82 replies to this topic

#31 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:04 PM

Enjoy Serpent's Tooth John. It's my favorite.

My favorite thing about permission to die was Kerim Bey's daughter. Not that I am a big fan of bringing in Fleming character's off-spring, but I love the character design. I'm a sucker for gypsy girls!

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

John great article. I always wondered why the last 2 issues of Silent Armageddon failed to see print. (You would think they would have figured that out before printing issues 1 and 2. Also why did n't they just change the character's name to something like Goldfinger Jr. or Larrgo Jr. instead?)

View Post

I've updated the article with some VERY IMPORTANT information about the cancelled issues 3 & 4 of A Silent Armageddon. The real story.

A Silent Armageddon (1993)
Written by Simon Jowett. Scheduled to appear in 4 parts, but only parts 1 and 2 were ever published. It has become 007 urban ledged that the final issues being cancelled because they featured the son of Ernst Stavro Blofeld, but this is not true. Although fully scripted, the artist slipped so far behind deadline on Issue 3 that the publishers refused to solicit either issue until Issue 4 was also complete. The artist never delivered the art for that final issue, hence, the series was never completed.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

Read 'Serpents Tooth' last night and I thought it was EXCELLENT is all aspects. :)

I feel like I saw a new Bond movie last night. :)

#34 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, great artwork by Gulacy. Makes you wish for an ongoing James Bond comics series, doesn't it?

MM

#35 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='27 May 2005 - 20:41']Read 'Serpents Tooth' last night and I thought it was EXCELLENT is all aspects.

#36 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

Cool article Zencat. I have a lot of those comic books. Mostly the original series though, I never really got into the movie adaptations. It's pretty much the same with the novels, I bought the movie books but never bothered to read them since I'd already seen the movies.

I think I liked Mike Grell's drawings the best. He seemed to capture Fleming's description of Bond pretty well.

I'll go through sometime soon and figure out which ones I have and list them. I was always bummed about not getting the rest of Silent Armegeddon.

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

Gave A Silent Armageddon a re-read last night (I'm glad I'm doing this because I really don't remember these) and it is a shame the series was never completed because it sure left off with a cliffhanger -- a red-haired henchmen named Klebb. Could there be a relation to Rosa? I guess we will never know.

Striking how different ASA is from Serpents Tooth in tone and style (and the artwork reflects this). Much more gritty and very violent. Very. Someone pointed out in their letters section (I had forgotten that comics always had a fan letter reaction section -- the original forums) that ASA is more like a Bond novel and ST is more like a film. I agree with this.

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

Shattered Helix: Pretty good, but felt too short (but maybe that's because it was my first 2 issue after all these 4 issue stories).

One thing I really like about both ASA and SH is how very unBondian they are. No gadgets, Q-scenes, quips, PPKs, etc. They are very tough and straightforward and realistic with none of the Bond kitsch. I like this, and at the same time I don't like it. Reading these books I wonder if Eon is going for a similar style with CR. Let's start with a guy name James Bond and that is all. These books are very interesting in that regard. Good work.

#39 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:02 AM

I bought Serpent's tooth the otherday, I read it in under an hour. Just out of curiosity, does anybody know who publishes Bond Comic Books? I know there is a Young Bond Graphic novel due next year.

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:36 AM

[quote name='hcmv007' date='18 June 2005 - 19:02']I bought Serpent's tooth the otherday, I read it in under an hour.

#41 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:27 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='18 June 2005 - 21:36'][quote name='hcmv007' date='18 June 2005 - 19:02']I bought Serpent's tooth the otherday, I read it in under an hour.

#42 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

Gave A Silent Armageddon a re-read last night (I'm glad I'm doing this because I really don't remember these) and it is a shame the series was never completed because it sure left off with a cliffhanger -- a red-haired henchmen named Klebb. Could there be a relation to Rosa? I guess we will never know.

View Post

Writer Simon Jowett revealed that it was Rosa Klebb's son; the result of a drunken fling/semi-rape apparantly. I think the quote's in the Bond files.

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

I just bought the For Your Eyes Only issue #1 and #2 set, so hopefully those will be a good read when they arrive.

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

I just updated this story with information on the Semic Press Series. I've always run the Daily Express and Semic strips together in my mind, but thanks to Just Johnny's James Bond Comic website, I finally have the story straight (and I see Semic deserves it's own entry in my little "history").

Semic Press Series
Originally Semic Press in Scandinavia reprinted the Daily Express strips in their comic book entitled James Bond. Then, in 1981, Semic started publishing their own original stories with titles such as "Operation: UFO," "Experiment Z," and "Kill Bond!" The comic lasted until 1996. For a complete list of the Semic stories visit Just Johnny's James Bond Comic website.

Also updated with info on Japanese and Chilean comics, again, from information on Just Johnny's.

#45 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

Interesting! There always seems to be more comics around in ther 007 world.

