97 replies to this topic

#31 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

I can't wait to see the cover art as well. There are so many Bond books to get in these upcoming months! :)

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

At long last, here's the COVER ART.

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

Cool, I'm looking forward to buying that :)

#34 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

Cover looks great. I've pre-ordered and can;t wait to read it.

#35 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

Not bad looking. :)

I cannot wait to read it.

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:31 PM

Nice cover. Nice title. 'course, Flemmmming would be rolling in his grave at the description of Moneypenny as "James Bond's right hand woman", but then I guess "M's secretary" wouldn't be quite as commercial. :) Curious that Joanna Lumley should have read the book so far ahead of publication.

#37 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

The quote from Ms Lumley is part of a series of quotes that appear on the back of the paperback edition of The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel. There are four in total (including Sir Roger Moore!).

#38 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

I love the cover art.

#39 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

' date='5 September 2006 - 03:56' post='600368']
The quote from Ms Lumley is part of a series of quotes that appear on the back of the paperback edition of The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel. There are four in total (including Sir Roger Moore!).

Ah yes! Thanks, Matt. I was wondering where I had seen those before.

#40 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

Nice looking cover. :)

But what I want to know is when will The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel be released in the U.S? It's been almost a year and we still don't have it on this side of the pond. :P Unbelievable.

#41 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

Good question, Double-Oh Agent. Unfortunetly, we don't yet know the answer. But the fact that these are, so far, UK only releases I think will make them very collectible. The Young Bond series seems to be getting all the attention from collectors at the moment, but I think a 1st edition of Guardian Angel is going to be the harder book to find in the future (heck, it already is).

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

Good question, Double-Oh Agent. Unfortunetly, we don't yet know the answer. But the fact that these are, so far, UK only releases I think will make them very collectible. The Young Bond series seems to be getting all the attention from collectors at the moment, but I think a 1st edition of Guardian Angel is going to be the harder book to find in the future (heck, it already is).

Glad I've got a signed copy then. :)

For those that don't yet, keep watching eBay.

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hmmm...this is odd. The listing on Amazon has just gone haywire. It now says "we are currently unable to offer this title" and the release date has been removed. Just an Amazon glitch, or somethimg more? :)

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

I'm getting the "Limited availability" notice. :)

#45 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

My copy has just shipped from Waterstones. Hope it arrives tomorrow!

Am currently re-reading Guardian Angel. Anyone who's not read it, really ought to. In some ways, this is the closest we've had to Fleming's Bond. The book is very well-researched and fleshes out Miss Moneypenny's character more than adequately. Can't wait til Secret Servant arrives.

Also ordered a copy of Stella Rimington's second novel, Secret Asset. The first entry, At Risk, was a great spy read. Well worth looking into!

#46 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

In some ways, this is the closest we've had to Fleming's Bond.

More so, I suspect, than BLOODFEVER, the other new Bond novel I've yet to read.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of THE MONEYPENNY DIARIES: GUARDIAN ANGEL here on CBn (discussion of its content, I mean, rather than of when and where this or that edition will be available). I mean, it's a new addition to "the canon", surely, and the first "adult" Bond continuation novel (more or less) since THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO.

Okay, okay, so I haven't read it (but I definitely will), so I'm a fine one to talk, but, still....

Nice to read your opinions, [dark]. :)

#47 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, Loomis. You definitely should give Blood Fever a go. It's a rollicking read, and beats SilverFin hands-down.

I, too, am disappointed by the lack of discussion - or, I fear, awareness - of The Moneypenny Diaries trilogy. I mean, Bond in Fleming's time! That, in itself, is quite huge! Again, what strikes me reading it a second time is the research that has gone into the book.

Sure, there is a sort of What's the point? about the book (trust me, it subsides as Dr Westbrook tosses in a whole stack of concurrent plotlines that build to quite a nifty cliffhanger), but this, like Charlie Higson's series, is clearly not a cheap cash-in. An obvious amount of care and consideration has been put into this book (even if some of the metafictional aspects grate against some fans).

I honestly feel we're being spoilt with two new Bond books per year. Sure, they're not Bond books in the truest sense, but they're still damn fine reads!

#48 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:23 PM

Oh, I'll definitely be reading BLOODFEVER at some stage. Bought it a while ago, along with GUARDIAN ANGEL, and it definitely wasn't for the purpose of propping up a wonky tableleg. :) But I'm currently re-reading all the Bond novels I own, in publication order, and since I'm only on THUNDERBALL it'll probably be some time before I get to "the new stuff". But get to it I will. :P

#49 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

In some ways, this is the closest we've had to Fleming's Bond.

