18 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 02:22 AM

I've just downloaded the remix of the OHMSS theme by The Propellorheads and I've gotta say I love it. :)

It has the techno beat of Moby's remix of the 007 theme yet seamlessly interlaces it with the original John Barry OHMSS theme. It's a great "pick-me-up" song. :)

I'd like to know more about it. Who are the Propellorheads? Was David Arnold involved? About halfway through the song, there is an interlude that sounds very Arnold-esque. I believe I've heard somewhere that Arnold teamed up with the Propellorheads as a project, but I could be mistaken.

#2 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 07:11 PM

yeah in the UK a single has to be no more than 21 mins. Bloody stupid.

#3 Renard

Renard

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 09:10 PM

I love the Propellerheads too. Since I bought their first Album in 1997, I've became a huge fan of their style, rythmn and sound of music! It's really awesome! I don't know any other group who could beat them!

Can't wait to here upcoming awesome stylish tracks.... Propellerheads is my favourtite group of all rythmic sounds and "music arts"....

So that's the reason I 've tried to start a campain for using the Propellerheads for Bond 20 involved David Arnold as well!!!

That would be really FANtastic!!!!!

#4 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 10:32 PM

I'll support you 100% of the way, Renard! If only we could drop a hint through EON's door? Hmmm....we gotta let David Arnold know! :)

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 10:54 PM

Dunphboy007 (20 Feb, 2002 10:32 p.m.):
I'll support you 100% of the way, Renard! If only we could drop a hint through EON's door? Hmmm....we gotta let David Arnold know! :)

Maybe one of us could send him a letter. Here's his postal address:-

David Arnold
C/O VANGELOS MANAGEMENT
16030 Ventura Blvd #235
Encino, CA 91436-2780

The mail goes straight to his agents. I don't know how long it would be before he got them though. They might think it's unimportant.
Do you think it's worth giving it a shot?

#6 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 10:27 AM

I heard the mix in 2000 i think...
When did it come out?

#7 Renard

Renard

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 06:52 PM

We have just to try it!!! Thanks to Dunphboy007 and Tanger007 for your support!!!! :)

We hav to take this chance and do it!!!!!

But who will write the letter or email?

I am not English... so it should write some others.... :) Who is going to help me by writing a letter to David Arnold...?

btw thanks to Tanger007 for David's postal address!!!

#8 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 06:42 PM

The mix was released in 1997, Trevelyan, a few months before the release of Tomorrow Never Dies.

That's bloody stupid, being located in England, being English and having agents in California!! Ah well, I suppose it's because he's such a big name! :)

I don't mind helping to write the letter, just gotta get this mix of FRWL off, then I should be able to start it after next wednesday (I've got an audition/interview at an acting university; Bretton Hall, on wed...I'm so nervous! ARGH!)

How's about that? We gotta get the message across to David Arnold! :)

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 11:07 PM

Dunphboy007 (22 Feb, 2002 06:49 p.m.):
That's bloody stupid, being located in England, being English and having agents in California!! Ah well, I suppose it's because he's such a big name! :)

I don't mind helping to write the letter, I should be able to start it after next wednesday (I've got an audition/interview at an acting university; Bretton Hall,  on wed...I'm so nervous! ARGH!)

How's about that? We gotta get the message across to David Arnold! :)

Good luck Dunphboy. I hope your letter will help to persuade him to use the OO7 theme. Good luck with your uni interview aswell! I'm sure you'll get in! :-)

#10 melv

melv

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 05:49 PM

If you think you might here the Propellerheads in the next bond flick then they may already have defected . . . you might have noticed another one of their tracks 'Crash' (a remix for the BBC of the music used behind the Top40 singles countdown on radio1) used in a fight scene between Mini Me and Austin Powers (I think) in the Austin Powers sequel. The track was originally intended as a single in the UK but had to be released as an EP instead (apparently there are laws on how long a single can be. In this case, due to the number of tracks on the CD. Crazy.).

#11 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 23 February 2002 - 03:13 PM

Cheers, Tanger! i'll get the letter off asap, and thanks for your encouragement regarding the uni aswell, it's more of an audition though; gotta stand up and make a tit of myself in front of a panel of judges! I'm scared!

