49 replies to this topic

#31 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

Not a fan of this one. Cliched nonsense that all seems a bit BUGS and 1998 for my liking.

#32 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

Well -

Spoiler

#33 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

I've never really been disappointed with the show so when I say it was a fantastic episode, my opinion doesn't hold much weight. However terminus...
Spoiler

#34 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Chief -

Spoiler

#35 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

terminus, may have found our answer in a synopsis I came across for episode 8. I'll just post a small section so not to give away too much...
Spoiler

#36 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Oooooooh.

I say again -

Oooooooh.

Spoiler

#37 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Anyone just catch that pretty awesome finale?

#38 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

watch your step. :o

#39 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

watch your step. :o

Big Series 10 reveal is that it was all an accident.

#40 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Anyone just catch that pretty awesome finale?

It was the episode that they should have been making all season - with the exception of the premiere which was excellent.

Beth and Dimitri were decent concepts, but Dimitri didn't get much to do (a blessed relief after them giving the junior members too much screentime in the past few seasons) and they wasted the potential of Beth by not utilising (or even referring to) her background in corporate security after her second episode.

With our new lead coming in, I'd expect to see Harry back in the driving seat (even if they do make a red herring to mislead us by having Harry's replacement in the premiere) and Beth leaving at the midpoint of the next season. A new female lead, played by someone like Sophie Okonedo (she was in Doctor Who, so maybe she'd do Spooks, and she's done other BBC shows recently too), designed specifically to match up with Alec.

And a decent season arc - none of this 'Lucas/John' guffins.

#41 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:26 AM

Harry really can't go. I understand the show does an amazing job with cast turn over but he is truly the one constant the show needs. Another point of contention was that I thought Alec White was mediocre at best. His switch from alcoholic to insightful field agent confused me and I struggle to see him as a team leader the way Adam or Tom were. (I never saw Lucas as standout. More cohesive to the team). Good swan song for Lucas though. I was happy they integrated clips from his overall journey and the torment his soul had from a variety of events. He truly was a flawed soul who wanted to believe he could redeem himself by being a hero.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 10 November 2010 - 02:27 AM.

#42 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

I think the big problem was that this was clearly Lucas' episode still - even with the presumed introduction of our new lead. Alec had no real storythread running through to bring him to the fore, except the fact that he's more of a thinker than a man of action, which contrasts to the action-men that we've had in Lucas and Adam. Character-wise he seems closer to Tom - who did more thinking before leaping into the fray.

Anyway - I think part of the problem is that, although Lucas was short changed in his first episode, we had an episode immediately after on BBC3 or the following week on BBC1 with which to get to know him. However, with Alec, we've got a whole year before we get our proper introductory episode - so it will be interesting to see how they do the season premiere as his reintroduction.

#43 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

The End is Nigh

September 18th

#44 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

Goodbye, you WILL be miss. What a sad nite. :(

#45 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Unfortunately over here in the States I'm going to have to wait until it's up on Netflix at least. Was this series any good?

#46 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Unfortunately over here in the States I'm going to have to wait until it's up on Netflix at least. Was this series any good?

The small arc kept it tight and tense. So much of Spooks the last few years, although it was head and shoulders above almost all television dramas, became cliched by the who-will-die-this-season mentality, and all the double/triple/quadruple agents that made you think you were reading a Bond novel by Gardner...

All that aside, the last five minutes of this episode closes the beginning of the arc from Season One so well, and so strongly, that I was stunned for a few seconds before I started clapping. I refuse to spoil it any further than to say it fulfilled many a fanboy's wishes, including this one's. Chilling, thrilling, and left me with a smile :) .

Kudos to everyone involved in the production, and thank you.

God, what an ending.

#47 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

The advantage of going into this series knowing it would be their last meant the producers were able to keep this series (sadly only six episodes) tight, focused and somewhat more intimate. The ending was everything it should have been with a lovely nod to the past and a final 'negative image' fade that was just about pitch perfect.

And big congratulations to both Peter Firth & Nicola Walker (Harry & Ruth) who in typical British fashion played their repressed passion to perfection.

#48 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

Just spend an evening with a bottle of red and the whole series 10. Many tears for Ruth. :(

#49 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

And many smiles for Tom Quin if I may add! Really sad that the series ended though. A real gem it was.

#50 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

And many smiles for Tom Quin if I may add! Really sad that the series ended though. A real gem it was.

Indeed, Aris007. :tup: