10 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 07:21 AM

I'm trying to help someone source some life sized James Bond cardboard cut outs. Does anyone know where I might be able to find such items?

#2 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 03:33 PM

I've looked for them but had no luck. There was some place on the web where you could get customized ones made, can't remember the web site. But I do believe these "cut outs" are called standies. Plug it into your favorite search engine!

#3 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 05:09 PM

Yes, they are called standies. Ive got one that i got from a friend, of Obi-Wan in SW:Episode1, but ive searched really hard, and cant find any Bond ones.
On a similar note, does anyone know how to get hold of the standies, that are at the cinema's? you know the HUGE ones? Im thinking about asking my local cinema, if i can have one from Die Another Day, when it is released, but i'll have to see what happens. Zencat do you know if these are worth alot? (or are very collectible). Good luck with your search, Dan, keep us informed.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 08:36 PM

Well at least I know what they're called now! Thanks guys. I'll look out for a custom site.

As for the cinemas. I may be wrong, but I think some of them have a return and destroy order. I'm hoping to get a job at a cinema by June of this year (quit my current job cause I'm sick of it after 4 years!) and grab all the Bond 20 stuff as it comes out!

#5 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 05:45 PM

hi

i was reading your post. SO you are looking for standies (i am not sure i f i understand what it is (because i am french)) but if it s what i think, you mean reproduction of bond on almost real size. Because i have one of bond i bought in a market. It s a little bit smaller than the real brosnan and there is a message under him: "tomorrow never dies" and "soon on video"

i can take a pic to show you if you want. just ask me

#6 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 12:19 AM

Since Broz isn't going to any of the locations, maybe they're using standies to double for him.

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 03:26 AM

Alas, alack, my mother has all the PB cut outs that I know of. And trust me -- you don't want those. :)

Seriously, I would say make friends with folks who work at the cinema or at video rental places. They may have orders to destroy the cutouts, but they never do. They get into the hands of friends and family.

-- Xen

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 09:43 PM

That is exactly why I enjoy my sister working at the local video store, and the fact that when she leaves, I will get to work there. Hopefully, I can get my paws on the DAD poster that goes on display in the store when it comes out. She had just better get her name on it before anyone else does. I have been waiting for years for some Bond standies, but nothing yet. I'll let you know if anything comes up sometime, and maybe they'll be available where you live, Blue Eyes.

#9 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 05:01 PM

In the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Noooooooooo"
I just got an email back from UCI Cinema's. I'd asked them if i could have one of the Die Another Day standies, once they had finished it. They replied saying that the distributor always, insists that all promotional material (posters, standies, banners etc.) are returned to them. They are nearly always numbered, and must be returned. I think its different with video-stores, because they get them free, to keep, when they buy in the movies. When The World is not Enough came up, the video-store/grocery store, up the road, trashed all the promotional stuff, this time im gonna nab it.

#10 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 04:05 AM

It's also spelled as "standee". I've got a life sized one of Angelina Jolie used to advertise a Pepsi/Playstation promotion from the Tomb Raider movie. I'm after a Bond one too.

Speaking of video store material, my TWINE video store kit came in. It's got a box (it was shipped in it so it's got a little outside wear) that opens up to have one panel of Brosnan with a gun and another panel of the girls and Renard. Inside is a screener video (with different cover than the retail one) and a catalog detailing ordering information on all the materials used to promote the film that a video store could order. There's also a press sheet from MGM and a few little sheets regarding the special edition DVDs. I'm quite happy with it and it looks damn good all opened up on my shelves.

#11 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 04:15 AM

Ran a search and http://bartertown.co.uk has a TND standee and JBIFC apparently sells a Connery desk standee through their store but it's down at the moment.