#12 melv

melv

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 10:42 AM

The track was made with the Propellerheads for David Arnold's Shaken and Stirred James Bond Project, but also appears on the Props' Decksanddrumsandrockandroll album. The orchestral portions were rearranged especially for the track by Arnold, and there is a portion of Barry's 'Space March' theme from FYEO (though I've probably got that totally wrong - anyone?) in the middle. The track debued in the British charts at no. 7, I think, but didn't get any higher.

At the same time, Arnold worked with the Propellerheads on the score for TND, the result being the track 'Backseat Driver'.

#13 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:24 PM

Glad its not just me who's excited about the props return. They are awesome, Velvet Pants is one of my all time fav songs.

#14 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 07:09 PM

Hmm...I'm probably replying a bit too late, but Propellerheads are Alex Gifford and Will White, two breakbeat/hip-hop/dance (you can't really pigeon-hole them) people from the Roman's favourite party town of Bath.

David Arnold heard their magnificent futuristic spy-theme "Spybreak" (found primarily on The Matrix soundtrack), and decided to give them a whirl with helping him contemporarise OHMSS.

The full version of OHMSS (not the radio edit), which is a hefty 9:52 in length, does indeed completely change pace halfway through, and Barry's Space March, which Leftfield remastered in the Shaken And Stirred album, can be heard building up to a climax, before changing back into a funked up version of OHMSS in a different key.

I am a major Props fan, and I have been disappointed with their 'quietness' of late (after Will White had an operation late '98, no singles have been released since featuring 'Propellerheads' as a group), but supposedly they are releasing a second album in March, which is excellent news after their ASTOUNDING debut album "Decksandrumsandrockandroll" which was released in early '98.

Only Gifford collaborated with Arnold on the amazing action cue "Backseat Driver" heard in Tomorrow Never Dies, but the version in the film is markedly different to the version heard in the soundtrack, the ending features the 'James Bond fanfare' for instance.

Any other questions? Just ask. :)

Cheers,

Paul

#15 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:32 PM

I LOVE THE PROPS! They should be back for Bond 20... it's been too long since we last saw the Props not only in Bond but generally. I love Velvet pants and I think they fit in with Arnold's vision of modern Bond music. Bring them back for Bond 20!!

#16 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 12:15 AM

I love their OHMSS mix. It's great to listen to at the end of the day and you can wind right down. I love the way it slowly segues into the space march music and then drifts back to the techno beat.
I love Backseat Driver aswell.
One other of their tracks I think is excellent, is "History Repeating", the collaboration they did with Shirley Bassey. It really is something. i like the fact that they used it for Graham Norton's theme and left out the words, because it adds to the Props scope and makes them appeal to a wider audience. fans will know the track as "History Repeating", whilst telly addicts will know it as the "SO Graham Norton theme". It just goes to show the verstility and greatness of these guys.

ACE!!!!!!!!

#17 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 12:45 PM

Glad to see we got a few Props fans here! Excellent! Chances are you've heard a Propellerheads tune, but hacen't realised that what you were listening to were Gifford and White. Have you lot heard Spybreak! (Matrix - Lobby scene)? Excellent techno-espionnage.

I'm on a manhunt for all of their singles, and I am well on my way to completeing the lot of them, some of their rarer tracks are awesome too, like Props got Skills (Will White performing human beatbox while Alex scratches), Dive! (Used in an Adidas campaign, found on special Japanese edition of Decksandrums...) and You Want It Back feat. The Jungle Brothers.

Can't wait for their new album in March! Supposedly feature loadsa collaborations with other artists. Also check out The Jungle Brothers Album V.I.P., which Alex produced.

www.dreamworksrec.com/propellerheads

www.wallofsound.net

Some sites that haven't been updated in an age, but good fun all the same.

Til next time 8)

#18 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 08:16 PM

hi
i am too a fan of the prop ! i love their music.
it s good news they will made a new album for march.

Since there first album the did one or two single which are good. i love the track called "crash" (you can find them on audiogalaxy.com

They also did a nice remix of the goldfinger song that you can find on "the shirley bassey remix"

I can send it to yoiu if you want.

About OHMSS, on the single there was an orchapella track of this remix which is very good too. (it s on audiogalaxy too).

#19 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 02:58 AM

Barry's "Space March" is heard in YOLT, not FYEO. I'm glad I'm not the only one who mixes those two titles up!