This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Rate/Review: 'James Bond: From Russia With Love'

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate 'James Bond 007: From Russia With Love' (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate 'James Bond 007: From Russia With Love'

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

Scale of 1 - 5. What do you think of the game so far? Or have you beaten it already (there's always a few who have :))?

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

Too busy playing to comment? :)

#3 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:01 AM

Myself and everyone I've shown it to agree it's easily the best Bond game since Goldeneye. Wonderful multiplayer, an intense and addictive single player mode, great voice acting on everyone's part...man oh man, I LOVE FRWL!

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

I think the reviews we saw were pretty spot on. I've yet to beat it, but it lacks originality (and I'm using this term lightly since this is an adaptation) and it lacks the cool factor that "Everything or Nothing" had.

I don't like the more outlandish James Bond films like Moonraker and Die Another Day, but for video games, they're great - they make great games because they're wild and original to an extent (going to space, invisible cars), but From Russia with Love is a rehash and the game feels like it almost on every level. They took Everything or Nothing, added to it, and then took away all the cool stuff. Where's all the cool Bond moment type stuff - the derring-do action sequences like a Bond girl getting dropped from a helicopter and Bond has to jump off a cliff and catch her. Or a building is exploding and Bond has to decend it to the bottom? No no, what From Russia with Love gets is a level (that the player has already played on twice before) in which Bond has to blow up 30 cars before he can get on a train. I remember in Everything or Nothing Bond battled a ton of cars then he ramped on to the train. Outlandish? Yeah. Fun? Yeah. FRWL? No.

Everything in this game is just so linear. The last Bond game had more freedom - even though realistically, it didn't, it gave off that feeling that it did. Now, thanks to the wonderful invention of a lightbulb, Bond has to seek these out and then hold "A" and the mission solves itself. A lever here, a file cabinet there, a button, a point to rappel-this is dumb and unexciting. Where's the adventure?

I mean sure, this game has a great story, great characters, and even Sean Connery back in action, but the parts in the game where it deviates in the story, you think they could have come up with some better levels than blowing up 30 cars on a level you've played through twice already. If they wanted to do a Sean Connery film, I still maintain that From Russia with Love was an awful choice. It's a great film and even a better novel (IMHO), but it doesn't make a great game. For Connery, they should have gone with You Only Live Twice or Thunderball.

Not to say FRWL isn't a good game. It's a solid/decent game, it's just not the follow up to Everything or Nothing I was expecting or hoping for.

Edit: For the record, I gave it a 3/5.

Edited by K1Bond007, 05 November 2005 - 08:11 AM.

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:44 AM

Yeah FRWL is the most non-flashy of all the Connery Bonds, I guess the designers really really liked the movie though. So far I have noticed a couple of nagging differences from EoN, now you can't get close to the goons and grapple/hand-to-hand fight with them all the time, its just shoot or be shot. I wonder why they dropped this feature. The driving bit in Istanbul seemed to be slightly clunkier than EoN too. If you played both games without knowing when they were released, you'd assume FRWL came first and EON was the one with the improved gameplay.
But yes I agree FRWL is not a bad game at all, it just isn't going to beat Goldeneye as the best Bond game. I'm only at the Istanbul part, but I have a feeling that I'm going to rank EON higher by the time I get to the end.

#6 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

Yeah FRWL is the most non-flashy of all the Connery Bonds, I guess the designers really really liked the movie though. So far I have noticed a couple of nagging differences from EoN, now you can't get close to the goons and grapple/hand-to-hand fight with them all the time, its just shoot or be shot. I wonder why they dropped this feature. The driving bit in Istanbul seemed to be slightly clunkier than EoN too. If you played both games without knowing when they were released, you'd assume FRWL came first and EON was the one with the improved gameplay.
  But yes I agree FRWL is not a bad game at all, it just isn't going to beat Goldeneye as the best Bond game. I'm only at the Istanbul part, but I have a feeling that I'm going to rank EON higher by the time I get to the end.

View Post

Yeah, the hand-to-hand really bugs me because I picture Connery as a more burly guy who's gonna throw a few punches. All you can do in this game is get close to a guy and then tap whatever button comes up - and that's if it comes up. I've snuck up behind a number of guys and nothing happens, then they see me and shoot.

