Meet 'the diarist'

66 replies to this topic

#1 The diarist

The diarist

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

OK, I've succumbed. I hope this doesn't turn into an obsession, as I have a new book to write and too few months in which to write it...

Thanks for all your comments - enthusiastic and critical. And thanks for the site; it's been a wonderful companion during some of those dark days when I thought I was the only person to be eating, sleeping, dreaming Bond-world.

A one-off offer; if you've got any questions, please post them this week, if possible, and I'll do my best to answer next weekend... (And yes, Mr Schofield, I am waiting for you.)

Until then,
Samantha (Weinberg)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

A very big welcome Samantha Weinberg to CBn! :)

(Hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of breaking this into it's own thread.)

And before we bombard Samantha with questions, read our interview because she may have already answered them here:

Posted Image
The Samantha Weinberg CBn Interview
The author behind the pseudonym 'Kate Westbrook' talks to CBn about 'The Moneypenny Diaries'

Again, welcome. :)

#3 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:21 PM

WOW!. A very warm welcome to CBn, Samantha. :)

It's good of you to join, and I'm sure you'll have some fun on these forums. :)

Best wishes.

Cheers,

Ian

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

Samantha - Welcome to the ether.

It can become truly addictive.

No, really.

Welcome to our own little corner of Her Majesty's Secret Service.

My office is the third one on the left. Drop by for some Sinatra and a bit of single malt.

Glad to have you aboard the good ship CBn.

You'll be hearing about me, but don't believe any of it.

:)

Bryce

Attached Files

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:28 PM

Welcome.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to CBn, Samantha Weinberg! We're glad to have you here. :)

#7 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

Ah, welcome indeed! I'm still waiting on my copy from amazon.co.uk, but I'm very excited about the whole thing.

*genuflects in presence of a REAL writer*

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

One thing I would like to ask our new friend 'the diarist' is if she's going to be doing any book tours, and if she knows when The Moneypenny Diaries might be released in the U.S.?

#9 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

Welcome to CBn, Samantha. You're right about this place being addictive; CBn puts something in the water, you know. :)

#10 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Welcome to CBn, Kate Westbrook! :) I will definitely read The Moneypenny Diaries when it comes to the States! :)

#11 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:41 PM

Welcome on the site Mrs. Westbrook! Nice to have you on board! :)

I promiss to read the diaries (bought I have them already) the moment I finished with TWIMC by Hitch. Sorry, but I have to read that one first as there is a little bit at stake for me... :)

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

[mra]Welcome to the forums, Samantha. :)

I

#13 The diarist

The diarist

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:06 PM

Oh dear, I can see what this is going to be like... and I have to sleep sometime.

Thank you everyone for your welcomes. At risk of sounding sappy, I feel like I am at home already.

A quick reply to zencat - as you asked such very good questions - the book is out with US publishers at the moment. We kept it back until now, to try to protect the whole 'this a real diary' story. That didn't go quite as we had hoped. So hopefully, it will find an American publisher soon, and if they ask me to come over for a tour, who am I to say no?

One technical question; how do I highlight a question to add it into my reply?

Signing off for the night.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:10 PM

One technical question; how do I highlight a question to add it into my reply?

View Post

Just click the "QUOTE" button found at the bottom right of the person's own post in this thread. Then type your own reply in the screen it brings up. :)

#15 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:04 AM

Hey... The diarist IS here! Welcome, Miss Moneypenny. :) Glad you joined.
And yes... this place can be VERY addicting!

#16 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:21 AM

Welcome aboard! How cool is this? Charlie Higson, this is your calling! :)

I've just started reading The Moneypenny Diaries after very eagerly tracking it down here in Australia. Very impressed at the moment!

My question: any idea on when we can expect Book 2? Does it have a (working) title? And is this a strict trilogy, or is there scope for more books if the series takes off?

Alright, so that's three questions. :)

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:38 AM

Welcome to CBn Samantha.

If you have the time to join our happy gang the least I should do now is buy your book. I've being in two minds about it, but you've swayed me now.

#18 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:46 AM

Well, this is pretty cool - though my copy is arriving from the UK with my boyfriend in a weeks time. If I have any questions once I begin reading it, I shall humbly ask them !

But, to begin with, from all that I have heard about this book, both good and bad, you seem to know your Bond books, Flemming and Higson, at least. So, my question is this - if IFP were to approach you to write a Bond continuation novel (under your real name, presumably) akin to Colonel Sun, License Renewed, The Man With The Red Tattoo et al, would you be willing to immerse yourself in such a venture ?

And if so, given free reign to write such a Bond book, how would you make it your own ? What directions would you take Bond in as a character in the new millenium ?