More so, I suspect, than BLOODFEVER, the other new Bond novel I've yet to read.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of THE MONEYPENNY DIARIES: GUARDIAN ANGEL here on CBn (discussion of its content, I mean, rather than of when and where this or that edition will be available). I mean, it's a new addition to "the canon", surely, and the first "adult" Bond continuation novel (more or less) since THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO.

Okay, okay, so I haven't read it (but I definitely will), so I'm a fine one to talk, but, still....

Nice to read your opinions, [dark]. [censored]

I can't speak for other people, but in my case, I was waiting to read The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel for when it came out in the U.S. and save on buying the book twice. Unfortunately, here it's been a year and still no novel--not even a blip on the horizon. :) It was only a couple of weeks ago that I finally broke down and ordered it from Britain. (I suppose because the second one in the series--Secret Servant: The Moneypenny Diaries--is being released next month and I don't want to get too far behind.)

But as you mentioned, it is odd that Guardian Angel hasn't been mentioned more on CBn, but maybe there were more people like me who were waiting for it to be released on this side of the pond.

Now, I'd like to know if Samantha Weinberg's short story For Your Eyes Only, James will be released in a magazine in the U.S. I'm having a devil of a time finding Tatler over here. :) :P :P

#50 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

Now, I'd like to know if Samantha Weinberg's short story For Your Eyes Only, James will be released in a magazine in the U.S. I'm having a devil of a time finding Tatler over here. :P :P :)

Borders and Barnes & Noble seem to carry the magazine. I'm just waiting for the November issue with that short story included to arrive.

#51 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

Now, I'd like to know if Samantha Weinberg's short story For Your Eyes Only, James will be released in a magazine in the U.S. I'm having a devil of a time finding Tatler over here. :P :P :)

Borders and Barnes & Noble seem to carry the magazine. I'm just waiting for the November issue with that short story included to arrive.

Well, I've checked with two Borders stores and neither one have or carry Tatler at all. And the two Barnes & Noble stores I've checked claim to have had Tatler in the past (September) but don't have it currently on the shelves. Hopefully, at least one will have November's Tatler for me.

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:42 AM

Odd. Perhaps you could call them to see if they know if it will be shipped in or not.

#53 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

My copy arrived on Friday.

Am currently finishing off Guardian Angel, but a few aesthetic points.

The book has been retitled in line with the first entry, so that it's now named The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant (this is reflected in the placement of the titles on the cover art). The back cover features "Praise for Kate Westbrook's Guardian Angel", listing the quotes that appear on the back of the paperback edition of the first book. The "edited by" tag has also been dropped. The "About the author" section also mentions that the name is a pseudonym for Samantha Weinberg, "frustrated spy".

The book is also, as hinted by Ms Weinberg, not told as a continuous 12-month period, like Guardian Angel.

#54 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

' date='30 October 2006 - 04:43' post='636127']
The book has been retitled in line with the first entry, so that it's now named The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant (this is reflected in the placement of the titles on the cover art).

:) A very minor, nitpicky thing, but one I'm happy about.

I've just ordered mine. :P

#55 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

The book has been retitled in line with the first entry, so that it's now named The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant (this is reflected in the placement of the titles on the cover art).

I find that good news too. It makes sense to make the titles similar. I've already ordered mine as well.

#56 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:55 AM

I find that good news too. It makes sense to make the titles similar.

Indeed. Something only a Bond fan would be bothered by most likely when it comes to these books. :P

#57 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

Today I checked with a third Borders and a third Barnes & Noble store about Tatler magazine and am pleased to say that I finally have some hope. The Borders store had the October issue of Tatler on the shelf while the Barnes & Noble store said they would be getting the November issue on Friday! :P So, hopefully, I'll snag myself a copy then. :)

#58 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

Today I checked with a third Borders and a third Barnes & Noble store about Tatler magazine and am pleased to say that I finally have some hope. The Borders store had the October issue of Tatler on the shelf while the Barnes & Noble store said they would be getting the November issue on Friday! :P So, hopefully, I'll snag myself a copy then. :)

:P

I was at mine yesterday to pick up a special ordered book annd checked again (they still only had the October issue.) Hopefully soon.

#59 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:03 AM

My copy of Secret Servant: The Moneypenny Diaries just arrived. No clue when I'll be able to start it. :)

#60 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:06 AM

Got mine Wednesday. Started it last night. It's great. She's got to do more than three she planned on. It's such fun to read fresh stories about characters that feel like such old friends (Tanner, M, Goodnight, etc.).

Edited by Pam Bouvier, 05 November 2006 - 03:41 PM.