Audiogalxy queue now BC. It's behind 14 others so I should have it by the weekend or Monday.
I did a major download period at the weekend. I just left my computer on with my Audiogalaxy satellite running and downloaded over 30 tunes!
The queue can build tremendously.
BTW, have you got those Ten Masked Men tunes yet, or are they still in your queue behind the other 36 songs?!
Regards

I do the same thing, Tanger. :)

I just leave my puter on all weekend so I can d/l songs. My list is down to 25 now, but because the TMN tunes were added last I'm assuming they are last in the queue.

I'm thinking of paying for AudioGalaxy Gold, as one of the functions lets you put the queued songs in your own order of download priority.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 10:34 PM

I can't say I have heard of it. But I would be interested to hear it!!

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 06:34 AM

Tanger (13 Apr, 2002 04:30 p.m.):
BC you're absolutely correct. That Flabby song does contain a smaple from the calypso version of Three Blind Mice used in Dr. No

I'm glad you can confirm my suspicions, Tanger. :)

Actually, the whole CD is quite good - it has a retro sort of feel.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 10:52 AM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've finally got my hands on the song!

It's by Flabby and it's called "Wake Up" and can be found on the CD called Modern Tunes For Everybody.

It can be downloaded from AudioGalaxy, so have a listen and see if you agree that Dr. No music has been sampled or not.

Sounds damn close if it isn't.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 03:30 PM

BC you're absolutely correct. That Flabby song does contain a smaple from the calypso version of Three Blind Mice used in Dr. No

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 07:10 AM

Has anyone had a chance to listen to this song yet?

I'm curious as to what others think of the possible Dr. No music sampling.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:10 PM

While on the subject of sampling old Bond movies I have just downloaded a song called Six Underground by the Sneaker Pimps based on a comment I saw in the "Musical notes" section on the Goldfinger page of The Bond Film Informant site.

It's in a similar vain to the DN sample in Wake Up.

Worth a listen and addition to your Bond related music library.