Photo

The coolest gunbarrel?

43 replies to this topic

#1 001

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 08:51 PM

Wich gunbarrel do you like most? I think every gunbarrel got an own style, but FYEO and Bronsnans gunbarrel

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:28 PM

Blue Eyes (03 Oct, 2001 12:14 a.m.):
Extremely late! I knew that OHMSS and DAF all feature the suit 'hatted' Bond. I knew by the time of TSWLM featured the tux but I couldn't recally LALD for the life of me. So I just went with the first Moore film.

It was a good educated guess. Most people correctly associate Moore with the tux/gunbarrel and the first Bond to be sans hat, but many don't realize until they see it that Moore is in a suit in the L&LD and TMWTGG openers.

#3 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 January 2002 - 12:58 AM

I think for sheer Gun Barrel-goodness, it'd be TWINE, but for what follows the GB, I'd say GE... fits the scene so well.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 12:05 AM

You're such a wealth of knowledge Zencat! I guess from now on anyone who reads this won't be able to help but notice that Bond isn't in his tux!

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 01:40 PM

I never knew that! Thanks Zencat.

#6 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 January 2002 - 12:26 AM

GoldenEye definietly.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 08:45 AM

I'll do it easy, I'll just pick five of my favorites(out of the five Bonds, respectively).

Connery: ThunderBall( The first one Connery did, and the music is arranged great).

Moore: FYEO(gotta love that disco theme)

Dalton: LTK( as someone mentioned, it sounds epic-y)

Brosnan: TWINE( while I would like to hear the gun barrel return to its classic Barry-esque sound, this is the most classy of the Brosnan Bonds).

#8 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 06:51 PM

The best barrels are definitely:
1. FYEO
2. TWINE
3. GE

primarily b/c they have unique sounds, and the newer ones are more sleek, which I think makes the barrel look better; Connery's barrels are a bit awkward

#9 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 09:37 AM

Sean : Tunderball

Moore: FYEO

Dalton: LTK

Pierce: GE

Perfect Gunbarrel: Just keep along the brosnan ones. Perfect! I love what D Arnold is doing with the themes. His best TWINE, i like the new approach, while still keeping the classic tune.

#10 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 08:14 PM

I agree with White Persian... Bond is getting a little too close to the screen for my liking too.

I don't have I wide screen TV but I bought the widescreen TWINE (I just like to watch a film with bands at the top and bottom! Makes me feel like I'm in a cinema!!) and he's about the right size in those proportions!!

I bet you that they put a good bit of twanging guitar back on the gunbarrel for Bond 20. Well I hope so anyway... it would make a change to the last 3 gun barrels.

#11 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 02:53 AM

I also like LTK b/c it sounds very epic-y...

#12 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 03:02 PM

The thing i hate about the Moore/Dalton gun barrels is that that are so 70/80's dated. Flared trousers, big bow tie and wide collars. It seems to me that at least in the Connery, Lazenby and Brosnan barrels he is suited and booted in more traditional way. Err except for the Hat!

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 04:08 PM

Though the Bob Simmons Gunbarrel has always had a special place in my heart, I've always thought the Lazenby gunbarrel was the classic, the way he dropped to one knee. And I kind of miss the hat.

image from The Art Of James Bond. Thanks for finding the site again Eyes and thanks for existing Grant. (more info.)

#14 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 January 2002 - 02:56 PM

The one from Octopussy. The best GunBarrel music form John Barry, combined with the refitted Gun Barrel from TSWLM. BETTER THAN BEST

#15 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 04:24 PM

Just a thought, it might be cool to add a silencer to bond's gun with the silencer sound effect. Instead of one shot add another as he walks towards the gunbarrel. May be apt with the world's present problems.

#16 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 12:44 AM

How would people feel if Brosnan/Bond wore, say, a white tropical suit or a three piece suit instead of the black tie and dinner jacket in the gunbarrel sequence?
I think it'd make a nice variation.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 06:53 PM

Now I better check and make sure I'm right!

