19 replies to this topic

#1 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 09:41 PM

I am thinking about mailing the bond actors letters, and asking for autographed pictures. Has anybody done this, if so who replied with autographed pictures. I hear Sean doesn't like giving autographs.

#2 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:09 AM

It depends on who you want to send letters to?

Here's a rundown of the Bond actors' TTM (through-the-mail) signing habits.

Sean Connery - Nothing. To my knowledge there has never been a success with Connery (unless he knows you or you know someone close to him).

George Lazenby - Good luck finding a valid address for him. Although a friend of mine who lives a few miles away from him sent him a letter to his home and never heard back.

Roger Moore - He was pretty good about signing TTM although he is entangled in a legal battle regarding his signature right now (so is Lazenby, btw) so I don't know if he can sign. Also, he just got a new secretary (I'm pals with his new secretary, that's how I know that) and I don't know how he will handle his fan mail.

Timothy Dalton - His sister, Annabelle, handles all his fanmail. If you write him a letter you'll usually get a packet of information of him and a pre-printed autograph (which is an autograph that is apart of the photo, in case you're not familiar with the term).

Pierce Brosnan - What you get back depends on which address you send a letter to. Most addresses will send you a packet of information about joining his fan club (although I'm not sure if the fan club is still running because they lady that used to run it got very ill and passed on a while back). Some addresses will send you a letter back saying something to the effect of "Because of the volume of mail Mr. Brosnan receives he is incapable of responding."

The people who've actually play Bond are probably going to be the hardest to get an actual response from. I suggest you write to the Bond co-stars simply because they are easier to get authentic autographs from. Louis Jourdan, Burt Kwouk, Claudine Auger, and Judi Dench are just a few of the best TTM signers (for the most part they all are). If you want to get a success though you have to send the celeb something to sign and a SASE, otherwise you cut you chances severly.

If you need any other advice, let me know.

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 31 March 2002 - 09:48 PM

I might try that myself.

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 31 March 2002 - 10:41 PM

Of all the Bonds, I'd be particularly excited if I received td1 autograph and rm1 autograph.

#5 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:54 PM

that's very dissapointing that Connery doesn't reply. He has been my idle since i can't remember. Maybe if i write him a long letter complimenting him on his other successes he might reply.

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:19 PM

Mac,
What kind of legal trouble has Rog got into with his signature? Is he looping the 'g' wrong or something? I'm sure there is a way to get in legal trouble with an autograph but it seems wierd.

#7 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:48 PM

yeah, please tell us why he is in legal trouble with his autograph.

#8 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 03:08 AM

Mister Asterix (02 Apr, 2002 12:19 a.m.):
Mac,
What kind of legal trouble has Rog got into with his signature? Is he looping the 'g' wrong or something? I'm sure there is a way to get in legal trouble with an autograph but it seems wierd.

I would like to talk about it, but I don't think I should. I was told in confidence and I wouldn't want to break the trust I have with that person.

I will, however, give you a little something to feed on; It involves something I'll call "exclusive rights."

I agree that the whole situation is weird and hopefully it will be resolved soon. I also hope it won't affect Roger's TTM signing habits once the matter is resolved.

As I understand it, Lazenby is involved in the exact same legal battle.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more.

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 04:38 AM

Thanks McCartney007. That actually makes sense to me.

#10 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 01:45 PM

McCartney, i couldn't have put it better myself. Ive got quite alot of autographs in my collection, my favourite is a non-Bond one, and it's Samuel L. Jackson, he signed it at Ealing Studio's on the set of Star Wars: Episode 2. My fave Bond sig is probably Sophie Marceau, she signed it at a French premiere. Wonderful lady.

For anyone who is interested, you can see a list of my Bond-autographs, by following the link at the end of my post. By the way, McCartney, which sig's have u got?

To see my James Bond autograph collection: click here

#11 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 02:39 PM

Off the top of my head, here's a list of my autograph collection:
Pierce Brosnan (Hand-written letter to me and several photos)
Sean Connery
George Lazenby
Roger Moore
Timothy Dalton
Caroline Munro
Richard Kiel
Eunice Gayson
Julian Glover
Jeroen Krabbe
Serena Gordon
Christopher Lee
Shirley Eaton
Honor Blackman
Dana Broccoli (my personal favorite! Tied with the Brosnan letter)
Raymond Benson
John Gardner
Kingsley Amis
Desmond Llewelyn
Lois Maxwell
Denise Richards
Timothy Moxon
Bruce Glover
Vic Armstrong
Robbie Coltrane
Gloria Hendry
David Arnold
Jonathan Pryce
Lana Wood
Don McGregor
Sophie Marceau
George Martin
Cubby Broccoli
Peter Hunt
Joseph Wiseman
Louis Jourdan
Jan Turner
Patrick Macnee
Conan O'Brien
Gladys Knight
Edward Fox
Burt Kwouk
Guy Hamilton
Judi Dench
Gotz Otto
Tom Jones
Clifton James
John Travolta
John Barry
Denis Leary
Elizabeth Hurley
Patrick Swayze
Benicio Del Toro
Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
Michael Apted
Gareth Owen
Phil Lisa
Dave Worrall
Lee Pffiefer
Gary Giblin
Jeff Marhsall

That's all I can think of so far, there may be more.

#12 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 03:07 PM

Wonderful collection. The Cubby Broccoli is the one i am jealous of the most though. :)

How long have you been collecting them? Ive been working on mine about a year and a half, but i haven't sent out that many letters, ive had replies from 97% of my requests. And ive just thought, of a great way to find a working address for Rosamund Pike. Jordan, i'll forward you a copy if it works.

#13 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:18 PM

ShockTroop22 (02 Apr, 2002 04:07 p.m.):
Wonderful collection. The Cubby Broccoli is the one i am jealous of the most though. :)

How long have you been collecting them? Ive been working on mine about a year and a half, but i haven't sent out that many letters, ive had replies from 97% of my requests. And ive just thought, of a great way to find a working address for Rosamund Pike. Jordan, i'll forward you a copy if it works.

I've been collecting autographs for several years. I should point out that most of the autographs in that list are from people I've met or interviewed at one point or another. In fact, very few of them are TTM success.

Let me know about Rosamund Pike though. I would assume you could just write her c/o Pinewood Studios. I know there have been a few Halle Berry success via the Pinewood address.

#14 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:37 PM

when i writie Sean a letter, should I involve a lot of Bond, or will that automatically make him throw it away. Pierce seems to be very good about autographs.

#15 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:58 PM

White Knight (02 Apr, 2002 10:37 p.m.):
when i writie Sean a letter, should I involve a lot of Bond, or will that automatically make him throw it away. Pierce seems to be very good about autographs.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I can pretty much guarantee that Connery doesn't even read his fan mail. If Connery did read his mail, I don't think he would mind if you wrote about Bond. He's come to grips with it now, but had you written him a letter about Bond, say, 15 years ago (we're still supposing iif he did read his fan mail) I can pretty much guarantee he would have used the letter it as toilet paper.

Brosnan does read some of his fan mail, but I doubt he reads all of it.

#16 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 10:06 PM

That is pretty sad, i will still right him a letter though. I came across him when on a plane to chicago once. It was th oddest thing. I said hi and he just gave me a wink and a nod, he almost said hi. Oh well, I'll try with the letters anyways.

#17 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 01:02 AM

I tried writing to Timothy Dalton, my fav. Bond, once with an address I found on the internet and it was sent right back to me saying it was an unkown address.

Hmmm, my Bond autographs, Let me see, one John Gardner book, all the Bensons, and, er, that's it.

I see autographs of the Bond actors on ebay a lot, there was a Connery going at $20 but someone told me they could possibly just be forged.

#18 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 10:49 PM

yeah, but has anybody actually done it, and could tell me if my chances are good on getting an autograph.

#19 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 01:37 AM

RossMan (03 Apr, 2002 02:02 a.m.):
I see autographs of the Bond actors on ebay a lot, there was a Connery going at $20 but someone told me they could possibly just be forged.

I think I'm safe in saying that almost 98% of the autographs on ebay are forgeries.

#20 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 11:37 AM

Most of the Ebay autographs are fake's, i'll never by from them. Make sure you buy froma n authorized dealer.

Bonsai's Bond Collectibles see 100% real autographs and props. However they are on the pricey side. Still, if you want quality, its supply and demand. Hope this helps. :)