• 11680 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:34 AM

Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins)
Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity)
Tony Scott (Spy Game, Man On Fire)
Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy)
Brett Ratner (Rush Hour 1 & 2, X-Men 3)

one of these, and I'll be happy.

With the exception of Ratner, I would have to agree with this list of potential directors.

My list would include:

Michael Mann: he's never made a bad film, and every one of his films has a great deal of visual flair and style, and would fit in to the Bond franchise very well.

Sydney Pollack: crafted a great thriller in The Interpreter and would certainly bring something new to the franchise.

Paul Greengrass: I would only be weary of him taking on a Bond film because of his connection with Bourne and the idea that EON would go after him just to copy the Bourne films. But, he would probably turn in a very good entry in the franchise.

Jonathan Demme: his films The Silence of the Lambs and The Manchurian Candidate were both fantastic, and he is very good at getting good performances from actors. Would be fantastic for a smaller scale Bond film that focuses more on character than all-out action.

And, someone that they should seriously consider bringing in to perform the duties of re-writing the script for a future Bond film would have to be writer/director Steven Zaillian. His writing credits include screenplays for ALL THE KING'S MEN (the new version, which he also directs), THE INTERPRETER, GANGS OF NEW YORK, HANNIBAL, A CIVIL ACTION (which he also directed), CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, and SCHINDLER'S LIST. He also worked on the story for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. And, if ALL THE KING'S MEN turns out to be as good as it looks, I would also add him to my list of potential Bond directors as well.

#62 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

I think that you can or should cross any 'huge name' (probably even big name) directors off the list, Bond has never really had them, and I think the survival of the franchise owes something to that. If Hitchcock had directed Bond, yes they'd have been great but I sincerely doubt we'd still have them coming out now. John Woo would be shocking in my opinion, Tamahori should not be trusted, he is the one who asked P & W to re-write the Ice Palace scenes from dialogue to action, and I have read that the original DAD script was of a greater quality then the final product.

#63 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

Tamahori should not be trusted, he is the one who asked P & W to re-write the Ice Palace scenes from dialogue to action,

Can you elaborate? You piqued my curiosity.

and I have read that the original DAD script was of a greater quality then the final product.

I recall hearing that the finale was to take place in a beach fortress of Moons, and involve Bond and Jinx and a bunch of American soldiers storming it.

#64 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:25 AM

I have no wishlist for directors. I do agree with Ouroboros and Harmsway that Spottiswoode was probably the best of the Brosnan era directors, but from what I've heard, it was a troubled shoot, rife with tension, so that seems unlikely. I liked his sense of scale, Apted and Tamahori and their DPs weren't able to pull that off. TND, to me, felt more like a Bond film, in look & scale and in how the villain is omnipresent and seemingly invulnerable, usually shown through his vast empire and minions.

Dave

#65 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

Tamahori should not be trusted, he is the one who asked P & W to re-write the Ice Palace scenes from dialogue to action,

Can you elaborate? You piqued my curiosity.

That is about all I have really gathered from commentaries etc. And from watching that huge special feature on the first disk of the dvd it gets pretty clear that Tamahori had to do with some of the absurdity of the fencing scene.

#66 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

Michael Winterbottom

#67 Diabolik

Diabolik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

Has there every been a non-British Bond director?????

Regardless, even though there's not a chance in hell, I'd love to see James Foley. Most recently he directed the magnificent con artist thriller, "Confidence" with Ed Burns, Rachael Wiesz, Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia and Paul Giamatti. He also did "At Close Range" with Sean Penn and Christopher Walkens.

#68 Diabolik

Diabolik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:02 PM

I think that you can or should cross any 'huge name' (probably even big name) directors off the list, Bond has never really had them, and I think the survival of the franchise owes something to that.

Although I'd love for Eon to start using "A-list" directors who are know for their unique visual style and let each put their own "stamp" on the Bond film they directed.

It would be fun to have each film to have it's own look and style.