Hope that those weren't too much - and I fully understand if you can't answer some of the questions for various reasons.

Anyway, I do believe I am rambling - like the others have said, hope yo see you around the boards, Ms Weinberg, it's definitely a fun and enjoyable place to discuss James Bond.

#19 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:25 AM

A very warm welcome to you my dear. I look forward to reading the Diaries eventually (I've got a couple books already lined up on top of a few papers I have due). Might have some questions then, perhaps.

Hope you enjoy it here!

#20 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:56 AM

It's an honour to have you here, I'm hoping to get a copy of it soon!

#21 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:54 AM

A warm welcome to the family.

It is wonderful that both Mr. Higson and yourself have your stories so firmly rooted in Fleming's world and have not allowed the more popular aspects of the Bond community (films, games, etc.) taint the well.

I'm sure I'll come up with a few Q's once I've finished your novel, but until then, cheers! :)

#22 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:29 AM

An honour indeed for a Bond creative to venture into the forums.

Presumeably if you have lurked here in the past before beginning your own piece of Bond lore, you will have seen the way in which some of the more emotionally interested in Bond, have expressed their views.

Did this in any way give cause for concern before committing to the leap into Bond kingdom. Indeed, going one step further, what swayed the final leap into the forum culture?

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

True, very brave!

Very exciting, good to have you here.

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

Welcome, The diarist, and looking forward to reading your book. :)

Now, what's keeping Mr Craig? :)

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:17 AM

A quick reply to zencat - as you asked such very good questions - the book is out with US publishers at the moment. We kept it back until now, to try to protect the whole 'this a real diary' story. That didn't go quite as we had hoped. So hopefully, it will find an American publisher soon, and if they ask me to come over for a tour, who am I to say no?

View Post

Thank you. :)

Hmmm...still no sign of Mr Schofield.

#26 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

OK, I've succumbed. I hope this doesn't turn into an obsession, as I have a new book to write and too few months in which to write it...

Thanks for all your comments - enthusiastic and critical. And thanks for the site; it's been a wonderful companion during some of those dark days when I thought I was the only person to be eating, sleeping, dreaming Bond-world.

A one-off offer; if you've got any questions, please post them this week, if possible, and I'll do my best to answer next weekend... (And yes, Mr Schofield, I am waiting for you.)

Until then,
Samantha (Weinberg)

View Post

Aw shucks, Samantha, fame at last!!! But if you insist...

Why DID you alter Fleming's ableit vague chronology? You date CR to 1952 - okay - but Moneypenny in the Diaries did not join MI6 until 1953. M didn't become M until 1956? Yet, Fleming name-checks both in CR and the other novels written/set before 1956. As you state in your interview with Zen, the Mau Mau didn't influence your dating the Diaries, surely Moneypenny being that bit older - so to fit with the Fleming "facts" - wouldn't have made her that bit less physical/resourceful in 1962?

And, of course, why cannot Bond be "Bond" if Moneypenny, Messervy, Tanner etc. are real names? I don't want to sound thick - I could be! - but don't see the benefit of it. The Diaries work perfectly well within the Fleming world as it is (same complaint to Mr Pearson, BTW).

Thing is, Samantha, if you'd written a pile of rubbish, I wouldn't have cared: the Diaries IMHO fits very well WITHIN Fleming.

PS - Zen, here, present and correct - wife and kids need attention too. :)

Edited by Righty007, 06 November 2005 - 05:17 PM.

#27 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:16 PM

Welcome! I'm waiting for your book to get stateside. Much congratulations on the UK publication.

4A

#28 The diarist

The diarist

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='4 November 2005 - 22:04'][mra]Welcome to the forums, Samantha. :)

I

#29 The diarist

The diarist

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

Welcome aboard!  How cool is this?  Charlie Higson, this is your calling! :)

I've just started reading The Moneypenny Diaries after very eagerly tracking it down here in Australia.  Very impressed at the moment!

My question: any idea on when we can expect Book 2?  Does it have a (working) title?  And is this a strict trilogy, or is there scope for more books if the series takes off?

Alright, so that's three questions. :)

View Post

I think the plan is to release book 2 next October - if I finish it in time. I'm working on the title (working), and so far it is a trilogy, but I've got another 37 volumes of Miss M's diaries in my attic, so we shall see... (It rather depends, I imagine, on how they are received).

#30 The diarist

The diarist

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

Welcome to CBn Samantha.

If you have the time to join our happy gang the least I should do now is buy your book. I've being in two minds about it, but you've swayed me now.

View Post

I am so pleased. I hope you enjoy it.