#46 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:58 PM

Being both a Bond and Comics lover, I find the whole issue fascinating. Let me just state a couple of thoughts...

Serpent's tooth is awful, both as a Bond story and as a comic. Artwork is really bad. Maybe it appeals to american readers who are used and like -I never understood why- these kind of comic books, but definitely untalented IMO.

ASA does not feel like Bond. It is saved by excellent artwork by John Burns, who has worked on Modesty Blaise strip cartoon for a short period.

PTD was decent, but suffered from an overwhelming need of both writer and artist to show off their knowledge about Bond- something rather usual in fan art. Shattered Helix had some potential, but never delivered. Quasimodo Gambit just sucked.

Apart from the strip cartoons, the closest ever to bond in a comic format is Tintin (James Bond Jr, it seems, but it is profoundly interrelated to Bond).

I was wondering... Wouldn' t it be great if they started releasing new Bond comic books again, in the intervals of films? This could give the opportunity to do things that they could not do in the films (obviously, this does not include dinosaurs...). For example, they could make period comics, taking place in the sixties, seventies and so on, or even in the fifties. No continuity necessary. They could even depict actors (Connery, Moore etc) depending on the period.

If such an opportunity arose, I 'd be glad to work for it, having written a dozen of Bond stories for comics myself, and being a cartoonist.

#47 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

[quote name='stromberg' date='20 May 2005 - 12:24' post='408200']
Great work, as usual, John.

I've got the Spanish version of the AVTAK comic.

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

I've got the Spanish version of the AVTAK comic.

How is that one?

#49 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

I've just posted up an UPDATED VERSION of this article on my Young Bond site. NSNA as a comic? Aparently, it happened. Added many new pics and a terrific page from Serpents Tooth as a bonus. It's Bond baby. :)

#50 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:55 AM

Curious. I wonder what that NSNA comic was like.

But anyway, this past year I was able to get ahold of two of the Bond comic series (PERMISSION TO DIE and SERPENT'S TOOTH, and I previously had the two released issues of A SILENT ARMAGEDDON).

PERMISSION TO DIE is nice because of the little touches throughout that make it a worthwhile read for Bond fans. There are truly some great moments throughout (Bond recalling Tracy's death in a melancholy moment is handled brilliantly). Is it coherent? Nah. But it's pretty enjoyable for what it is.

SERPENT'S TOOTH is a more coherent adventure than PERMISSION TO DIE, but is really not that great. It has very little actual story to it and is mostly action-based, and that doesn't work particularly well. The dialogue is bad enough to make Purvis and Wade seem deserving of an Oscar, and the story is so outlandish as to make MOONRAKER look realistic.

#51 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hey gang. Here's a brief (and probably incomplete) history of 007 comics and graphic novels, chock full of cover pics, including the "banned" GoldenEye #2 cover. Enjoy.

Posted Image
When Bond Battled Dinosaurs
A Brief History of 007 Comics & Graphic Novels

:) Bravo! Nice work, well done mate :P

#52 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Just found a cover of silent armegedon on ebay and have bought it. the story seems so far quite good, but so incomplete.

Must say it is a lot more of a darker approach on Bond then we have yet seen

What happened to issues three and four?

#53 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Just found a cover of silent armegedon on ebay and have bought it. the story seems so far quite good, but so incomplete.

Must say it is a lot more of a darker approach on Bond then we have yet seen

What happened to issues three and four?

Besides the information already supplied in this CBn article, there is this website: http://home9.inet.tele.dk/oreskov/

#54 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

I've just read Serpants tooth and it is Bond cross Jurrasic park.

I saw shades of AUF and EON in there, and off course nods to Moonraker. IT seem far fetched for a Bond story.

#55 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

I've just read Serpants tooth and it is Bond cross Jurrasic park.

A bit, yes. They definitely came up with some improbable scenarios for these stories once in a while.

#56 pat006

pat006

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

anyone knows haow to contact justjohnny??
there's not an email address in his site!

#57 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:46 AM

NSNA as a comic? Aparently, it happened.

Really? Was this actually published? Where?

#58 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:53 AM

NSNA as a comic? Aparently, it happened.

Really? Was this actually published? Where?

Never Say Never Again (1984)
Argentinean publisher Editora Columba, who published several original Spanish-language James Bond film adaptations in various D'artagnan comic magazines during the

#59 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:01 AM

[quote name='zencat' post='790393' date='6 November 2007 - 19:53']Never Say Never Again (1984)
Argentinean publisher Editora Columba, who published several original Spanish-language James Bond film adaptations in various D'artagnan comic magazines during the

#60 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:53 AM

It's D'Artagnan Comics "Nunca Digas Nunca Jamas." It's a color comic, with art that's about on a par with the other Spanish comics. The story represents a pretty faithful rendering of the movie plot. I hope to get a chance to post a couple of scans soon.