EON used the Need for Speed engine for the racing parts. FRWL doesn't - at least to my knowledge - it doesn't show it, that's for sure.

#7 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

It lacks the variety of EON, which was really the best part of that game, and is essentially just the on foot portions of EON. However, I did think that the added levels captured a bit of that (ie. Bond flies through a factory, blows up an underground lair, then drives through an exploding tunnel).

I do appreciate that they added more depth in regards to unlockables, providing more things to search for in the game. Unfortunately, it should've been a bit more involved. I've already unlocked everything in the game, yet I still have plenty of unused points and awards.

The extra outfits are a really nice touch, especially the fact that the cutscenes reflect whatever Bond is wearing. Just getting to play as Connery in the white dinner jacket or black tux is surprisingly satisfying. :) (The Ruins level in the black tux is a surreal experience- almost like Scaramanga's funhouse.)

The Bond Focus move is also a vast improvement over Bond Sense. I had finished the game before I realized just how useful it actually is, especially for shooting grenades or removing armor from those mini-gun toting enemies.

As with the film eras, this one is more simplified than the over-the-top approach of Brosnan's era, and I agree it hurts it a bit as a videogame. I'm also not crazy about them making the levels longer, just to avoid EON's criticism of having short levels. (One glaring problem with this approach is having the MI6 level tacked on to the end of the Hedgemaze level. If you want to replay that level, you have to wade through several minutes of gameplay just to reach it!)

Still, the presentation is so good that I can honestly say I'm pleased with the game overall. It's a very solid foundation to build upon for the next one. But I do agree that they should bring back the Need For Speed engine. What's the point of trying to keep everything on one engine if the gameplay suffers as a result?

Edited by TheBritishEnd, 05 November 2005 - 07:46 PM.

#8 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:37 PM

I gave it a 5. GREAT GAME.

Well, I just got my copy yesterday and haven't stopped playing it since. IT'S FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! Connery is indeed the centerpiece that holds the game together but the voices of the other characters are pretty darn close even without the actors themselves doing the voices. As far as presentation, I feel like I'm back in the 60s wathcing FRWL again (not that I was ever there in the first place, but anyway...). It has a real authentic Bond movie feel which starts with the intro (which was very well done). I'd have to say the reviewers are dead wrong on this one. There are so many cool things to do from upgrading weapons to finding new outfits. The best part about the gameplay IMO is that they really capture the physicality and the "brawler" fighting style of Connery's Bond. The close-combat moves are excellent. The first driving level was very good, nothing really new on that front except of course the DB5. The graphics and facial models are wonderful. Connery's face especially is nearly perfect. I give it 10/10. This is a GREAT GAME.
Also, as a sidenote, when you get enough points in single-player mode, buy the little Sean Connery game-making documentary.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:40 PM

[Added in your review post here, since we're trying to collect some personal reviews here. :)]

#10 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

Definitely a 5.

EoN turned me on to the third-person Bond gameplay, which I like, and the thrill of watching these scenes unfold with Sir Sean Connery as 007 is second-to-none as far as my James Bond experiences in life...as I never had the pleasure of seeing him on the big screen due to my age.

Whereas others may point out a gripe that the game does not mimic the movie, this does not trouble me: it excites me to see Bond with new dialogue and some new missions. If they lifted the whole movie, they could have lifted all of the old voices, too, and there would have been no point to bring back the star.

All in all, I recommend this to all Bond fans but also to all game fans.

#11 TITAN

TITAN

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:39 AM

i am so upset about how bad this game is i cant even beleive it. connery's voice is the only thin it has going for it. the mechanics are a joke, no head shots, crap camera angles(its way too sensitive), the driving is the worst driving i have seen in ANY game!! i mean this is such a far cry from the other bond games u wouldn't beleive it. i dont know whats going on @ EA but this is yet another title in a strong series they have that they have just butchered!! im almost done with the game, and when i am i will post in much more detail.(i want to ply the whole thing before i really rip it a new :)) but i can tell u this, if this is the way the bond games are gunna be from now on that come out of EA, then im done with 007 gaming!! if i wasn't a huge bond fan i would have turned it off after the first driving level!!if u drive full speed buildings will literally pop up as u drive along!!that kind of stuff is unforgivable nowadays!!

