10 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:46 PM

I want to start collecting the James Bond comic strip stories and at the moment, I've got my eye on 'Serpent's Tooth' Part 1 and 'A Silent Armageddon' Part 1.
Can anyone tell me if either of these are worth getting?
Thanks

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 12:12 PM

Any recommendations at all?

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 09:43 AM

Thanks guys.
I think I might get the 'Serpent's Tooth' one. They're both on eBay for

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 03:49 AM

I never thought too highly of either "Serpents Tooth" or "A Silent Armageddon" and as I understand it, most other Bond fans don't either.

The most highly-regarded Bond comic series is "The Quasimodo Gambit." I'm not just saying that because I'm good friends with the author/creator, or because I'm going to be taking the reigns of his website soon, I just think it's a damn good series. If you head over to his website in about a month or so, you will be able to get some info on it's creation. Also, if you're interested, there should be some info on the three GoldenEye comics he wrote and some info on the Tomorrow Never Dies trading cards.

Here's the address for Don's website: http://www.donmcgregor.com
Like I said above, the Bond material isn't up because I haven't taken control of the website yet. But if you have an interest in Zorro or other comics you may want to take a look at his site. If you know Don, the site's colour scheme fits him perfectly.

#5 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 04:09 PM

None (12 Apr, 2002 10:38 a.m.):
While i like the comics,i m pretty sure that a couple of them did nt get finished due to legal issues.Is this correct?

GoldenEye issues two and three were finished but never released (officially that is). Several fans like myself (and zencat?) have copies of two and three. I've seen them come up on ebay every once and a while.

#6 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:28 PM

None (12 Apr, 2002 10:38 a.m.):
While i like the comics,i m pretty sure that a couple of them did nt get finished due to legal issues.Is this correct?

Yes. A Silent Armageddon and GoldenEye were never finished.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 01:53 AM

I wouldn't know how good these are as I haven't read them. But I am really bothered by the fact that Gildrose allows these...parodies of Bond to be made.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 01:54 AM

I wouldn't know how good these are as I haven't read them. But I am really bothered by the fact that Gildrose allows these...parodies of Bond to be made.

It's like that James Bond Jr thing, was that a TV show? Or a comic book? Either way it disturbs me...

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 02:55 AM

Tanger, those stories are okay if you can get them for a cheap price. I found a few in closeout bins at local comic shops in recent years. I did buy Serpent's Tooth when it came out and it was in, I think, three parts. It was too much like a comic in my opinion, with a way over the top villain and Bond had some futuristic gun, if I remember right.

I think I have Silent Armageddon somewhere, but don't remember if I've read it. Like I said, if you can get them for cheap they're okay, if not, don't bother. The best made-for-comic Bond story was one that came out in about 1990 or so, although I can't recall the name of it. It was closer to the spirit of Bond than these later Dark Horse efforts IMO, with several references to the past.

#10 None

None

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 09:38 AM

#11 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:29 PM

I enjoyed Mike Grell's Permission To Die, a three part series. I have the first and third part. I believe all three parts were also collected in a single volume.

I enjoyed Serpent's Tooth, I have the book collecting the whole series. It's one of those over the top, mega epics like Moonraker or You Only Live Twice.

I don't mind seeing Bond in comic form, it's just Bond in another form of media.

BTW, there's a whole forum devoted to the comics in the literature section. :)