#18 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:08 PM

My ideal and favorite gun barrel:

- Pierce Brosnan must look a little bit smaller on the gun barrel.

- He must not stand up too straight because bending a little bit, like Dalton and Moore, looks more natural.

- I like the reflections of the Brosnan gun barrel! Just keep it like that!

- The background of the gun barrel, where Bond is walking, should not be totally white.

- The music must be just like TLD-gun barrel, but with some techno elements. No offence, but I don't like the start of the Monty Norman theme of the gun barrel in TSWLM, TND and TWINE.

My most favorite gun barrel right now, is the one showed in Diamonds Are Forever. Very very strong music from Barry, and we see for the first time some reflections! So, the GoldenEye-gun barrel is not TOO original.

The worst gun barrel: GOLDENEYE, but that's because of the music.

Most original gun barrel: OHMSS. The music is typical Barry, but only for George Lazenby!

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 09:19 PM

I gotta go with the GOLDENEYE gunbarrel as the best.

#20 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 09:25 PM

Me too, Zencat

#21 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 10:11 PM

Cool subject... one of the most roiginal on the board. Well done 001!

Am a big fan of the Brosnan one... do have to say that it is TND for me. The music makes it and I don't like the music on GE's barrel too much. I think we should go back to some proper guitar twanging for the next barrel please!

#22 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 10:37 PM

funny that, TND's my least favourite brosnan gun barrel

#23 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 12:35 AM

For me, my favourite Brosnon is the one from TWINE.

#24 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 12:44 AM

hi great idea 001.

Personnaly i like the one from the spy who loved me, because it have a great music except at the end, but i think it sone of the best.

If you want i have all the gunbarrel from every bond movie. We can post it on the Music section Blue eyes ?

tell me if you want i send it to you

#25 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 01:04 AM

Mmmmm.....hard one. For me it's a tossup between GE and TWINE. GE is almost completly away from the originals, with new sounds that make you bop up and down in your seat.

TWINE, is more original but still has a few different sounds in there, but still 'bondish', and gives it a modern feel.

#26 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 05:35 AM

I'd personally have to go with GE I think. I love all of the Brosnan era but GE would have to take it.

Why? Because we sit down and for the first time it looks like a real gun barrel with the light shimmering around the tube. I was in awe when I saw it!

#27 Renard

Renard

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 09:53 AM

I have to agree with 001 every gunbarrel has its own style and atmosphere to introduce what we have to expect from this Bond adventure!

I adore all gunbarrels!

Without them, it won 't be a bond film!

#28 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 10:59 PM

My favourite gun-barrel has to be Goldfinger. The music here is powerful and jazzy and I like the way Bob Simmons (playing Bond - as in DN + FRWL) jumps to turn and fire.
Has anyone noticed that the first circles/dots (moving) seem to be higher up than in the previous films, almost touching the top of the screen?

Also, in TMWTGG why are the circles blue?!
Did Maurice Binder feel that he needed to give the device a further leese of life?

I like the shadows that can be seen in many of the gunbarrels, particularly Connery's. They add to the background and stop it from being so plain (as with Brosnan). I heard that they are planning to reshoot the sequence for Bond20 so that he appears further away and makes a more natural walk. This could also possibly mark the return of the famous gunbarrel tune (ie. FRWL-TLD). Lets hope that this makes a spectacular opening for what looks to be a spectacular film.

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 04:33 PM

I recently saw the infamous bootleg version of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. For those who don't know what this is, shortly before the movie was released a copy of the work-print got out and was circulated on vhs. Eon even made special posters warning people away from watching this version, as it would not represent the finished movie.

Anyway, one of the (many) things that were different was the gunbarrel. The graphic was the same, but Dalton's walk, turn, and shoot was completely different! I must say, Dalton's gunbarrel posture was never the best, but it was even worse in this early version. He almost leaps right out of the side of the barrel.

#30 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 05 January 2002 - 01:19 AM

My favourite gunbarrel would be For Your Eyes Only, followed by Licence To Kill. I like the way the Bond theme is played in these ones.