Forgotten henchmen

15 replies to this topic

#1 Goldthumb

Goldthumb

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 10:08 AM

Dozens of webpages out there fail to mention alot of henchmen who had important roles in the movies they're in....

Morzeny in "From Russia With Love": Red Grant, Kronsteen, and Rosa Klebb get all the credit. What about Morzeny? he was the ehad of SPECTRE's training facilities, and he's also the guy who killed Kronsteen when he botched up.

Kisch and Mr. Ling in "Goldfinger": Kisch was just your average henchman, but Oddjob isn't Goldfinger's only henchman for crying out loud! Mr. Ling is the guy that provided Goldfinger wis his nuclear weapon, a big part in the story, so how is it Ling is always forgotten?

Hans in "You Only Live Twice": He was Blofeld's bodyguard, who looked after the villain's pirahnas. He's given the task of activating Bird 1's self-destruct mechanism once it has grabbed the 2nd American shuttle, and he even gets to kick the crap out of 007. Why do Helga Brandt and Mr. osato get all the credit, when Hans was Blofeld's only effetive henchman...?

And, lastly, we have the two forgotten henchmen from "Licence to Kill": Perez and Bruan. Dario gets all the attention, but why? He's one of three, and he's no more or less important to Sanchez than Perez or Braun were..in fact, they both outlive Dario!

There's probably more neglected evildoers out there, and if anyone can think up more, then that's great. I say these ignored henchmen be given their due credit more often.

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 03:58 AM

What about Klaus, the nasty who runs over the ersatz Countess in FYEO.

Not many henchpersons get to play Ian Fleming in later life.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 11:37 PM

I really like Scarpine from A View To A Kill. I rate the movie pretty low on the Bond movie list, however I've taken to watching Scarpine when I see this movie. Zorin is going nut, Mayday is a lunatic, that old Nazi Bastard is insane, and Scarpine just keeps his cool through the whole thing. Very subtle, and very well done. I wish the rest of the movie could have been done as well as Patrick Bauchau played his part.

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 14 January 2002 - 10:57 PM

Are you sure this is the way to New Orleans, OO7Qbranch?

Call me sad, but I like the two warehouse security guards in LTK. The one who gets trapped in that big container type of thing and the one who falls into the tank of water with the electric eel in it.

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 18 January 2002 - 02:08 AM

I also like Karl/Carl (he's the guy who drives Kristatos' boat in FYEO).

"Carl, run them down."

#6 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 03:18 PM

White Persian (19 Jan, 2002 03:58 a.m.):
What about Klaus, the nasty who runs over the ersatz Countess in FYEO.

Not many henchpersons get to play Ian Fleming in later life.

You mean the character that Charles Dance played?

#7 OO7Qbranch

OO7Qbranch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 10:24 PM

the cool taxi driver in lald, i mean he's the one who drove Bond. and whisper.

#8 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 03:22 PM

Goldthumb (14 Jan, 2002 10:08 a.m.):
And, lastly, we have the two forgotten henchmen from "Licence to Kill": Perez and Bruan. Dario gets all the attention, but why? He's one of three, and he's no more or less important to Sanchez than Perez or Braun were..in fact, they both outlive Dario!

They only outlive him for a short time though. Don't they die when the truck is on fire and goes over the cliff, just narrowly missing Pam Bouvier in her Cessna?

#9 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 03:31 PM

The '3 Blind Mice' killers in Dr No.
Count Lippe in TB.
Bambi & Thumper in DAF.
The maintenace guy on Scaramanga's Island (can't think of his name). Scaramanga only mentions the two of them (himself and Nick Nack) on the island in TMWTGG. Perhaps he is the most forgotten henchman in the series.
Sandor in TSWLM.
Chang in MR.
Jenny Flex and that Chinese lass in AVTAK.
Colonel Heller in LTK.
Gabor in TWINE.

#10 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 09:40 PM

Also,
Professor Dent and Miss Taro in Doctor No.
Vargas in T-Ball
Grunther in OHMSS
Whisper in LALD
The captain of the Liparus in TSWLM
The knife throwing twins in Octopussy
Boris in GE
Gupta in TND
Gabor and the Bull and the Cigar Girl in TWINE

#11 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 04:30 AM

I liked Hans in YOLT, that was a great fight scene with Bond. (we don't have too many fist fights in the current movies).

AVTAK had a wide assortment of odd/classic henchpeople.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 January 2002 - 01:58 AM

scaramanga (25 Jan, 2002 03:31 p.m.):

Yes, of course. We should never forget them, as they are the very first henchmen we see in the whole series.

I was just thinking, they are probably the only henchmen, other than Jaws I think, to have appeared in the credits. I could be wrong.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 08:57 PM

scaramanga (30 Jan, 2002 08:11 p.m.):

Blofeld's Cat (29 Jan, 2002 01:58 a.m.):

Yes, of course. We should never forget them, as they are the very first henchmen we see in the whole series.

I was just thinking, they are probably the only henchmen, other than Jaws I think, to have appeared in the credits. I could be wrong.

You mean henchmen who have appeared in the pre-credits?
Well, theres also Red Grant in FRWL, Nick Nack in TMWTGG, Dario in LTK, Ouromov in GE and Henry Gupta in TND.

I believe he means actually in the title sequence, and OddJob was in the title sequence of Goldfinger.

#14 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 08:11 PM

Well, theres also Red Grant in FRWL, Nick Nack in TMWTGG, Dario in LTK, Ouromov in GE and Henry Gupta in TND.

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 07:59 AM

Mister Asterix (14 Jan, 2002 11:37 p.m.):
I really like Scarpine from A View To A Kill. I rate the movie pretty low on the Bond movie list, however I've taken to watching Scarpine when I see this movie. Zorin is going nut, Mayday is a lunatic, that old Nazi Bastard is insane, and Scarpine just keeps his cool through the whole thing. Very subtle, and very well done. I wish the rest of the movie could have been done as well as Patrick Bauchau played his part.

Hmm. I'm not entirely convinced he can act. On greeting Moore at Chantilly, he's awfully wooden. Perhaps Scarpine is meant to be relaxed, the madder Zorin gets, but then perhaps I'm forgiving him too much.

On an not entirely unrelated subject, Bond and Zorin fight it out on the city side of the Golden Gate bridge, i.e. looking down from the airship, the left hand side. When Zorin drops off and we see the dummy dropping past the bridge into the water, the way its filmed suggests that he's dropped off the right hand side. Odd, that. Or is it just me? (Probably)

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 31 January 2002 - 08:51 AM

Mister Asterix (30 Jan, 2002 08:57 p.m.):

scaramanga (30 Jan, 2002 08:11 p.m.):

I believe he means actually in the title sequence, and OddJob was in the title sequence of Goldfinger.

That's what I meant, and I forgot about the Korean. Oh, how topical and current.:)