219 replies to this topic

#211 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

Has anyone in the UK been watching the new series of Hotel Babylon? I was watching it earlier this evening, thinking that Max Beesley might make a fun Bond in the Roger Moore tradition, when I was blown away by the appearance of an actor by the name of Paul Telfer who seems to be the reincarnation of the young Connery.

Like Connery, Telfer is a tall Scot (6ft 1), has the same deep Scottish voice, and a muscular athleticism that would pass the speedo test with ease - he recently played Hercules opposite Timothy Dalton. He also has the duality in his looks that I like in a Bond, debonair and handsome but with a shade of brute. At the moment he is too young (27), and too fresh faced and inexperienced as an actor. Imagine though, what he might be like ten years from now if he can build a career. In the meantime, he has a regular role in Hotel Bablyon, so check him out.

I don't want another Connery, Moore, Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig as the next Bond. I want to see someone who is new and different.

#212 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

I'm new to this forum and I hate to start off in disagreement, but as a woman I find your comments interesting. I've discussed this with other women friends over the years and concensus seems to be that Tim Dalton was a man's idea of what a woman would find attractive, but actually I haven't found a single woman that would be interested in sleeping with him. Shallow as that may be, women wanting to sleep with JB is an essential component of the formula. TD: nice guy, but totally lacking sex appeal.

Here's a woman who would not have minded sleeping with Dalton. When I first saw him in JANE EYRE and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, I had a crush on him.

#213 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

There are quite a few women on CB.n that feel as you do, but here is the only place I've seen them.

#214 sgt-scream

sgt-scream

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

Call me crazy, but Gerard Butler. :cooltongue:

#215 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Call me crazy, but Gerard Butler. :cooltongue:

You're crazy.

#216 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

Who knows, maybe Craig will be a big hit and do more than 3.

View Post

I think even if Craig is a big hit he wont do more than three. He is already so in demand that after Bond i dont think he will resist the urge to move on. I dont think Sir Roger or even Pierce was so in demand. Bond was their meal ticket. Craig is already hot property. Plus i have a feeling he isn't going to like the press and superstardom that is going to come with Bond.

Well, CR did so well at the Box Office, and Craig did such a great job as Bond that it is extremely hard to imagine his Bond films being anything but a success - unless something goes terribly wrong - like aweful scripts, etc. CR's success will likely guarantee that Craig's second Bond movie will do well at the box office.

Anyway, he will likely be stuck with the press and superstardom even if he does leave the series after three movies - now that he has been Bond - he will always be Bond.

I hope, if all goes well, we will get at least four Bond movies from him (even though I realize it will more likely be 3). But Connery's 3rd and Moore's 3rd films were there best IMO. I even thought Broz looked most comfortable in his 3rd outing even though TWINE is NOT my favorite of his movies.

Regards

#217 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

A bit mean dee-bee-five.

I was actually reining myself in. When it comes to Hotel Babylon, I don't think one can be harsh enough because if it serves any purpose at all, it is to epitomise the dumbing down of British television. Cynical hack writing at its worst.

I haven't seen the much reviled Hotel Babylon but I agree that Max Beesley would be an extremely downmarket choice. Surely we're not that desperate?

Indeed. It wouldn't be a case of scraping the barrel so much as burrowing deep beneath it...

#218 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Wrong thread but I can't be bothered to trawl through and find the right one now and it's vaguely related, but I'm just watching on TV right now an episode of a quaint little series from 1972 called 'The Protectors', about an international crime fighting team led by Robert Vaughn, and featuring Tony Anholt - mostly known to me previously from 'Howard's Way', but in this he's young and very handsome and, yes, you guessed it, very Bondian. Makes me think he should have been a contender at that time. Also in this episode a young and astonishingly pretty Hannah Gordon, she could have done a good Bond girl too.

#219 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

Wrong thread but I can't be bothered to trawl through and find the right one now and it's vaguely related, but I'm just watching on TV right now an episode of a quaint little series from 1972 called 'The Protectors', about an international crime fighting team led by Robert Vaughn, and featuring Tony Anholt - mostly known to me previously from 'Howard's Way', but in this he's young and very handsome and, yes, you guessed it, very Bondian. Makes me think he should have been a contender at that time. Also in this episode a young and astonishingly pretty Hannah Gordon, she could have done a good Bond girl too.

Sounds like a Bondian movie as well.

#220 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

Tony Anholt was also in Space 1999, wasn't he? I believe he died relatively young.