#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image

As we are currently reading You Only Live Twice in the Book Club... is this novel Ian Fleming's masterpiece? We certainly see it get praise fairly often along with others such as From Russia With Love and On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. What do you think?

#2 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:33 AM

Not one of my favorites, truthfully. Give me Moonraker or CR any day. Not like it's a bad novel, it's certainly well-written, it just didn't sit with me as well as some of his others. Although, re-reading it may change my mind...

#3 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:40 AM

Definitely Fleming's best. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is right up there with it but YOLT, in my opinion, packs a bit more of an emotional punch. It was the first bits of Fleming I ever read (I was never much for reading them in order unfortunately, and I had to stop fairly early in). YOLT's what got me though the monotony of recovering from an appendectomy, as well as other things, in 2003. So I guess I have some sentimental value attached to this one.

Five Stars!

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:13 PM

Bumping this up.

#5 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:38 AM

Apologies as I am not a member of the book reding club, but my thoughts are detailed in another (very similar) topic in the Ian Fleming forum. This is what I said then:

Perhaps one of Ian Fleming's strengths was that he never repeated himself. The Bond series ranges wildly from the 'down-to-earth' (if one will pardon the term) MOONRAKER to the truly fantastical YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. From the conventional to the adventurous. It is the breadth of styles, characters and structures that the Bond series encompasses that makes it truly remarkable, and yet throughout the protagonist remains very much the same character; despite his gradual descent into the turmoil which Fleming inflicts upon him in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

Risky, bold and imaginitive is YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. The novel is the most important of the Bond series; moreso, perhaps, even than ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. It represents the depth of the downward spiral that Bond goes through from the beginning, to the point that in the second chapter Bond is in the grip of abject depression. We see Bond at his most interesting, and Fleming seems to have thoroughly enjoyed putting his character through the grinder. We have a vulnerable Bond throughout; at first due to the loss of his wife as a result of his previous mission and then at being a gaijin in a society he does not understand. It is not a vulnerability in the feminine sense but an uncertainty about his life, his work and, indeed, his abilities.

The other characters are amongst Fleming's best drawn. Dikko Henderson, the brash Australian, has a good claim to be one of Bond's best allies. Tiger Tanaka, whom Fleming uses as an example of and statement on Japanese society, gives the piece some added depth. And Kissy Suzuki, who does not appear until around half way through the book, nevertheless makes an indelible impression. As so often in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, part of her strength is simply that she is so interesting and unconventional; and her actions at the end of the novel suggest that she is more than capable of getting what she wants.

Fleming drenches the entire piece in a sumptuous atmosphere, partcularly through the use of the Japanese locale. One really gets a sense that Fleming was enthused while writing YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, so richly and vividly does he infuse the novel with Japanese culture and character. It is almost as if Fleming was aware of the bizarre nature of what he was writing and really pushed the envelope. The Garden of Death. Toad sweat. The geyser in the Question Room. Yes, by the final page events take a most wonderfully weird and warped turn that the novel could certainly be described as Fleming's most interesting and daring.

Indeed, by delaying the revelation that Doctor Shatterhand - the collector of death - is in fact Blofeld and his ugly wife Irma Bunt and the resulting action until the final third of the book Fleming ensures that as well as in terms of ideas his structure is similarly daring and, ergo, engaging. So meticulous is the plotting and build-up that the reader is gripped from page one, while being absorbed by the atmosphere Fleming evokes and the prose that ensures YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE is a classic in any sense of the term. His writing is truly magnificent, and what some other commentators have described as the 'Fleming sweep' is discernable throughout the passages. There are times when he is quite simply poetic with a use of words that will draw awe even in the most pretentious of readers.

So; is YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE Fleming's best? In the view of the author of this piece of slavish fanboy rambling masquerading as some sort of review, yes. It has much to recommend it: Fleming's undeniable sadism, its ludicrousness, the lyrical beauty of much of Fleming

Edited by Lazenby880, 30 December 2005 - 03:39 AM.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:54 AM

I can certainly add you to the club, if you wish, Laz. :tup:

#7 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

I can certainly add you to the club, if you wish, Laz. :tup:

View Post

Go on then. :D I assume that we are on YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE at the moment, after which it will be THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN? If so, I will give Fleming's undoubted best another quick read so as to have a proper discussion over it.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

Yep! After You Only Live Twice it'll be The Man With The Golden Gun.

We're currently reading You Only Live Twice (but will be moving onto the next book on February 15th)), which you can review here: http://debrief.comma...showtopic=27638

Or you can review any of the previous books we've read by clicking on their titles here and then adding in your reviews: http://debrief.comma...showtopic=26772