6 replies to this topic

#1 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 05:55 AM

When I first got into Bond I splurged on Bond stuff, all the videos, all the books, then I got a DVD player and I got all the DVDs. Thank goodness I'm over it (well until B20) I was broke that summer. Has anyone else had this problem?

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 04:26 AM

I don't tend to buy collectibles, I of course have the movies (and will buy the DVDs when I get a DVD player) and some books--the library's just down the street, and I haven't seen any signed copies in local bookstores, ;-) .

But other than that I don't really go for collectibles. I'd like Jaws' teeth though, now that I think of it!

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 03:48 AM

Where do I begin? If you count soundtrack albums, I was 6 when I got my first Bond collectible, that was in 1973. I began serious collecting in 1979 or 1980. It's risen and risen since then to the point where it's basically all in storage.

When each new film comes out, I get the usual stuff, but focus a lot on magazines, newspapers and other literature. The DVDs were the sole reason I originally bought a DVD player. I've tried to moderate my spending lately, especially in the last year. You find out paying property taxes and things sometimes take priority of an original Corgi moon buggy. I did splurge and picked up a TND shirt from eBay a couple weeks ago. I try not to spend too much time there, though, as I may get more than I can afford. But I get amazed at seeing a lot of the same names on there bidding for things time and again. Where do some of these people get their cash? With all that's promised from the new film, I'm trying to keep my expenses as caught up as possible. I can just see my wife's face now.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 06:01 AM

Yep, I went on e-bay and got all the books :) Plus copies!

#5 OO7Qbranch

OO7Qbranch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 04:17 AM

oh man i know what y mean. I went to this hugebond collectrs house and saw al of his stuff. got hme went crazy on bay. it's been about a year and now im broke. but i do have a few SoBe Lizard drink bottles filled with change all going to bond.

#6 White Knight

White Knight

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 10:53 PM

I remember buing all of the dvds once i got a dvd player. I was broke after.

#7 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 07:23 AM

There was a point in my collecting life where I would buy everything I could get my hands on. I remember one day I received about 35 boxes of Bond stuff in the mail. Every bit of it was bought off of ebay or SpyGuise, too. I've got a collection of around 1000 pieces now and I've had to tame the buying down a bit simply because I am running out of room for it all. I've taken to buying stills from the films now because they are easily stored. I've probably got over 750 stills (so maybe the should bring my total to 1750 +), all in books and file cabinets listed by the film or author, etc.

I've also spent more time saving my paychecks so I can travel (12 days, New York and London here I come!!!)!