EA get your :) together or your gunna put yourselves out of business!!

i give it a 1/10. christ i cant beleive they screwed it up this bad!!

#12 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

I'm still waiting for the GameCube version to come out, but I must say I don't like the sound of no headshots. Are you sure you're not overreacting? I know sometimes I set sky high expectations for games and am disappointed when the game doesn't fulfill every wish. Hopefully this is one of those things that grows on ya with time.

#13 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:51 AM

It's Daniel Craig's fault.

#14 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:58 AM

It's Daniel Craig's fault.

View Post

LOL!

:)

#15 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:07 AM

Well I personally think the game is great, but if you didn't like it, I'm sure Daniel Craig was involved in some way...

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

TITAN, I merged your review/rating here.

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

[mra]I

#18 vosne

vosne

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:11 PM

Some of you aren't going to like this but my kids and I are huge fans of 007 and I personally think FRWL the film is the best of the bonds. It's a good spy thriller even without the 007 aspect.
I'm not a 'gamer' except when my boys [7 and 11 years old] invite me to play but I was intrigued to play this because of the 007 connection and I found it lacks dimension and challenge. Maybe it's the third-person aspect because I found Nightfire much more challenging. With FRWL you deoress L1 and depress R1 and the machine does the work...which can be depressing. It is marvelous, however, to hear Connery's voice.

#19 JB_007

JB_007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:17 AM

This game is excellent. I bought it yesterday, and I love it. It's got all the bond elements and more, I just hope it isnt as short as they say. But I do love the multiplayer loved nightfires MP HATED Everthing or nothings, because 1st you had to unlock it then all you could play in was a small cofined area. and now with FRWL they give 9 resplectfully sized areas, though I wish you could play bond in the multiplayer.I rated it a 5 should be 5.5

#20 TITAN

TITAN

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:19 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='6 November 2005 - 20:39'][mra]I

#21 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

Awesome game!! Bought it yesterday and was floored by how well done it is.. I'm now on the Station T-Turkey stage, trying to get past that helicopter. I gave the game a 4 out of 5, it's not quite as good as my favorite, Everything or Nothing, but still its great fun!!

#22 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

4 out of 5.
This is easily the best Bond game for ages IMO. I wasn't looking foward to it at first when I realised that it wasn't 1st person, but I think that the 3rd person view is perfect for this game. The voice acting is superb, even though Connery sounds a it like that guy from the Grolsch ad :tup: . The gadgets are great, especially the Q-copter, and I like the fact that you can keep your weapons between levels.
The only downers about the game are the Instanbul driving level-the car is too thin and it has no Bondian feel to it at all- and the fact that you can't really grapple with enemies. I was hoping to smack them round the head with my PPK, break their arm and then throw them out of a window...
Still, a great game-I'm just about to start the gypsy camp level :D

#23 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:47 PM

Just got it- very disappointing. The lovely movie-style gloss of EON has gone to be replaced by some very dodgy graphics and rubbish driving. Terrible DB5 model as well. Just everything that was fun about EON has gone- bizarre.
At least EON seemed to fit the feel of the period it had gone for (21st century BrosBond) but this misses classic Bond by a mile. How is a CGI-style title sequence fitting? Why are all the menus in such a modern style- they just haven't thought about making this a proper stylish experience.

And the pre-credits- do they think Westminster bridge is a mile long? :tup:

#24 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:57 AM

Well, I got it for GCN, and I gotta say that it's enjoyable but nothing new. Fun stuff, and overall, I love the 60s atmosphere, but it just lacks innovation. It really could just be EON part II, and while that's still fun, it's disappointing.

Honestly, I don't think FRWL was either the movie to adapt from Connery's era, or the best execution in terms of invention. The missions are planned in a really boring fashion, the graphics aren't really mesmerizing, and the action could really use a boost.

And Connery's voice acting, while a nice addition, is downright appalling.'

All that said, though, I LOVE the MAIN TITLE sequence... I think it's a clever bit of work that uses the GF-style of showing the actors while bringing in the belly dancers. With a little more work, I think it'd be superior to Brownjohn's actual FRWL main titles...

#25 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

Is the title sequnce any good and who sings the song.

#26 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

[mra]My full review of From Russia With Love is in this month

#27 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

I bought this game for my son for doing so well in his first School Nativity Play, and I just cannot put it down. (despite his cries of "daddy, you're too old to play this game...bugger off") LOL J/K

I agree with a few posters above. But all the criticisms aside, I think it's a great game. In fact, I'll be so bold to say for entertainment value, it knocks the socks off the last few official films.

I'm waiting too see a new game for each existing actors. The Spy Who Loved Me, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and The Living Daylights would make this old man extremely happy.

It would of been extra cool if the character made a few quips now and then, instead of remaining silent when he's "expelled" a baddie.

Well. That's enough for now...back to the game. :tup:

#28 Only007

Only007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

Only007's Review of From Russia With Love

It's evening in London, the Prime Minister and his daughter are having a party. The rise of OCTOPUS, the criminal organization, angered at the murder of their companion, Dr. No, seek revenge and London is concerned. They send the one man who can do it all...007. Upon arrival, Bond is surprised at the lack of concern from the daughter who is enjoying the evening. However, that won't last as OCTOPUS agents are already infiltrating the party. Out of nowhere all hell breaks loose, OCTOPUS agents take hostage the daughter, Bond springs into action eliminating Octo-agents nearby. He looks ahead to see an Octo-agent with the PM's daughter in his hands. He remarks "The game's over, 007!" and Bond replies:

"No I think it's just begun."

Bond fans everywhere have been anticipating the return of another James Bond video game. Electronic Arts has held it's ground with the franchise, with over 7 game releases. However, with the dark shadow that they called Goldeneye: Rogue Agent which many agree is the worst Bond game ever, would they go on with the franchise? They did. With the latest James Bond movie, Casino Royale coming up many anticipated Danial Craig, the newly chosen actor to play Bond, would be the star. However, EA went another direction and went to the classic side of James Bond. Sean Connery would star in From Russia with Love, the video game.

From Russia with Love is a awesome game in my opinion and is by far the best game yet. The mission are striking and sometimes challenging (The level Station T had my head spinning the first time around with that third hostage). Sir Connery does the voice acting superbly, even though he has aged and his Scottish acent coming more clear, it stills feels like it Sean and nothing beats that.

The gameplay is in 3rd person view, much to the relief of many Bond gamers with the odd and non-working past 1st person shooters games. The return of hand-to-hand combat is a welcoming scene and the auto-aiming feature is also back. The only problem with the hand-to-hand combat is sometimes you'll get in fights involuntary, since when you press the Fire buttons to close instead of firing his gun, he punches the guy which leads to a brief 5 second fist fight. But that is not a big problem and most won't find it to be. The gameplay is exciting, with the many action sequences, smashing through windows with your rappel, kamikazing Q-copters into enemy agents, Octo-agents dropping from glass up above to counterattck and the few driving sequences all keep you on the edge of your seat, which that's what's Bond's all about.

The graphics are very good, and stands it's ground among many other top console games. I've heard of rumors of "invisible walls" yet I've failed to find them. Although you do see a little pixelization of the car model and other things slim, especially in cut-scenes, which sometimes can bring back memories of the PSX, these are sparse.

The gadgets in the game are fairly cool, the Q-copter, which is merely a remote-controlled helicopter with a explosive attached, Laser Watch, a watch that can fry anything from enemy agents to electronic locks, a briefcase turrent whch fires on oncoming enemies (similar to the Ronin in Nightfire), cufflinks which emit shockwaves that subdue enemies, a Serum gun which makes any agent go nuts and kills their own ranks with Bond sitting in the background, and a rather old but fitting Gas Mask which protects from deadly and harmful gases. You also get to explore Q's lab and training facility where you watch his companions try out new gadgets to only fail in a comic way as in the movies which is a sign that the Bond movie magic is still there.

This is a must for any and all Bond fans with a console, and you'll be excited with this sitting under the tree this holiday season.

From Russia With Love Overview

Gameplay 4/5
Graphics 4/5
Gadgets 5/5
Weapons 5/5
Replaybility 4/5

Overall: 4/5

Thanks for reading my review.

Edited by Only007, 27 December 2005 - 04:04 PM.

#29 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:40 PM

I've completed the game, apart from the bonus levels. IMO it is the best Bond game since Goldeneye64, and I hope people will think the same in the future

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

The overall consensus here (based on the poll alone) seems to be much better for From Russia With Love than the other reviews we've been seeing lately.